Thom Woodward
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've just encountered The Pirate Council at Lonely Island. My wife is at Fog Bank & we want to temporarily close that location. She has a blessing in her hand & I have Phantasmal Minion. I want to use that to acquire that blessing.

The question relates to the wording in the rule book where it says "You may IMMEDIATELY attempt to temporarily close..."

I'm wondering if I can use Phantasmal Minion after I drew The Pirate Council, but before she attempts to temporarily close since she'll have to recharge her hand in order to do so & will no longer have the blessing I need.

EDIT: Phantasmal Image will only allow someone at the same location as you to give you an item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say your wife would have to pass on temporarily closing the location by skipping the recharge if you wanted to get that blessing. Once the Pirate Council card is revealed because of your exploration, you have to deal with it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP:

There are two reasons why what you are saying won't work.

1. Phantasmal Minion doesn't work that way. (I think -- didn't pull out the card.) I think you can only play it to get a character at your location to give you a card (or to give a card to any character anywhere). So, the player at Fog Bank would have to have Phantasmal Minion.

2. More importantly: once an encounter begins, you can *only* play cards or use powers that directly pertain to the step or check.
You might think that giving someone a card they can use *is* something that directly pertains -- but there was a long discussion about this, and the official ruling is No.
It's kind of technical, but giving someone a card *only* directly pertains if just HAVING the card effects the check (not playing it). Example: I get a +1 Strength bonus for every Armor card I have in my hand. (There is no such character, I'm making this up.) Then using Phantasmal Minion to give me an Armor card before I make a Strength check during an encounter would be OK.
This ruling is in the latest rulebook (Mummy's Mask). The latest rulebook is governing for every set (combined with the rules from the set's rulebook which are particular to that set.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Woodward
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
To the OP:

There are two reasons why what you are saying won't work.

1. Phantasmal Minion doesn't work that way. (I think -- didn't pull out the card.) I think you can only play it to get a character at your location to give you a card (or to give a card to any character anywhere). So, the player at Fog Bank would have to have Phantasmal Minion.

2. More importantly: once an encounter begins, you can *only* play cards or use powers that directly pertain to the step or check.
You might think that giving someone a card they can use *is* something that directly pertains -- but there was a long discussion about this, and the official ruling is No.
It's kind of technical, but giving someone a card *only* directly pertains if just HAVING the card effects the check (not playing it). Example: I get a +1 Strength bonus for every Armor card I have in my hand. (There is no such character, I'm making this up.) Then using Phantasmal Minion to give me an Armor card before I make a Strength check during an encounter would be OK.
This ruling is in the latest rulebook (Mummy's Mask). The latest rulebook is governing for every set (combined with the rules from the set's rulebook which are particular to that set.)

Oh. Wow. You're right. I pulled the card out & reread it. Damn. We ended up saying you couldn't do it anyway, but this would have saved us a good 10 minutes of searching for answers. haha. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Woodward
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is what we decided on to, but couldn't find anything...

Turns out, the card doesn't do that anyway & I'm dumb. Thanks, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to be nitpicky, but aside from the typo & error in your edit to your original post (Phantasmal Minion can give any card, not just Items), you might be missing the main point.

The point: You cannot play Phantasmal Minion during an encounter. It's against the rules.

*Caveat: There could be an edge case in which it is allowed, as I explained above, but I don't know of such a case given the existing characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.