Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Lommel
China
Chengdu
Sichuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kickstarted the second printing of Gloomhaven, hoping to play it with my wife later this year. She's never played this kind of "dungeon crawl" game before, though. I'm thinking of picking up Mice and Mystics as a lighter introduction to the genre. You know... so that when the 21 pound behemoth arrives she can say "Wow, it's like that fun mouse game, only bigger!" rather than "What the hell were you thinking?!" angry

Having not played either game, I'd appreciate any thoughts from those who have more experience.

I realize that the combat mechanics are quite different (Gloomhaven having a very tactical card-based system, while M&M is just a basic dice-chucker), but I'm hoping that too will work out well for us... Just as the dice-rolling starts getting old and we begin longing for more significant tactical decisions, that 21 pound box will magically appear on the doorstep! whistle

Thoughts or other suggestions, anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Mice and Mystics and think it could work as an introduction. I've heard Isaac in an interview state that Mice and Mystics provided inspiration for how initiative works in Gloomhaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
Netherlands
Leusden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have not yet played M&M but it is next up in my wishlist
and will prolly be buying it next month.

i do have castle ravenloft and i find that game simple enough
to serve as an introduction to dungeon crawls.
it is 100% cooperative and very easy to get into. though it only has a few optional rules for campaign style play with things from 1 game spilling over into the next, there is some homebrew stuff in the files section that seems pretty good.

to compare the 2: i think M&M has better art and more story going on,
but has environments made of single large tiles, whereas ravenloft uses smaller tiles to create a variable environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M&M is quite a lot simpler. It might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say skip Mice And Mystics, just to get that "What the hell were you thinking?!" Reaction. Then you'll both play it and feel better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apples and oranges.

Unless your wife is an avid board gamer and enjoys RPG elements, she's not going to sit through Gloomhaven.

Queue the naysayers. It's still true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerold Wallis

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big gap in complexity between the two.

Mice and Mystics is approachable by non-gamers and the combat is simple, heavy on theme. Gloomhaven is complex, fun, but definitely oriented toward gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics combat is very swingy. It is a game I would use to determine if someone might be interested in Gloomhaven, though.

Basically if after a session of M&M, players complain about the combat at all, I'd whip off the cloth covering Gloomhaven and proclaim "BEHOLD".

I wouldn't buy M&M, but that's because I already have Gloomhaven.

See if you can play a demo copy or a friend's copy first...?

(Oh. And I suppose M&M is easier to ease someone into dungeon crawling if that person liked the Redwall series of books.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Obviously, nowhere close to the same game, but I say give it a go. Descent 1st edition has long been in my top 2 games. My wife would never play a game like that. I got M&M not so I would get her into Descent, no chance, but so I could half way scratch that dungeon crawl itch. She loved it because of the cute little mice and the bedtime story stuff. We are on the very last chapter of the series and then we have only one lost chapter left. I hope they come out with a new expansion.

One time after playing M&M for awhile, she heard me and friends playing Descent. She commented on how she heard a bunch of the same words and planning and stuff for M&M, and they must be similar. If I introduced M&M and said that it was like Descent except for kids or easier, she never would have liked it. I suggest you don't say that M&M is like Gloomhaven Jr. At least not until she is addicted to it and then you can compare them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on why she would like M&M. If she likes it for the in depth story book and the dice rolled combat then she probably won't like Gloomhaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lommel
China
Chengdu
Sichuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts, everybody. I think I'll give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.