Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Israeli special forces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Israel Defense Forces (IDF) - Special Forces



(Explanations at 2:15)


If you have an interest in such matters, here's a more involved video:

Spoiler (click to reveal)



Some contextual information

Basic training is 4 months coupled with corps specific training of another 3 to 10 months, at the end of which is the Beret March. It's an any-weather, full gear, 50 to 90 Km march carrying simulated wounded comrades. Completing that, one earns a beret. The berets seen in these videos are orange for Home Front Command and red for the Paratroopers Brigade.

The Beret March is a seminal Israeli society rite of passage. These "special forces" go through a one week basic training course and the all-important beret march inline with their physical capabilities.

I have to say, looking at the young people's and their parents' reactions brought a tear to my eye.

.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


wifwendell wrote:
That's awesome.

But are those special-needs soldiers actually being prepared for front-line battlefield or heavy-duty military service OR as support personnel?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:


wifwendell wrote:
That's awesome.

But are those special-needs soldiers actually being prepared for front-line battlefield or heavy-duty military service OR as support personnel?



Did you watch the vid?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very inspiring and impressive.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


wifwendell wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
That's awesome.

But are those special-needs soldiers actually being prepared for front-line battlefield or heavy-duty military service OR as support personnel?

Did you watch the vid?

I watched both vids but didn't conclude that there weren't other advanced or more challenging positions that some special-needs people might qualify for.

On the other hand, if there are, then security protocols may prohibit disclosing such information because of the sensitive nature of the type of work they're doing and/or the secrecy of the facility where they'd be doing such work at.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Military service here is something that's a normal part of growing up. This program lets these young people be just like everyone else, lets them be part of their peer group, and reinforces their sense of dignity and self-respect.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


whac3 wrote:
Military service here is something that's a normal part of growing up. This program lets these young people be just like everyone else, lets them be part of their peer group, and reinforces their sense of dignity and self-respect.

Is Israel the first country to implement such a military-related program for special-needs individuals serving in some aspect of support services?




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:


whac3 wrote:
Military service here is something that's a normal part of growing up. This program lets these young people be just like everyone else, lets them be part of their peer group, and reinforces their sense of dignity and self-respect.

Is Israel the first country to implement such a military-related program for special-needs individuals serving in some aspect of support services?


Maybe. I don't know. While that does seem likely for various reasons, I can't be certain.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:


wifwendell wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
That's awesome.

But are those special-needs soldiers actually being prepared for front-line battlefield or heavy-duty military service OR as support personnel?

Did you watch the vid?

I watched both vids but didn't conclude that there weren't other advanced or more challenging positions that some special-needs people might qualify for.

On the other hand, if there are, then security protocols may prohibit disclosing such information because of the sensitive nature of the type of work they're doing and/or the secrecy of the facility where they'd be doing such work at.


The Israeli military is pretty damned professional. I suspect they know all that and are not compromising Israel's national security by allowing these young people to complete an important rite of passage.

Otherwise, I don't know what you're implying.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


wifwendell wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
That's awesome.

But are those special-needs soldiers actually being prepared for front-line battlefield or heavy-duty military service OR as support personnel?

Did you watch the vid?

I watched both vids but didn't conclude that there weren't other advanced or more challenging positions that some special-needs people might qualify for.

On the other hand, if there are, then security protocols may prohibit disclosing such information because of the sensitive nature of the type of work they're doing and/or the secrecy of the facility where they'd be doing such work at.


The Israeli military is pretty damned professional. I suspect they know all that and are not compromising Israel's national security by allowing these young people to complete an important rite of passage.

Otherwise, I don't know what you're implying.

Unlike some people, I'm aware that developmentally-disabled people are not all alike in terms of degree of their functioning.

Before I'd seen both videos, I had inferred that special-needs individuals were being trained for active duty in the security forces. Having known some people who worked with developmentally-disabled folks, I'm all too aware of some things that most people aren't.

It does makes sense that special-needs individuals could serve capably in the support capacity if given the chance and the proper supervision. However, I would be venture to say that if it were possible, only some developmentally-disabled people would qualify to serve in the security forces like a regular soldier.




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
forest gump would like a chat with you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


scifiantihero wrote:
forest gump would like a chat with you.

Forrest Gump wasn't developmentally disabled. He was a slow learner.


> Excerpt from the dissertation entitled "The 'Slow Learner' As A Mediated Construct" by John Williamson, PhD, of the Faculty of Education at the University of Calgary:

Three Illustrative Cultural/Fictional Narratives of the Slow Learner

In addition to instances in which slow learner appears in news reporting and academic writing, there have been several fictional depictions of individuals who might possibly fit into educational definitions of slow learner. Though referring peripherally to several media works, a close examination of three popular cultural works follow: the novel "Lottery" (Wood, 2007), and the films "Forrest Gump" (Finerman, Tisch, Newirth, & Zemeckis, 1994), and "Being There" (Braunsberg & Ashby, 1974).

Both "Forest Gump" and "Lottery" provide depictions of I.Q. politics. That is, parental advocacy "saves" a slow learner who has tested on the cusp of having a full-fledged intellectual disability from being placed in a special-education classroom. In the case of "Forrest Gump", Forrest is saved from special education when, as a placating gesture, his mother has sex with the principal who is about to deny Forrest a regular classroom placement.





Forrest’s borderline intellectual functioning is dramatically illustrated when the principal, patronizingly, points to what "Normal" cognitive functioning is, and then points to the margin of the (oversized) page to show Forrest’s location. This gesture satirizes a common practice of an educator or psychologist pointing to a spot on the Bell Curve while explaining the results of psychometric testing to a child’s parents. The deal that is struck, however, in order for Forrest to avoid the placement may also be a critic of the arbitrariness with which such placement decisions are sometimes made.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.