Subject: Rauros Falls - Location rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hitbaz 47
Brazil
South Carolina
flag msg tools
This Location says:
"While Rauros Falls is the active location, all characters must commit to the current quest during the quest phase".

Can I exhaust a characters before the Quest to use his Action?

Or do all characters need to be ready for the Quest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard :
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this thread discussing this very question:

Rauros Falls: Can I exhaust chars before the quest phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hitbaz 47
Brazil
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Apparently there is no conclusion on this post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the wording on the card an the internal logic of how the game works, I honestly can't figure out how anyone can interpret the card as restricting characters from performing actions that would cause them to exhaust before the quest phase (and then subsequently being unable to quest).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hitbaz wrote:
Apparently there is no conclusion on this post

Actually there is, use the golden rule,The definition of committing to the Quest requires the character to be in a "ready" state. If you are not ready you cannot commit and cannot trumps must in every ruling I have seen. Page 14 of rule book uses the word cannot. We've never thought the card can affect other phases of the game as it doesn't say it does

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's two potential issues:

1) Can I exhaust a character prior to the quest phase, or am I prohibited by the text of Rauros Falls.

2) Does the text of Rauros Falls mandate that exhausted characters also commit to the quest.

Let's tackle #2 first, because if that's true, #1 doesn't matter. In general, exhausted characters cannot commit to a quest, or do any other action that ordinarily requires exhaustion, even if that action does not require exhaustion for this character. This was an official ruling with Book of Mazarbul, but also applies to a hero with Light of Valinor. (It applies elsewhere as well, you can't defend with an exhausted Beorn, even if he doesn't exhaust to defend.)

So if exhausted characters can't commit to the quest ordinarily, does Rauros Falls override this? I don't believe there has been a ruling on this, but my feeling would be no, in which case the card meaning is actually All characters must commit in the quest phase, if able.

And if that's the meaning, then the answer to #1 is "yes, you can." If exhausted characters are not forced to quest, then exhausted characters are not affected by Rauros Falls.

But don't you have an obligation to not exhaust them prior to the quest phase? I don't think so, because the card effect doesn't happen until the quest phase and you are no obligation to ensure that it affects as many cards as possible. I thinking interpreting the card text in such a way that you *cannot* play an ent ally (for example) in the planning phase would be an enormous stretch. (Further, in a multiplayer case, you may not even *know* if Rauros Falls will still be the active location at the time you commit to the quest, due to effects that can place progress.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.