The Great War» Forums » General

Subject: Air ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Oless
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Had a thought about air ships/zeppelins being added to an expansion someday. I know the Germans used them for surveillance and they were equipped with machine guns. Perhaps a zeppelin shadow hex which could slowly move around the board during a game. Haven't thought it all out yet, but I think it could be an interesting element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
jono12 wrote:
Had a thought about air ships/zeppelins being added to an expansion someday. I know the Germans used them for surveillance and they were equipped with machine guns. Perhaps a zeppelin shadow hex which could slowly move around the board during a game. Haven't thought it all out yet, but I think it could be an interesting element.

The zeps were primarily used for bombing England or watching enemy ships. Don't think they were used over active battlefields...but interesting concept...give it a try...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Observation balloons were commonly used by both sides in WW1, though probably not as close to the front lines as The Great War board allows.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/atoz/balloons.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_military_ballooning...

as far as I know, Zeppelins were never used against the front lines, and trying to use them as close air support would be extremely tricky. If nothing else, the chances of a Zeppelin being hit by an artillery bombardment would create nightmare plotting tasks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoss Cartwright
United States
California
flag msg tools
Zeppelins would fly too high for any artillery to reach. They would make nice attackers performing the first carpet bombing of the war. It wasn't till late in the war when fighters would be able to reach them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking on Air ships a little, I think they might be a good off-board unit like the Reserve Artillery. When ordered, they could effect the accuracy of the Reserve artillery fire, either adding targeting dice, or allowing a targeting die to be increased or reduced by 1.

Guess then we could have off board aircraft trying to destroy them.

I've never played Memoir'44 aircraft, but I understand they are a hassle and don't really work very well. In terms of air support, I'd prefer some new Combat card that allowed aircraft attacks, and probably a few counter cards like AA fire or interceptors to cover air operations, rather than any on map units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
Thinking on Air ships a little, I think they might be a good off-board unit like the Reserve Artillery. When ordered, they could effect the accuracy of the Reserve artillery fire, either adding targeting dice, or allowing a targeting die to be increased or reduced by 1.

That would be completely ahistorical/fantasy. Airships were never used as air support or artillery observation, or in daylight anywhere where fighters might be present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NimitsTexan wrote:
Minedog3 wrote:

That would be completely ahistorical/fantasy. Airships were never used as air support or artillery observation, or in daylight anywhere where fighters might be present.

When I wrote Air ships, I meant tethered observation balloons.
They absolutely were used throughout the war, despite the dangers of air attacks from 1916 onwards. If nothing else, the increasing losses on balloons as the war progressed demonstrates their ongoing use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the confusion began with the beginning absurdity about Zepps being used on the front lines.

The idea of having "drachen" used to improve reserve arty is certainly valid, and I could see it coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
NimitsTexan wrote:
Minedog3 wrote:

When I wrote Air ships, I meant tethered observation balloons.
They absolutely were used throughout the war, despite the dangers of air attacks from 1916 onwards. If nothing else, the increasing losses on balloons as the war progressed demonstrates their ongoing use.

Gotch'ya. Yes, observation balloons could plausibly be used in game (at least if air rules were added). But, I think everyone one is tracking now, "airships" and balloons, while both lighter-than-air-aircraft, are two different things (simply, airships have propulsion and guidance systems, balloons do not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.