Popular Tags: [View All]
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

From the looks of the photos and impressions it seems like the token are gone? Personally I would like a simpler system.

Can anyone at CMON Expo confirm???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pickelsimer
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the shadow mode activation is gone. Now all you do is look at the board and if you are in a shadow space you get the shadow mode bonus. There are some abilities that give access to shadow mode in other situations. Such as the one character's first attack is always considered to be in shadow mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Langis
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But... we paid extra for plastic tokens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
seblangis wrote:

And the extra plastic tokens are gone too (you lost 6 pieces of plastic, but maybe get another new ones). I don't care, the change in shadow mode rules are awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would gladly lose some tokens for a system that actually works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this change sounds like an improvement to me. does this also mean, you do not need to use an action to go into shadow mode? that always bugged me, when I watched previews of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LX1986 wrote:
this change sounds like an improvement to me. does this also mean, you do not need to use an action to go into shadow mode? that always bugged me, when I watched previews of the game.

Thematically I took it to mean that it takes time to settle into shadow mode--you can't just step into a shadow and immediately have a special uber power you can use. But if the new method improves the game I'm all for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dpickels wrote:
Yes, the shadow mode activation is gone. Now all you do is look at the board and if you are in a shadow space you get the shadow mode bonus. There are some abilities that give access to shadow mode in other situations. Such as the one character's first attack is always considered to be in shadow mode.

Thanks for the quick answer! Awesome, that sounds actually much better than the original system.

Kudos to the devs for going back to the design table... hope we get more impressions from the expo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolf Christensen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think this change is an improvement over the shadowmode that was during the kickstarter. The first shadowmode we heard about, where you had to use one of your actions, seemed to be rarely used because the shadow mode bonus wasn't big enough to spend one of your precious actions on. The second version of shadowmode where most characters got a free shadow action made it into something you just used because it was free, no decisions just a mindless I'll do it because it's free.

The new version encourages you to engage in specific tiles on the map, and avoid fighting in the light so it makes you take some decisions, even if they are small it's actually a concious choice now and not just a never use, or always use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rofle wrote:
I think this change is an improvement over the shadowmode that was during the kickstarter. The first shadowmode we heard about, where you had to use one of your actions, seemed to be rarely used because the shadow mode bonus wasn't big enough to spend one of your precious actions on. The second version of shadowmode where most characters got a free shadow action made it into something you just used because it was free, no decisions just a mindless I'll do it because it's free.

The new version encourages you to engage in specific tiles on the map, and avoid fighting in the light so it makes you take some decisions, even if they are small it's acteually a concious choice now and not just a never use, or always use.

Yep, basically, they changed the game for a more fast paced action (and probably more simple system to shadow mode), than a more clunky game mechanic, maintained the core essence for tactical attacks and effects.

Have seeying lots of bonus on skills and items in shadow tiles, but can be really interesting if light can have bonus for some type of skills/items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Langis
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kraisto wrote:
seblangis wrote:

And the extra plastic tokens are gone too (you lost 6 pieces of plastic, but maybe get another new ones). I don't care, the change in shadow mode rules are awesome.

It's alright, I saw an unknown new token on one of the pictures. My money isn't gone for nothing.

Look near the head of Siegfried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, this looks awesome! Can not wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
seblangis wrote:
kraisto wrote:
seblangis wrote:

It's alright, I saw an unknown new token on one of the pictures. My money isn't gone for nothing.

Yep, and theres lots of new tokens for tiles, markers, etc, probably you will get more tokens than the original print
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rofle wrote:

The new version encourages you to engage in specific tiles on the map, and avoid fighting in the light so it makes you take some decisions, even if they are small it's actually a concious choice now and not just a never use, or always use.

It definitely seems better than the original two versions of Shadow Mode we saw. I think it still might shift more towards the ladder version though, where you use it constantly (at least for range). I mean melee will have a tougher time staying on a shadow tile and also being in range to attack, but range units can just sit back and keep firing from shadow mode to get their bonus?

Of course it's still going to work out better, I imagine, since some monsters will be in rooms and out of LOS, around corners, etc. making the range come close to engage or making them stand in light tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Im pretty sure those 2 tiles on the table arent the only tiles in the whole mission/episode theyre doing.. and if not that game takes up a ton of space just with 2 tiles. Youd need an abnormally large table to actually play this game lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pickelsimer
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duomaxwell007 wrote:
Im pretty sure those 2 tiles on the table arent the only tiles in the whole mission/episode theyre doing.. and if not that game takes up a ton of space just with 2 tiles. Youd need an abnormally large table to actually play this game lol

The mission that we ran for the demos was Mission 0 from the book, basically the tutorial scenario. We needed to make sure we could give a proper experience of the game and still let a lot of people play since we only had one copy to demo at the expo. Most demos still ran around an hour. The first real scenario uses 4 tiles and 2 bridge tiles (think one square size from a standard tile). Five of us tried out that scenario late one night and it took us around 2 1/2 hours. As far as the table size goes, keeping up with all the miniatures was the biggest table hog of the game. :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
based on the picture Id say those tiles are taking up more space than the mini's lol in fact I notice one of the players standing up ad leaning to place his pieces. a good table length would allow a person to reach whatever they need to while staying in a seated position and not having to lean forward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dpickels wrote:
duomaxwell007 wrote:

The mission that we ran for the demos was Mission 0 from the book, basically the tutorial scenario. We needed to make sure we could give a proper experience of the game and still let a lot of people play since we only had one copy to demo at the expo. Most demos still ran around an hour. The first real scenario uses 4 tiles and 2 bridge tiles (think one square size from a standard tile). Five of us tried out that scenario late one night and it took us around 2 1/2 hours. As far as the table size goes, keeping up with all the miniatures was the biggest table hog of the game.

Hmm that is longer than I hoped, and I guess there are scenarios with five tiles... do you think it could be done faster somehow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
duomaxwell007 wrote:
based on the picture Id say those tiles are taking up more space than the mini's lol in fact I notice one of the players standing up ad leaning to place his pieces. a good table length would allow a person to reach whatever they need to while staying in a seated position and not having to lean forward

The twitter picture shows what's going on better. Most of the table looks like just has stuff spread out on it for people to look at rather than being used to play. https://twitter.com/WatchItPlayed/status/863897833707114496

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pickelsimer
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:

Hmm that is longer than I hoped, and I guess there are scenarios with five tiles... do you think it could be done faster somehow?

Yes, it can be a longer game. It seems to scale well as the number of minions spawned and the health of the monsters is a multiplied by the number of players. We played the first mission with 5 players. Most of us had played at least one game, two of us had been demoing for 2 days, but it was late and several of us hadn't had much sleep so time could have been a little long. This is a game that you could probably cut down on the time by playing with fewer players. With fewer players you have to make sure you have a balanced group as some monsters/minions are better to attack with range and some are better with melee. The down side is you will have fewer health with fewer people, but I think this will be balanced by getting more treasure per person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne BREAUD
France
flag msg tools
seblangis wrote:
kraisto wrote:
seblangis wrote:

Those tokens aren't listed in the last Rulebook, do you think they will come as bonuses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Langis
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tefen wrote:
Those tokens aren't listed in the last Rulebook, do you think they will come as bonuses?

I think they are in the Rulebook. Try to find them...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Rulebook, page 45 wrote:
• Fireworks. Use a facedown Treasure token to represent a Firework Item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.