7 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Basic Characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Haunting Questions
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love this game, but I have a hard time getting new players to jump in just because it looks so complicated (despite my claims that it's actually really straightforward and intuitive once you play a round or two...). All the cards have their own new rule-set, which is intimidating for new players. :)

I feel like the game would be so much easier to teach if there were a wider pool of basic characters with no special abilities -- just a wider variety of icons & strengths & basic keywords. There are a lot of combinations. A 5-str Intrigue character with Stealth. Or a 3-str Military/Power character with Intimidate. Or a 7-str Power character. Or a 1-str Intrigue character with Renown. Or a 2-str Military/Intrigue/Power character.

There are a lot of combinations out there to make interesting characters that wouldn't require the game to stop for new players to pick up the card, read it, figure out the context, get confused, then resume the game. There are a few of these types of characters, but not that many overall.

I think the game is really great with all of its flavor from the cards' unique abilities, and once you learn (i.e., "memorize") all of the cards, it's so immersive and well-designed. It's just a matter of getting to that point for a lot of players...

There's probably no likelihood that we'll see more basic cards to help us make learner decks, is there? :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
HauntingQuestions wrote:
There's probably no likelihood that we'll see more basic cards to help us make learner decks, is there?

Nope, no chance of that. But there's no reason you can't pretend each character card is blank (other than keywords) and introduce your friends that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
HauntingQuestions wrote:
There's probably no likelihood that we'll see more basic cards to help us make learner decks, is there?

Nope, no chance of that. But there's no reason you can't pretend each character card is blank (other than keywords) and introduce your friends that way.

Yeah, this is the obvious fix. For your teaching games, treat all character text boxes as blank. Remove any confusing events or locations. Don't forget you dont even need legal decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow, what a great topic/question!

First, the above two replies are superb ideas and are definitely worth trying! I hadn't actually thought of that. I like that idea.

Yet there's another path that's perfect for your situation, which came to mind even before I finished reading your OP...

If you would rather get them into the game without having to modify any card text or rules, I would highly recommend Game of Thrones: The Card Game !!! This version is the "HBO" version. It was produced by FFG for the mass market who know Game of Thrones mostly by the TV show. I picked-up my copy at a Target store and I've seen them in bookstores, etc. You can buy a copy at Amazon for $19 (see link below).

It's essentially the same game, but much more streamlined. The card text is simple, and not as verbose. There are only three keywords to keep track of (if my memory serves). Plus, the decks are pre-built, with a Lannister and a Stark deck. (And there's no way to add any more cards to the game... those decks are it).

So whenever I want to introduce new players to the game, I always use the HBO version to introduce/teach them (unless they have experience with other LCGs). Then if they like that introduction and want more, I pull out the 2nd edition and go from there... usually offering them a decklist of whichever faction they played with the HBO version. And with that experience, they usually have fun pulling the 2nd ed cards from my collection to build their decks for the "Adult" version of the game!

Here's the link to Amazon (CSI and MM may also have it - I haven't checked):
https://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-Card-HBO/dp/1616615885/r...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haunting Questions
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow -- thanks everybody!!!

If I use sleeves, I could easily enough tape over the body text on most of the cards to help overtly simplify the rules. It might unbalance the game, but for the sake of learning the game, it would probably be worth it.

As for the HBO version of the game... this definitely seems worth the $20 purchase. The way they integrate the images into the cards looks a little cheesy, but if it streamlines the game, this might be exactly what I'm looking for... and maybe even fun for a few veterans to go to every once in a while for a change of pace. :)

Thanks everybody!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

And concerning the HBO version... I forgot to mention that there are fan-made decks for Baratheon and Targaryen available in the game's files section (here on BGG, that is).

They are VERY GOOD decks (modded from the AGoT 1st ed game). I actually bothered to have the decks printed by an online printer for @ $7 a deck. So now my HBO version has four decks in the box.
Again, it's a superb way of introducing newbies to the game - to "test the waters" so to speak!

A lot of people agree with you about the "cheesiness" of the images... but remember that the game was/is marketed toward the crowd that only knows Game of Thrones by the TV show, where as the "big brother" card game - in its original CCG format - was in 2008, for those who were fans of - or at least had knowledge of - the books.

So I excuse the use of TV show images in this case - they match the target audience, which again, are newbies to the game. Plus I've never minded the use of studio stills in any game. I find them more immersive than artwork, actually. Though I appreciate artwork more. So I guess I'm an equal-opportunity fan of either approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haunting Questions
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered the HBO version. If nothing else, most of the cards look different, so it might be fun to play for a little variety. I looked at some of the custom decks, and they seem like they might be a nice addition, too.

If I may ask, where did you print your custom decks? I imagine they didn't come out perfect -- you probably had to sleeve them?

Thanks for the tip -- I'm looking forward to the purchase coming in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.