Hide
3 Posts

Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Overburdened System rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Healy
msg tools
After reading a couple of the item house rule systems on this thread I thought of making my own that would incorporate an overburdening system, essentially it allows a play to equip any item the find regardless of the stat requirements, but it comes with penalties. Here's what I have so far:

All items can be equipped. If an equipped items stat requirements are higher than the players current stats place a red cube on the item and fill the required upgrade slots with black cubes. Black cubes represent how overburdened a character is. Being overburdened has tiered penalties.

Tier 1: For every 2 black cubes (rounded up) in a tier 1 stat slot the player regains one less stamina at the start of their turn.

Tier 2: For every 2 black cubes (rounded up) in a tier 2 stat slot the player must subtract 1 from each dice they roll (excluding dodge dice).

Tier 3: For each black cube in a tier 3 the player must expend and additional stamina for each red cube on their items every time they would move or expend stamina.

When playing with the campaign rules a player cannot place a black cube on a Tier 4 slot.

Dodge penalty: Dodge dice on items with a red cube cannot be used.

Hope it all makes sense! I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but I flicked through the treasure deck and tested some items to see what the penalties would be and it seems fair to me. Hope you all like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Healy
msg tools
I've now played through a few encounters with this and found that the tier 2 punishment was far too harsh, and tier 3 was not enough. So I swapped them round and it felt much better, still working on it though. Those rules now read:

Tier 2: For every 2 black cubes (rounded up) in a tier 2 stat slot the player must expend and additional stamina for each red cube on their items every time they would move or expend stamina.

Tier 3: For each black cube in a tier 3 the player must subtract 1 from each dice roll (excluding dodge dice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb

I like this idea because it mirrors the video game and helps with the item deck so many people complain about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.