1 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Rules Variant : Lex Talionis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Hazeltine-Shedd
msg tools
Hello,

I have uploaded a set of variant rules for TI, which I have called Lex Talionis. The rulehack/homebrew includes a selection of the published variants, as well as a different spin on the political rules. The .pdf I uploaded also consolidates the variant rules into one location, reducing the need to search through all of the different rulebooks.

What is Lex Talionis?

The Lex Talionis Rulehack is a re-write of the core rules that includes a selection of rules variants from the main game, the Shattered Empire, and Shards of the Throne expansions. Lex Talionis, in addition to
using some rules variants from the published game, also includes significant rule-hack/homebrew type modifications.

Why make up this Rulehack?

Playing Twilight Imperium always felt vaguely unfinished or unsatisfying. With a huge selection of units and an interesting narrative, the game promised epic battles between massive star fleets, with blood-and-iron Machiavellian political machinations in the shadowy background. The game play as written never really delivered on that promise, even with the addition of two large expansions and a wide array
of variants. This Rulehack seeks to deliver on the promise. Lex Talionis changes the victory conditions, alters the game setup, modifies the political system by altering the Assembly strategy action, and includes a selection from the published variants that fit most seemlessly into the game play. These rules attempt to strengthen the political side of the game, as well as incentivizing interstellar combat. Additionally, with three rulebooks to flip through, playing a selection of variant rules for Twilight Imperium becomes cumbersome. This Rulehack compiles a selection of variants and includes them seamlessly in the rules, all in one place, to make referencing the variant rules less of a chore. This
writeup assumes that the reader is familiar with Twilight Imperium. Much of Lex Talionis is identical text to the three rulebooks, but placed in a different, clearer sequence and with some of the details,
particularly the overview details, omitted.

The strength of Twilight Imperium is a good fundamental game system to draw on, as well as the huge number of game components. The two expansions speak to the flexibility of the game and how easy it is
to come up with one’s own version of TI.

If there are other fans of TI who want to try a more political game, I'd love to get feedback on your experience with Lex Talionis!

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/147004/lex-talionis-rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.