Popular Tags: [View All]
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never felt the need to sleeve the cards for any of my games.

Granted, several of them (The Republic of Rome, and Blackbeard, and Junta, and even Advanced Civilization) had very thin cards but were published before the CCG era so I laminated them myself with matte contact paper, but in general, the modern era games I have purchased that use cards, like War of the Ring, Arkham Horror, and Elder Sign, have worked just fine with unsleeved cards.

But Apex Theropod has the thinnest cards I have seen since Blackbeard. Since the art is so gorgeous, and this is a deck-builder, I am guessing the cards would get destroyed pretty quickly if you tried to play this unsleeved.

Before I order a ridiculous number of sleeves (this game with the expansions has, what, over 700 cards?) has anyone tried to play this unsleeved? Did the cards survive the shuffling?

I am starting to think some modern games are published with the assumption that you will sleeve the cards, so they can make them incredibly flimsy. Unfortunately this can double the cost of the game if you are buying decent quality sleeves it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if you intend to play 100,000 times or more. Please don't waste your money. 100% pointless.

And I own the game. I love the notion that the slightest wear is "destroyed" in this day and age. Nonsensical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeve if you like, by all means, but it doesn't need it. I've played a lot of deckbuilders, but I can't say it occurred to me that these cards are any thinner than others until you'd mentioned it. Even now, I don't really see it. To each their own, however.

They don't need sleeving if you don't want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to complete the trifecta of answers, I say sleeve it up. I own all of the cards for this game and I sleeved them all. Deck builders that you want to keep are well served by sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fall in the camp of sleeving them, but not because they're thin. They don't seem any thinner than any other cards I have in other games. I recommend sleeving because it's a DBG which means lots of shuffling and moving and stacking - more than many games that have cards. That increases the wear factor much quicker. You'll see it most on your starter cards (Hatchlings, Juvenile, Carcass and Egg) more than any others.

YMMV though. It's your investment and you know how much play it will get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What sleeves do people use for this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultra pro standard clear for me, but I hate that silver hologram.

Useful geeklist. It lists all known sleeves that fit the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I use KMC Perfect Fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:

Did you buy them in the last year, or before?

The comments I am reading about recent declines in KMC quality are disturbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Use KMC perfect fit so you don't have to modify the insert. If you use FFG like I do, you'll have to modify your insert to get the cards to fit, which is sort of a pain in the butt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuft wrote:
Thud105 wrote:

Did you buy them in the last year, or before?

The comments I am reading about recent declines in KMC quality are disturbing.

It was almost exactly a year ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
You may have gotten some from the last good batches before the switchover.

In this post I link some YouTube videos showing the decline in quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are different cards than what I use though.

These are what I'm talking about

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the impression the Perfect Size ones were meant for being the internal sleeve when double-sleeving, and leave the top of the card rather exposed when used alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean
msg tools
mbmb
I initially used those same Perfect Fit, since I ordered them by accident and absolutely hated them. The ones that didn't split, were entirely too slick.

Ultra Pro clear are my favorite for Apex. Just spin them so the stupid hologram is on the card back, it won't block any text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuft wrote:
I had the impression the Perfect Size ones were meant for being the internal sleeve when double-sleeving, and leave the top of the card rather exposed when used alone.
If someone were to double-sleeve, then these would certainly be the ones to go on the inside since they fit like a "2nd skin" -- hence the name of Perfect Fit. Not a single one of the tops of my cards are exposed.

pr0phetbg wrote:
I initially used those same Perfect Fit, since I ordered them by accident and absolutely hated them. The ones that didn't split, were entirely too slick.
Interesting. We've had exactly opposite experiences. I have yet to have to replace a single sleeve and I don't find these to be particularly slick at all. Personally, I find Fantasy Flight to be really slick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Dragon Shield sleeves, stored them width-wise (instead is legth-wise) in the box. I separated each section with an empty sleeve to keep them from mixing. Got everything in the box (just barely). This avoids the issue of the divider being the wrong size to fit sleeves cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Moore
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I sleeve anything that comes in to contact with dirty hands. I use "penny sleeves". You can protect your entire collection of 700 cards for $7. You have to store the cards perpendicular to how they arrived, but no big deal. The foam dividers handle that, and you get more 'sections' to organize them.

I have 4 sections for the Apex decks, organized by difficulty (4 decks of easy/medium/hard and 2 brutal). Works out very well. I should upload a picture sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to follow up. I have finally sleeved all 800 cards or so of the retail version plus the four expansions I could get my hands on, in Dragon Shield Clear Matte sleeves. Have played two games so far.

I am very satisfied with these sleeves and playing with them has been a pleasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does the matte side obscure the art at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteTruss14 wrote:
Does the matte side obscure the art at all?

I am using the matte side for the card backs. It might obscure the art a little bit, but then again I have an overhead light and glare is often a problem, so actually the matte side is often easier to see than the glossy sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok thanks. They're quite pricey over here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb

Unsleeved card in Hoard area for comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb

Unsleeved card in Hatchery.

Note there are two light sources, on left side is yellowish light source, overhead light source is more whitish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.