Subject: Production problems and buildings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliot
United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had heard about the problems with quests in this expansion being flipped, which wasn't something that bothered me too much. However, the buildings in my copy of this expansion also have production problems. They are a distinctly different colour, and the backs of some of them are off-centre so you can always tell whether the next building is from one of the two modules and then which module it is from. Is this a problem others have, or is it a problem just with my copy? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure many people have off-centre buildings and cards. The game has had many production runs and every one has different colour shadings and alignment. I have inspected several base game and expansion, each having noticeable differences. This is the result of economical print-houses.

I don't see how knowing the next building is from the expansion would give any meaningful advantage. The builder is taken almost every turn. Also, I doubt anyone ever bases the decision to build on what the next revealed building may possibly be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot
United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I'm sure many people have off-centre buildings and cards. The game has had many production runs and every one has different colour shadings and alignment. I have inspected several base game and expansion, each having noticeable differences. This is the result of economical print-houses.

I don't see how knowing the next building is from the expansion would give any meaningful advantage. The builder is taken almost every turn. Also, I doubt anyone ever bases the decision to build on what the next revealed building may possibly be.

It was relevant in our last game as my girlfriend had the lord that gave points at the end of the game for buildings and quests completed from the skullport expansion. So knowing that a skullport building was next up helped her out there and, more importantly, removed some suspense from the game. Wasn't a big deal, just was a bit of a shame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two-player game? It shouldn't matter in practice since someone at the table will build (drawing out the next building) in every round except maybe the last few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot
United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Two-player game? It shouldn't matter in practice since someone at the table will build (drawing out the next building) in every round except maybe the last few.

I wasn't worried about it being an advantage, it was more just a bit of a tension killer. One of the things I like about Lords of Waterdeep is the tension that comes from re-stocking quests and buildings, seeing what is coming up next and then adjusting your plans to suit that. It just takes away from that tension. Not a big deal, but I thought I'd ask on here to find out other people's experiences and whether this problem was a common one

Edit: It was a two-player game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Allie
United States
Bolivar
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I Was Geeky When Geeky Wasn't Cool
mbmbmbmbmb
Draw off the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot
United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
djinniman wrote:
Draw off the bottom.

Ooh that's a very good idea, I would never have thought of that - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.