Popular Tags: [View All]
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since having two kids, gaming with game groups (and their limitless collections) seem to have fallen aside, so majority of my gaming is with my husband and my own games.

We have a great selection of small games that play well with two players that we absolutely love:
Patchwork, Akrotiri, 7 Wonders Duel, Targi, Star Realms, etc.

What we are really craving is a full table, lots of long planning, big euro experience, but with just two players. Often it feels like playing a game two players is a lackluster version of the 4-player experience. Games we have and already love:
Shipyard, Castles of Burgundy, Orleans, Grand Austria Hotel, Food Chain Magnate (though this has worn a bit thin 2p already).

I've played a good selection, but I really just don't know what would work really well 2 players and fill this void. Two games I'm curious about are The Gallerist (how does this play with 2?) and Fields of Arle. I would love input and suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I enjoy the following as two player

Trajan
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
Dungeon Petz
Alchemists

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
check out...

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bone
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa Teutonica with the Hansa Teutonica: Britannia map is fantastic for 2 as is London.

Happy Mother's Day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
We are in a similar position so feel free to check out our collection comments for an idea of what we do play.

Having said that- we love Feld, lots of great different paths towards victory and now that In the Year of the Dragon has been reprinted, I would especially suggest that. We're planing to play Luna tonight and that might be another game to conciser (if interested, follow along our 100 x 1 challenge for thoughts on 2p and kids games we've been playing)

We just played At the Gates of Loyang last night- it's a long term favorite of ours and while it is a classic 'multiplayer solitaire', we really do enjoy it 2p (and have played it in the past 3 and 4p as well). It's harder to get but I did just see a copy of on here for about $30 so you can buy/ trade for it. And the wooden bits are fantastic!

ETA- just spotted Gates of Loyang in this auction is anyone is interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
La Granja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I can't attest to Fields of Arle but A Feast for Odin, which shares some similar mechanics, works well with two. The board is more open but there is so many other things going on and limiting you that it's not an issue like it is in Caverna.

Kanban: Driver's Edition is great with two, as space is limited and "Sandra", dummy player boss, makes it even more so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McCarthy
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Settlers
Seasons

Abyss This surprised me. Did not think it would scale for two.

OF course the game that fits any list: Gloomhaven

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
We enjoy Small City, Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar, Terraforming Mars, Madeira, Polis: Fight for the Hegemony with two. Some also work quite well with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played either game you're curious about. My favorite heavier-than-light euros for two are:
Le Havre
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
Innovation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't go wrong with Agricola (Revised Edition) and Caverna: The Cave Farmers. You may also try Ora et Labora. How about Viticulture Essential Edition too?

+1 Trajan and Terraforming Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you asked specifically about Gallerist, I can answer in the affirmative that is a fine two player game. I didn't feel that it was a shadow of a game with less then 3 or 4 (the way I do with other heavier games that technically support 2 players, but only as a straggler)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Anselmo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been playing for a few years and Agricola has been our favorite 2P thus far. We also enjoy Targi and Dungeon Petz. I have picked up some new games recently that we have been cycling through. The medium/heavy ones we like best are Lewis & Clark, Nations, Imperial Settlers, and Vinhos Deluxe Edition. We have played all of them at 3 player as well and feel they work just as well with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
2 player The Gallerist might not get the full feel. When playing, part of the game is to leverage off someone else's artist, and you'll experience more of that with 3-4 players. That said, it is just one part of the experience.

Good 2 players:
ZhanGuo
La Granja
Great Western Trail

..and
Russian Railroads

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Heritch
United States
Morton
IL
flag msg tools
I agree with:
Trajan (Med-Heavy)- some player interaction/competition(i/c)
for placements/resources.
Kanban (Heavy)- can have a lot of i/c
Gallerist (Med-Heavy)- not much i/c

Also consider:
Nippon (Med-Heavy) - some i/c
Great Western Trail - (Med-Heavy) - some i/c
Manhattan Project Energy Empire (Med) - A little i/c
Castles of Mad King Ludwig (Med) - Auction mechanic that
works well for 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-F Audy
Canada
Chambly
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokohama
Manhattan Project: Energy Empire
Railroad Revolution

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andi sea
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play mostly with 2 as well, and love heavier games!

I have played Fields of Arle and The Gallerist. Love the Gallerist. I found Fields of Arle to be okay, but I'm not a huge fan of Rosenberg (blasphemy, I know) so you may really like it. Lots of people do...

Also love:
Anachrony
Bora Bora
Concordia
Dungeon Petz
La Granja
Great Western Trail
Keyflower
Trickerion: Legends of Illusion
Viticulture Essential Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pansonic
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play 2 player only, wife and I. My recommendations are:

Mid-heavy:

Agricola - Get the older version, imho, not the revised edition.

Caylus - Excellent with 2.

Keyflower - One of the few auction games that work great with 2.

Light:

Carcassonne with Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals or Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders - It's perfect with two and the expansions are a must, in my opinion.

Jaipur - Interesting filler, plays in 10-15 mins

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small - Plays in 20-25 mins, but still has interesting decisions, needs an expansion

Also, games that I can recommend, but with caveats.

The Voyages of Marco Polo - not for everyone, has terrible art, but plays very fast and is asymmetric, so you can choose different characters every time

Glass Road - very fast, action selection is cool, has terrible art. Great game, but it feels like it's missing SOMETHING. Also, despite the card mechanic, player interaction is low.

Race for the Galaxy - very fast, low player interaction, great game, but get the app first, in my opinion, as it is a little fiddly.

Games I really liked, but my wife didn't (so we don't play them anymore):

Terra Mystica - she said it's too open and there is no conflict, no getting in the way of each other. I agree somewhat, but like it anyway for the optimization puzzle aspect.

Scythe - same thing, wife thought is was too low on conflict and interaction, and while I agree, I like the optimization puzzle and the race.

As for some other games mentioned in the thread:

Fields of Arle - great, sort of like Agricola all creatures expanded, but get Agricola first. Also, terrible art. (IMO)

La Granja - one of the worst games I've ever played. One of the fiddliest, too.

Ora et Labora - this is a good one, but, unfortunately, is open-ended with two, so the game can drag... Otherwise, a solid choice for a euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
I'll second Bora Bora (particularly; this really works really well with 2, and has become one of our favorite really heavy games to play together), and Madeira (which probably works best with 3 players, but is still really good with 2).

I'll also echo - with minor reservations - Concordia, Keyflower, The Voyages of Marco Polo and ZhanGuo. They're all fine games which we own and play happily, but at least for us aren't what we reach for when we want to play something really heavy together. (The Voyages of Marco Polo is something we play together a lot, but I'd consider it more medium in both length and heavyness. The others are still quite enjoyable with 2, but all the same we tend to leave them on the shelves until we have a bigger group.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McLay
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SubtlyArtistic wrote:
Since having two kids ... majority of my gaming is with my husband and my own games...
(We) absolutely love: Patchwork, Akrotiri, 7 Wonders Duel, Targi, Star Realms, etc.

What we are really craving is a full table, lots of long planning, big euro experience, but with just two players.
Two games I'm curious about are The Gallerist (how does this play with 2?) and Fields of Arle. I would love input and suggestions!

+1 Targi

Fields of Arle is a sandbox experience, not very tight. But I'd play it again. Art schmart ...

I would recommend CO₂ but its reissuance (late 2017) might favor more players: CO₂: Second Chance.
Lacerda's The Gallerist has cool kick-out/bonus actions. You would need to search for 2P hints, but rest assured it is a solid game.

Have you considered New Bedford (easier)?

My best recommendation comes for the 2P-friendly expansion, Concordia: Gallia / Corsica.
thumbsup The core game reprints soon. In terms of complexity & time, that might be right up your alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Graves
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Puerto Rico is really good when you use the Craftsman Angst 2 player variant rules.( posted here on BGG )
Great western Trail is fun with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny B
United States
California
flag msg tools
MajWoody wrote:
Puerto Rico is really good when you use the Craftsman Angst 2 player variant rules.( posted here on BGG )

The Craftsman Angst variant (the most popular revision of the Alea two-player variant)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Arle is, in opinion, a fantastic 2-player (and 1-player) game. I think it is exactly what you're looking for.

There are lots of other good suggestions as well. I'm sure the problem you'll have is narrowing the choices down!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I own both FoA and The Gallerist and primarily play with my wife. We have played both of these games many times and they are among our favorites. I think both of these games would be good choices. There are already some good alternate suggestions above such as Great Western Trail, and a couple more would be A Feast for Odin and Terraforming Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmi T.
Germany
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd pick one of Rosenberg's games.
For us A Feast for Odin works best with two.

She also likes Scythe very much and there is a lot of planning ahead involved, but we finish a game in less than an hour and frankly, I like it a bit more with any other player count (yes even solo).

edit:
Ninja John ninja
also: thumbsup for Terraforming Mars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.