Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the general solitaire rules, is it intended that Recruiting also costs 2 WT? The title of V0b specifically reads "Research Auctions".

It seems simpler to me to change that title to "Research and Recruit Auctions" and have the same cost throughout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, otherwise you have to bid against yourself

Fair question, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering about the same thing myself, and concluded that the fact that V1 says "If you pay Hazardous Wages, you obtain cards during Research or Recruit at no extra cost" implies that there is normally an extra 2WT cost during recruit.

A more important question is what results in better balance. I think that if recruiting was 0WT while research was 2WT, that would make the player favor colonists too much over other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:
A more important question is what results in better balance. I think that if recruiting was 0WT while research was 2WT, that would make the player favor colonists too much over other cards.

I don't know about "favoring" colonists per se, as you can only use a very limited number of them. But zero cost recruiting does let you sift through the colonist deck quite painlessly. If you have a finance guy already, you can recruit with the crew and immediately free market back with the financer, letting you sift three colonists a turn and still profit the same as taking income with those two ops. I don't see a good reason to make that so easy to accomplish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
I don't know about "favoring" colonists per se, as you can only use a very limited number of them. But zero cost recruiting does let you sift through the colonist deck quite painlessly. If you have a finance guy already, you can recruit with the crew and immediately free market back with the financer, letting you sift three colonists a turn and still profit the same as taking income with those two ops. I don't see a good reason to make that so easy to accomplish.

If you're at your colonist limit, you can't recruit, so this only applies near the end of the game, when you have a Bernal with multiple dirtsides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt_W wrote:
If you're at your colonist limit, you can't recruit, so this only applies near the end of the game, when you have a Bernal with multiple dirtsides.

No. The colonist limit only applies to colonists that are actually boosted into space. You're free to acquire more colonist cards while you're at the limit. And once you have just the colonist(s) you want, it's not hard to cycle out any old ones at a colony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.