Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers» Forums » Variants

Subject: Capture the Flag/King of the Hill? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
foldedcard
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Picked a couple of copies of this game up for $5 apiece at a five and below. So far it's been a ton of fun - what a bargain!

I was hoping to come here and see a bunch of fan-made scenario variants but was surprised to see very few. The arena format seem well-suited to capture the flag and king of the hill variants, so I'm putting the ideas up here to see if this sounds even vaguely interesting to anyone.

Both games are for 2 to 5 players, 12 turns per player.

Capture the Flag

Map Setup: Use 4 to 6 map tiles. Place a central "hill" with a knowledge tile as the flag. Each player places a base 8 spaces from the hill (with 3 or fewer players each can use an upside-down glyph but with more players you'll need some proxies.)

Objective: Players carry the flag to their bases to score a point. The player with the most points at the end of 12 rounds wins.

Carrying the flag: Move a figure on or adjacent to a space containing a flag to take possession of it during the move or attack phase. (Slide the flag tile under the figure.) The player with the flag has one less movement.

Passing the flag: A player can choose to pass the flag between his adjacent figures if one of the figures is active. (Max one pass per turn.)

Dying with the flag: If a figure is killed holding the flag, the flag stays in the space where the figure died until another figure picks it up.

Capturing the flag: A player that starts his turn with a figure he controls on his base has captured the flag and earns a point. The flag immediately returns to the hill. Note that a player's figures can never occupy a base that isn't his own.

Respawn: Planeswalkers that are killed respawn on their base at the start of their next turn with 2 damage. Creatures do not respawn unless they have special abilities.

King of the Hill

Map setup: Map: Use 4 to 6 map tiles. Place a central "hill" that is at higher elevation than all adjacent spaces. Each player places their figure 8 spaces from the hill.

Objective: Players earn a point each time they start their turn with one of their figures on top of the hill. Player with the most points at the end of 12 rounds wins.

King of the Hill: the figure standing on top of the hill is the king of the hill. If a player starts the turn and one of his figures is king of the hill, he or she gains a point.

Replacing the King: If the figure that is king of the hill is adjacent to more enemy figures than friendly figures then during the move phase any active figure may change places with the king of the hill and thereby become the king of the hill. Alternatively, if the active player has the king of the hill, during the move phase he may swap the positions of the king of the hill and an allied adjacent figure making a new king of the hill. (The active figure will pay the normal move cost in these replacement movements.)

A player may continue to play for as long as he has figures on the field, even if his Planeswalker dies.

--

These will take some tinkering before they are balanced and interesting game modes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David LeftOn4ya
United States
Florence
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. The Star Wars/Battlefront videogame fans on Heroscapers just made a sweet ruleset based on Battlefront similar, but different - check it out. There are also tons of other ideas on capture the flag for Heroscapers - do a search for titles only there to see them. Here is rules one Gencon events use (very simple):

Each player will have a Glyph of Brandar to defend. Players can win by ending a turn with one of their figures unengaged and on the opponent's Glyph. Tournament is played in one hour rounds.

It would be fun to combine the Battlefront style rules and the simple Capture the Flag rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe what this game needs, to encourage scenario creation, is some scenario editing software. It's what Days of Wonder did for Memoir '44 and that worked out pretty well for them.

This is definitely a game that cries out for more (better!) scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:

A player that starts his turn with a figure he controls on his base has captured the flag and earns a point. The flag immediately returns to the hill.

I've done capture the flag with Heroscape. We chose to have the flag regenerate using a semi-random spot. (Use some d6's to count direction and number of spaces from the previous flag spot.) That way you can't hang out on the regeneration hex and automatically grab the flag as soon as it regenerates.

Fun times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's a video of a capture the flag Heroscape scenario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
TIM0THY wrote:
Quote:

A player that starts his turn with a figure he controls on his base has captured the flag and earns a point. The flag immediately returns to the hill.

I've done capture the flag with Heroscape. We chose to have the flag regenerate using a semi-random spot. (Use some d6's to count direction and number of spaces from the previous flag spot.) That way you can't hang out on the regeneration hex and automatically grab the flag as soon as it regenerates.

We tried a three player game and didn't really have a problem with flag respawning to a fixed position--it actually created some really interesting tussles for the flag. The other thing that helped was having to survive a turn on your base tile before you score the point.

Random flag spawning would be an interesting variant though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
foldedcard wrote:
...having to survive a turn on your base tile before you score the point.

I like this idea. I'll have to give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Buchholz
msg tools
I know this is an old thread, but I just came across it so I'll add my reply in the event that someone sees it in the future.

I recently had the idea to devise a Capture the Flag scenario, and I posted my variant rules over on this reddit thread. I'll paste the text here.

Quote:
So yesterday I saw the /u/twobats video that /u/Mule50 posted, and it got me thinking.

They ran a Capture the Flag scenario, but commented at the end of the video that each of their skirmishes had more or less the same outcome: ignore the flag, wail on the opponent's Planeswalker until someone dies. I started thinking about how, even with the terrain limitations of using only the base set, one could mitigate some of the repetitiveness and make the CtF scenario genuinely tactical and fun. Here's what I've come up with:

Setup is as usual, and each Planeswalker starts on adjacent to their corresponding Flag token/glyph.

Match length is 15 rounds or n x 15 turns, where n is the number of players (for the sake of this write-up, a turn is a single player's actions, and a round is one full round of the table, i.e. n turns). You could modify the difficulty by increasing or decreasing the number of rounds/turns, but I would suggest a range of 12 – 20.

Play proceeds as usual, with the following exceptions:

* If a figure "captures" the flag, that figure gets +1/+1.

* The flag moves with the capturing figure until the figure holding the flag is destroyed, in which case the flag drops onto the space previously occupied by that figure.

* Players may not hold their own flag with a figure they control, and a player's figures may not occupy the same space as that player's flag (the flag does not block LOS, only movement, and only for the player who owns that flag). This prevents a player from bogarting their own flag with their PW or a tank like the Pummelroots.

* Play continues until either the turn counter runs out or only one player has figures left on the battlefield.

That last point means that even if a player loses his or her Planeswalker, they're still in the game. However, without a PW, there's nobody to cast spells. In my mind, though, all that magic energy is still bouncing around on the battlefield, uncontrolled. That means that:

* When a player's PW is destroyed, that player shuffles his or her hand and places it on top of their Library.

* When a player would ordinarily be able to cast spells (before moving or after attacking), he or she may cast up to three spells, one at a time, from the top of their Library.

* If a spell does not have a valid target or would have no effect, it is discarded.

* If a spell would have a valid target, even if its effects are to the detriment of the casting player, the spell is cast and its effects are resolved as usual.

Ending the scenario:

* If at the end of the match, all or none of the players have captured an opponent's flag, the match is scored as usual.

* If only one player has captured a flag, that player wins, regardless of figure scores.

* In matches with 3 or more players, if 2 or more players have captured flags, players holding flags are eligible for scoring. Players who have not captured an opponent's flag do not score their armies.

[...] Obviously there are some minor caveats that will need to be made with specific armies/figures—for example, Firecats could carry the flag with either space; Jace can't leapfrog the flag when he "jumps" into one of his Projections; etc.

Another Redditor pointed out that flying figures have a huge mobility advantage and suggested "grounding" flyers while they control the flag, which I thought was a fantastic balancing mechanic.

You could house a King of the Hill scenario with almost exactly the same rules, except with scoring a point when you end (or begin) a turn with a figure on the objective marker/glyph at the top of the hill. More considerations would need to be made for flying figures in that case, but I haven't put as much though into that scenario, personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.