Kamil
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just wondering if people log their play throughs under the boardgame section when they finish playing the digital version of a particular game? For example, I bought Twilight Struggle on iOS when it first came out and I'm finally dedicating some time to actually learn the game.. BTW it's fantastic

I'm planning on eventually buying Terra Mystica on the iOS as well due to not really having anyone available to play the game with. The game is way to dense/complex for the wife and most of my friends are not willing to spend the time learning more complex games. So it appears that my only choice is the digital version for these type of games.

I'm planning on logging play throughs of those two games (Twilight/Mystica) and was wondering if it's frowned upon by the community? I would like to do things correctly here as per my previous thread about rating boardgames based on their digital version.

However, I don't think logging play throughs affects any type of metric that's available on the site so I'm assuming it's really up to the user in the end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Russell
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I have seen it both ways - I generally log some of my solitaire games (Onirim, Baseball Highlights solo), but not games against an AI (Twilight Struggle, Star Realms, Baseball Highlights against the AI).

I also don't log when it gets to saturation point - I've probably played nearly 200 games of Onirim on the app... but don't really feel the need to log that many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Messier104 wrote:
I have seen it both ways - I generally log some of my solitaire games (Onirim, Baseball Highlights solo), but not games against an AI (Twilight Struggle, Star Realms, Baseball Highlights against the AI).

That's a good point... I'll probably only log games when I play someone online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't do a lot of App games.

But, when I do. I log them mostly as video game plays if I am playing alone or against an AI.

On the rare occasion I am using it as a easy replacement to aboard and do pass and play with Face to Face players, I log as a play.

I haven't done either of the above in a couple years though.

I don't log my 'on-line' plays with 'faceless' people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a digital board game is exactly the same as the physical boardgame, then I chose to start logging the play. I am playing the game - so what is the game? Is it the physical components that sit in front of you, or the rules and the decisions made during play? Does it require a human brain to heuristically process the data or can a human write out an algorithm for play and give it to a computer? Initially I didn't record these plays, but in the end I changed my view on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I log them. I don't care if it is AI or not. I played it. I log it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't log them. I don't care if it is human or not. I played it. I don't log it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Croft
United States
Smithfield
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I log all of mine. I didn't use to, but after playing over a dozen games each of Puerto Rico & Agricola, I felt like I knew the games well enough to rate. And the rating seemed silly without logged plays to back it up. Personal preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like it all depends on personal preference rather than following a general community rule.. Really appreciate all the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Gnarlo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
LESS FILLING
badge
Guy Smiley
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly log all of mine; if I played a solo game of Race to the Galaxy, or Mage Knight, or any other physical board game with an "AI" opponent I'd log it, so I don't see the reason not to with an electronic AI... If it's the same rules, I'm still "playing the game"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ilikebugs wrote:
It seems like it all depends on personal preference rather than following a general community rule.. Really appreciate all the feedback!

My personal preference is to just log real-life plays, either with other people or solo. I sometimes forget to log solo plays of quicker games like Onirim and Castellion, but not meatier games that have a solo option.

In the end, it's really just your personal preference.

BTW, the Terra Mystica app, while it makes learning new strategies easier when playing against the AI, is a bit of a drag when playing a ranked game against real people. Since a player has 72 hours to make a move, the games can drag on for weeks. I enjoy playing different factions against the app to see how well I can do with the "weaker" factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@OP

How you choose to log your plays is entirely up to you. If you want to record how many games you have of TS or TM (whether Digital or not), go right ahead and log your plays.

People use these metrics in all sorts of ways, don't let "some" others tell you how you can or can't use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb

Find you own balance. After a bazillion games of Star Realms in phone/tablet I only log those v real people face-to-face.

When playing a longer game, with more thought and time commitment required , even if the game was on Vassal or a dedicated app, I log those game plays. These entries would have a note to remind me it was an online play.

Another option to keep your tabletop and computer records separate is to log your physical game plays on BoardGameGeek, and your computer plays on VideoGameGeek.

I go into a lot of detail, too much, in an article on my blog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't log digital plays if they are played real-time but I do log them if they are played over a long period of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only log physical plays. I enjoy boardgames for their non-digitalness and the personal interaction. Digital versions are just a weak substitute for me.

Furthermore, I log my games so I can see when and how often I find the time to put which game on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I log all plays against human opponents. I also log solo games I play with a physical game. I don't typically play against computer opponents, but if I do, I don't log it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only log physical games played. I do however rate games in the bgg database, sometimes, only played on a device.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.