Karsten Keese
Germany
Lauenau
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dear Masters of the colourful Brushes!

Since the setting for «Heroes of the Great War - Limanova 1914» is lesser known than the western front, finding information on the characters and personalities who fought in the battle or related encounters, historical background information and especially paint guides for the uniforms, etc., are a little more difficult to find than for other scenarios. For this reason, your humble servant asked for pointers on The Miniatures Page, where a few friendly gentlemen got me started and deserve the credit for some of the resources listed below.

In order to paint and present our little Heroes of the Great War in the best possible manner, the areas of interest are:

1.) Historical Background
Historical background information about the battle of Limanowa in December 1914 and related events, the personalities involved, confrontations that took place before, after and around this one, anything that helps to develop a «feeling» for the theme and setting.

2.) Animals during World War I
Not directly related to the game, but when looking at their contributions throughout history, man's best friends deserve to be remembered, too.

3.) Uniforms & Equipment
Colour schemes, drawings and pictures that show how to paint the uniforms, armour and weapons, etc., of the involved units.

4.) Colours needed
If possible and somebody happens to know them, a list of suitable colours (preferably acrylics, but enamel should do in the worst case) to paint the troops and equipment with historical accuracy.

5.) Coats of Arms & Heraldry
Unit insignia, flags and so on, to 'pimp' the game and flesh it out. If all the necessary details can be found regarding tactics, units, troop formations and looks, even playing out the battle(s) with a tabletop rule system might be worth considering. We only need to find more miniatures that are compatible with the HotGW figures, so that they do not all look like cloned Imperial Stormtroopers.

So far, the recommendations and search efforts yielded the following results:

1.) Historical Background
37 Days, a BBC production about the 37 days between the assessination in Sarajevo and the outbreak of the war.
Collision of Empires. The War on the Eastern Front in 1914, by Prit Buttar.
Fall of the Double Eagle. The Battle for Galicia and the Demise of Austria-Hungary, by John R. Schindler.
Ring of Steel. Germany and Austria-Hungary in World War I, by Alexander Watson.
The Central Powers on the Russian Front 1914 – 1918, by David Bilton.
The Russian Army in the first World War, by Nik Cornish.
The Russian Army in the Great War. The Eastern Front 1914-1917, by David R. Stone.
Austria-Hungary on Wikipedia.
Flag Officers of the imperial Russian navy 1914-1918 and peasants in uniform in the Tsarist Armies.
• New Zealand History on Austria-Hungary and Russia.
Russia's Great War and Revolution.
Short-lived States after WW I, maps and information about the 'autonomous nations' that briefly appeared and vanished after 1917.
Summary of World War I, the Balance of Power, the situation of prisoners of war and the WW I Timeline.
The Great War, by Spartacus Olsson, David Voss and Alex 'Indiana' Neidell.
Witness of War, a documentary series with personal stories produced by the BBC.

2.) Animals in Military Service and War
Animal Heroes of the Great War, by Ernest Harold Baynes.
Animals and War, by Matthew Shaw.
Animals and War. Confronting the Military-Animal Industrial Complex, by Judy K.C. Bentley, Anthony J. Nocella and Colin Salter.
Animals and War. Studies of Europe and North America, by Ryan Hediger.
Horses and World War I on Ypres.
Horses in World War I, on Wikipedia.
Remembering the Animal Heroes of WW I, by Simon Worrall.
The 9 million unsung Heroes of WW1, by Melissa Thompson.
The Horses of World War I, by Emily Upton.
The Role of Horses in World War I, by Alexander Collin.
Unshakeable Courage of the real War Horses, by Robert Hardman.
War Dogs. A History of Loyalty and Heroism, by Michael G. Lemish.
World War I in Photos - Animals at War, by Alan Taylor.

3.) Uniforms & Weapons
Army Uniforms of World War I, by Andrew Mollo.
Military Uniforms & Weapons. The Poster Book of World War I, by Andrew Mollo.
The Austro-Hungarian Forces in World War I (1), 1914–16, Men-at-Arms 392 by Peter Jung.
The Austro-Hungarian Forces in World War I (2), 1916-18, Men-at-Arms 397 by Peter Jung.
The Russian Army 1914–18, Men-at-Arms 364 by Nik Cornish.
C&Rsenal.
Forgotten Weapons.
Guns Magazine 360° views.
InRange.
Patriot Files and Moritz Ruhl.
• Austria-Hungary: cap badges, rank insignia and medals.
• Russian Empire: Mark's Russian Military History and Alexander Palace Time Machine, Schuster and other outfits for reenactors,
.. Regimental brooches, Russian ranks & insignia.

4.) Colours
Austro-Hungarian Army: Games Workshop «Shadow Gray», Vallejo 905 «Bluegrey» or what comes close to the kaiserliches
.. und königliches Egalisierungsschema (imperial and royal equalization scheme).
• Russian Empire: ???

5.) Flags, Coat of Arms, Heraldry & Insignia
• Austria-Hungary: Coat of arms, rank flags.
• Russian Empire: imperial standard, imperial state flag, flags of the Russian Empire and cities.

• Flags of other nations: Worldwide list of country flags in 1914 and in detail by nation.

This list should get us started when creating scenarios, painting the armies, etc., but it is of course far from complete. Consequently, if anyone comes across additional sources and reference materials (especially about the colours to use for painting the figures), please do not hesitate to share them. Pointers as to where one could begin the research with a focus on painting guides are welcome, too.

Thank you for your attention and have a pleasant day. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sasvari
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmb
WOW! Really awesome resource list!

I like the creative usage of links especially!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sasvari
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmb
As my favorite German guy, Karsten, mentioned, it's imperative to develop a feeling for the theme. I think, knowing more about the historical background of World War I would help a lot to understand, what was the reason the great empires went to war for. We need to get into the tiny details of the summer of 1914, those last months were critical, although they don't really explain, why the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand was the cassus belli for a war of such a magnitude which deserved the title, the Great War.

Let's start here, with the beautifully painted show of Extra History:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qui Peccavit
Angola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There must be more ...
sasy0174 wrote:
It's imperative to develop a feeling for the theme.

Funny show there, and maybe what it takes to get more people interested in history beyond Hollywood. It may not be imperative to learn about the historical background of a game in order to play it, but it deepens the involvement and increases the fun level.

I am wondering if Gladiator Games might have anything to add to the list above? I mean, a game author/designer/publisher often invests a lot of time and effort in this kind of research, and I remember a company representative mentioning somewhere that HotGW has been a brainchild for ten years and been in development for two, so is there material you could share with us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Horvath
Hungary
flag msg tools
Karsten list is so precious I don't add so many other information.

As we wrote before our games theme origin was an animated film where we try to collect all information about this battle and units. Here you can see (Hungarian narrative with English subtitle)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNWvcLaGEzo

But, here is my favourite Russian general (from this game). His sculpt is KS exclusive, and he is so badass.
Here is General Edward Vladimirovich Ekk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qui Peccavit
Angola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The master beat me to it on YouTube, but I agree with him: such a nice video belongs on the campaign page as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sasvari
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmb
rumcajszhu wrote:
But, here is my favourite Russian general (from this game). His sculpt is KS exclusive, and he is so badass.
Here is General Edward Vladimirovich Ekk

Look at that beard! Just look at it!

When I first saw the designs for his sculpt, I thought the modelling guy was either drunk or is only joking, but that they have shown me the source material (like the picture which my friend and colleague Zsolt presented for us) and I was a bit stunned that such a man with that beard could climb up to the rank of General in the Russian Army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Horvath
Hungary
flag msg tools
I found a closer picture about this mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gee Mand
Hungary
flag msg tools
You know about this hungarian source? Just for curiosity.

http://www.bibl.u-szeged.hu/bibl/mil/ww1/nonay/index.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andras Komporday
msg tools
designer
I did not (I cannot speak in the name of my teammates), but in my defense, I did not partake in the historical research, during the game development. But I'll look into it, thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Horvath
Hungary
flag msg tools
GeeFeel Right wrote:
You know about this hungarian source? Just for curiosity.
http://www.bibl.u-szeged.hu/bibl/mil/ww1/nonay/index.html

Yes I do, but not for this game. We made a short animated film about Przemysl last year, you can see it in Museum of Military History.
When we collect information for this film I saw this book. It was interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, what a great example of research and passion about the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Keese
Germany
Lauenau
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a lighter note ...
In the time until the relaunch, here are a few fights between famous protagonists of the era:

Even in the darkest of times, people need some laughter to cope with the horrors of daily routine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.