Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Akers
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first ever attempt at a sell sheet. If you have any feedback I'd be grateful for it! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like you smudged it, making it hard to read.

I get that's a 'look' you're going for, but it leaves a negative impression that makes me not want to struggle to actually read whatever it is.

Also, 1-6 players is pretty much always a lie.

I also cannot make out whatever it is that looks like player boards around the central 'table'. Am I suposed to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your "gameplay" section seems like it's at least 50% theme, which is odd given that you have a separate "theme" section. Personally, I would want to focus more on the gameplay. (Then again, I tend to prioritize gameplay more than many people.)

I would try to find a more precise term than "co-op" if it's not a pure co-op. For instance, I might say that...

Diplomacy has "player alliances"
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game has "hidden teams"
Red November has "betrayal"

If you can't find anything better, you could probably use "semi co-op". I don't like the term, because it's vague and I associate it with games that are essentially competitive but with a poorly-integrated "everybody loses" condition, but at least it conveys that you are shooting for something other than pure co-op or perfect competition.

byronczimmer wrote:
Also, 1-6 players is pretty much always a lie.

Follow-up question: what would you do for the rare game that actually does support 1-6?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyatt Fertig
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you had time to look at other sell sheets yet? I would Google "board game sell sheet" if you haven't. Visually, I think the big differences I see between the typical sell sheet and yours is:

1. Color (most I see have some eye catching colors to draw someone in)
2. Pictures (Typically a picture of the box, prototype, and/or pieces on the table)
3. Larger font (I think a sell sheet should draw your reader in from about 5 feet away with a few sections of larger bold information, and then more specific smaller font information

Just my two cents, but it seems like you are really passionate about your game. Keep up the hard work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Akers
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your feedback. I'm currently waiting for better quality prototype parts to ship, then I will put pictures of the actual game on the sheet as suggested.

In regards to the follow-up question of "what would you do for the rare game that actually does support 1-6?" can you explain what you mean by this? Are you asking how it is different from say a four player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BCZ suggests that claims of 1-6 players trigger a negative reaction from him because he expects such claims to be lies. I'm asking him what he suggests the sell sheet should do if the claim is truthful (knowing that he will be inclined to disbelieve it anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Akers
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
BCZ suggests that claims of 1-6 players trigger a negative reaction from him because he expects such claims to be lies. I'm asking him what he suggests the sell sheet should do if the claim is truthful (knowing that he will be inclined to disbelieve it anyway).

Pandemic claims 2-4, the community has indicated 1-4. Why? Because a single player COULD play all four positions at the table, and frequently that is what happened (and is called the quarterback problem).

When I see 1-6, I want to know what level of player interaction there is at the high end of 5-6, and how that critical game element is removed or changed in the mid range (3-4), how it plays in heads up (exactly 2) or removed for solo play.

That's four different and distinct player counts and why I say that player count claims of 1-6 are a lie. A solo game and a game with six players should be very different.

I expect a game which can be played 2 players to have a good heads-up play.

I expect a game requiring 3+ players to have some multi-player interaction that requires a foil.

I expect a game requiring 5+ players to have certain rules or procedures that don't turn the game into a slog.

That is why I have a negative reaction to that player count claims that span 1-6. I don't believe them. It's too hard to please all player counts.

What would the sell sheet have to do to convince me otherwise? Probably include the rules so I could assess if the solo play is multi-handed, or if multi-player can be quarterbacked (both are negatives btw). If you're looking for an elevator speech level, you need to clearly state why the game is good across your player count range if it's not one of the traditional player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Akers
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see where you're coming from. Hopefully I can get a better taste of gameplay into the sell sheet revision to address that concern!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Politis
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
What would the sell sheet have to do to convince me otherwise? Probably include the rules so I could assess if the solo play is multi-handed, or if multi-player can be quarterbacked (both are negatives btw). If you're looking for an elevator speech level, you need to clearly state why the game is good across your player count range if it's not one of the traditional player counts.

I'm working on a game (Heirs of the Wizard King, KS this fall) that is a normally played 2-4. But because it is a semi-coop against an AI it is easy to modify into a solo game. It can also (with two copies) easily be played in teams (up to 8 players), but by having 2 active players the play time doesn't increase.

How would you list the player count on this game? 2-4, 1-4, 1-4 per deck, 1-8? What would you put on the sell sheet to explain this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpolitis wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

I'm working on a game (Heirs of the Wizard King, KS this fall) that is a normally played 2-4. But because it is a semi-coop against an AI it is easy to modify into a solo game. It can also (with two copies) easily be played in teams (up to 8 players), but by having 2 active players the play time doesn't increase.

How would you list the player count on this game? 2-4, 1-4, 1-4 per deck, 1-8? What would you put on the sell sheet to explain this?

If you really needed a player count on a 'sell sheet':

Players: 2-4
solo option
2-4 teams with two copies

Because that tells me everything concisely.

However, also realize that such a player count would be a huge red flag to me and I'd probably give the game a pass unless it looked like it was a really good 2-4 player game (and I'd ignore the other stuff).

But again, we're off the 'sell sheet' and on to the 'full copy of the rules' so I can assess the game on its merits, not on its advertising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.