Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing of High Priest Sacrifice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dizdi
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the gather power phase I have a High Priest on the board. Can I take 1 power from him and from the gate he controls and then sacrifice him for 2 more power?
Also, if he controls a gate, can I take a doom point for the gate and then sacrifice him?

Thanks in advance!
I am new to this game but my play group already loves it!
The last five times we played, any player that used Windwalker won.
Any tips to stop Windwalker?:D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to all. Except the Windwalker tips.

Edit: No to the doom points per the below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you sacrifice the HP in the power phase (potential to take first player), then you wouldn't have it to control then gate in the Doom phase.

Not that you implied the above, but I wanted to make sure it was stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can sac him at any time.

But if you sac him during the Power Phase, you won't control the gate during the Doom Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as stopping Windwalker, I'd recommend hitting him early on. He's slow at the beginning, so the longer you keep him there, the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second hitting WW early. Also, working together is effective vs the massive Arctic Wind force (and YS' s undesd army). For instance, an attack from an unsubmerging GC with six spellbooks with a thought out Madness/Necrophagy could scatter WW nicely.

OW sniping can work okay if timed right.

Also, Groth can hurt WW pretty badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
The number one and two things to remember when fighting Windwalker is:

1) he cannot more than double his remaining Power when Hibernating.
2) don't build a gate at either pole.

Other advice, from specific factions:

CTHULHU - it is said that Windwalker is the only guy who can stand up to you head-to-head. But this means you can stand up to him head-to-head. And your army is ready to fight earlier than his. Go hit him when his gnoph kehs are still expensive.

SHUB NIGGURATH – he has one big army, which means his gates are poorly defended. Avatar those suckers away from him. He fights a lot, so use your ghouls to scatter his army with each battle.

CRAWLING CHAOS – Ithaqua with the big army is scary. A lonely Rhan-Tegoth is not, and every time you shake his tree, two Elder Signs or 3 Power fall out. Also, Nightgaunts and Polyps are your friend vs. Windwalker. Invisiblize his gnoph-kehs, and carry off lesser units. He hates that.

YELLOW SIGN – your big Hastur-hammer is always there if you need to derail the Ithaqua train, but it’s easier just to preferentially target his cultists for capture or Zingaya-ing by the King.

SLEEPER – Windwalker’s great to have in town, because now you can Hibernate. Massing together your Formless Spawn is one of the few forces that can actually scare off Windwalker.

OPENER OF THE WAY – I prefer Dread Cursing him to scatter his forces and pick off guys, but stealing his gates with Beyond-One is always fun.

TCHO-TCHO – Martyrdom basically lets you scoff at his giant armies, and remember that he is twice as vulnerable to Idolatry as any other faction (because of his two start areas). Use this.

ANCIENTS – well these aren’t published yet, but what the heck. Unholy Ground should keep him away from your core areas, and Dematerialization lets you evade his army (or strike at his heart, optionally). Clustering a few Yothans and Un-Men give you both heaps of attack dice, and free meat shields to soak up his hits. Losing Un-Men is often good for you late-game, because when you re-summon them, you can use the power gift they provide to organize an anti-Windwalker party if needed.

Basically, Windwalker tricks you into ignoring him because he's weak in the early game. Then he sucker-punches you in the late game. But if you turn that around, and hit him in the early game, he may never be the late game titan you fear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.