Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Stapleton
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Yggdrasil seems to be cost prohibitive what games are like it?

I would like to just get a copy as my wife has played it in the past and liked it so I am very interested in trying.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never actually played Yggdrasil, so everything I know about it comes from Rahdo's runthrough, but the gameplay in that video impressed me enough to put this game on the my wishlist. Like you, it's been too expensive for me to pick up on the secondary market. It's been a while since I watched that video, but, from what I recall, I think Shadows over Camelot is mechanically pretty similar. Nowhere near as challenging though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Burns
United States
Mantua
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Yggdrasil is a great co-op. Pandemic is pretty close for game play and feeling thematic to me and it's readily available. For more of a fantasy co-op game Legends of Andor is somewhat similar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Speidel
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
what are you looking at?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories is a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find any other game really like Yggdrasil...other than sharing the co-op factor.
That being said, Yggdrasil does make pretty good use of the Nordic Myth theme in using the various favors of deities to fight the march of angry deities...and there is another game that attempts to do a similar thing with the Nordic deities, but with a different approach than in Yggdrasil. It is called Asgard.

It is a medium-heavy euro-style game, and it is NOT a co-op; you are trying to do better than your opponent(s) at using Deity favors to win the battle at Ragnarok. It is not a war-game, this is strictly euro, but may be well worth trying if you enjoy the theme.

I do believe it is avaliable from the 'What's Your Game' website for about 40 euros...(I'm guessing about 45-50 US dollars.

Also, If you enjoy the co-op aspect, Ghost Stories has a Chinese ghost fighting theme, it can be difficult to win, (not to play), but it works well as a co-op offering interesting choices. I would want the expansion Ghost Stories: White Moon since it contains elements to help win. The art is done by Piero who is the same artist who did Yggdrasil as well.
Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost stories is the only real similar game in feel, theme, difficulty and mechanics. It's dice dependent, requires a lot of cooperation and the enemies will beat you up.

Andor has some similarities, but not much replay. Pandemic is not much alike (imo) and not a favorite of mine angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nagoya5 wrote:
Ghost Stories is a good one.
Yea I came to say Ghost Stories. It has the same artist, so the two are somewhat visually similar, although drawing from different mythologies. Like Yggdrasil, it is also a close-to-impossible cooperative game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.