Popular Tags: [View All]
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Core action of laying tracks or buying shares has similarities to Paris Connection. Anyone know what else this adds? I hope copies will be at Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, this is the designer speaking. This question is probably more objectively answered by other players but as not a lot of people have played Mini Rails yet, I'll answer it from my point of view for now.

There's obviously overlap between the two games as they both try to offer an interesting stock market train game without money or paper shares. I do think there's plenty of differences too (which hopefully will become clear when the English rules become available).

In my view, the core difference is the way money is abstracted away in both games. But there are many other differences too:
- fixed vs variable board setup
- fixed vs changeable turn order
- variable game length vs fixed game length
- indirect vs direct negative interaction
- total availability of shares/builds from the start vs piecemeal availability
(As a result of these, I'd say that Paris Connection is pretty much a long term strategy game while Mini Rails is more of a mix of short and long term strategy)

There are some things in Mini Rails like the turn order mechanism and the taxation/scoring system which I personally haven't seen in other train games before.

If you only have room for one light train game in your collection, you'll only need either Paris Connection or Mini Rails and which one is best will probably change from player (group) to player (group). But if you like train games, both can happily coexist and complement each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Happy to check it out or even get one as I do enjoy Paris Connections. Will it be available in Europe/UK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of Paris Connection too

Mini Rails should definitely be available at Essen. Besides that I don't immediately know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the game have the mentioned direct negative plater interaction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
Does the game have the mentioned direct negative plater interaction?

Kind of, not necessarily player interaction. In Mini Rails you can directly lower the value of a company's shares, negatively impacting anybody who holds shares of that company. Those drops won't come as a surprise though, they are clearly visible on the board and will figure into your decisions of which shares to acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When will the English rules become available? A friend got me a copy from the Tokyo Expo, I'd love to be able to play it .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Liu
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, this is the publisher speaking.

I haven't uploaded the English rules to BGG since I haven't proofed them yet blush blush

Due to popular demand I guess I should put up the draft rules... But since I am still in Japan, it will probably need a few more days..... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark... if I had known... You are bringing out a new game?! Quite fantastic... I hope it will be available at the Spiel... Me and my girls would like to come by to pick up a copy and say hello...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
Mark... if I had known... You are bringing out a new game?! Quite fantastic... I hope it will be available at the Spiel... Me and my girls would like to come by to pick up a copy and say hello...

Looking forward to seeing you and the girls at Spiel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Liu
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finally got time to finish the rulebook...

Please get it here: English Rules v1.0 Final
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.