SeaFall» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Brainstorming endgame strategy (box 5+ spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claire Postlethwaite
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,
We have just finished our 11th game, having opened box 5 a couple of games ago, and I'm feeling a bit stuck in terms of strategy. I thought it might be fun to have a bit of a brainstorm about what I should do next. I expect this discussion to have plenty of box 5 spoilers, and I'll try and put in spoiler boxes anything that you don't necessarily know immediately upon opening box 5. Also, please don't spoiler anything further than I've mentioned in the discussion.

Ok, so the game so far: we are four players, Red is in the lead with 158. Purple (which is me) is 8 points behind, then there is a reasonable gap to Green (19 behind Red) and Grey (21 points behind Red). Our remaining milestones are the three "secrets of the statues" ones, and the finding the island at the end of the world one. We
Spoiler (click to reveal)

know to shine the light of truth on the back of advisors, and at the end of the last game, Red found the wave chart on the back of one, getting the Masques Have Fallen milestone to win the game. We also know there's something going on with triples of the tablets, but haven't figured out what yet (although given the three sets of triples and the three statues, that's my best guess...)

My problem is as follows. I started off going for an exploration strategy, along with all the others players, to a greater or lesser extent, but have (randomly) ended up becoming raid-focussed, mostly because I got the raid veteran sticker and found the "super successes=extra success on raids" relic. The other three players all have better explore set-ups than me. Grey, because he's so far behind, will have a load of money (and also has the +4 tax colony), and will likely build the temple within a few turns of the start. Green has a whole heap of research cards, and the veteran explore sticker. And Red has the "super successes=extra success on explores" and "spend fortune on dangerous sites" relics, as well as the "extra success for super success" tablet, and she also has ex-Patmos, which gives her a bunch of extra money at the start even though she's in the lead.

So, given the fact that at least in the next game, I don't stand a hope of exploring the island at the end of the world, but the others do, I figure my best chance of getting into the lead is to take Red down a peg or two with a big raid, but what is the best thing to raid? My first thought was ex-Patmos, which I think I can do by building the guildhall and making sure I get a decent raid advisor. My fear is that if we go past winter (which we haven't the last few games, but still...) that she'll just take it straight back using all my enmity tokens.

So my question for all of you out there, is, what would be better? Any other thoughts on how to get back to an explore strategy? (FWIW, my kept advisor is +3 explore). Or am I just screwed at this point?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We're right about where you are in terms of what we've done, with two small exceptions.

Minor spoilers for where you are, Box 5+, you still might not want to click or at least tell the rest of your group if you do
You need to keep interrogating advisors to gain two more important pieces of knowledge.

I'm also in the same situation, as I didn't set out to be a heavy raider, but I ended up with the Veteran Raid sticker, so I leaned into it.

Box 3 spoilers
My group has mostly been avoiding the tombs that sound like raids, to the point where just about all we have left are ones that sound like they'll require sail or raid endeavors. So I have a lot of stuff to do still, being the only one who can get to 10 raid on turn 1. (7 base + 1 support + 2 Deadly upgrade)

That said, if you're not interested in that, or if you've already depleted it...

Box 5+ spoiler strategy, still not trying to spoil too much
You've worked out that there are particular triplets as far as tablets go. If you've written them down, then you know which threes you want together. If I were you (and I intend to do this), I'd use my big raids to lift those specific tablets off your opponents.

What I personally plan to do is to get a tablet of my own (if only the tombs would be kind enough to me), then orchestrate a trade. With my heavy raid, I steal somebody else's tablet, then after the next winter they get my 4-5 enmity and use that to take a different one off me. Of course, I might accidentally build a Fortress or two in between... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Postlethwaite
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Darren! Thanks for the response...

Dexter345 wrote:

I'm also in the same situation, as I didn't set out to be a heavy raider, but I ended up with the Veteran Raid sticker, so I leaned into it.

Box 3 spoilers
My group has mostly been avoiding the tombs that sound like raids, to the point where just about all we have left are ones that sound like they'll require sail or raid endeavors. So I have a lot of stuff to do still, being the only one who can get to 10 raid on turn 1. (7 base + 1 support + 2 Deadly upgrade)

That said, if you're not interested in that, or if you've already depleted it...

I think we've only done one or two raids in tombs, I honestly find it quite hard to decipher what the words are supposed to mean - and people very rarely seem to be carrying the right stuff to get extra dice. What I am pretty sure about is that "courage" means spice, and we've got two of them sitting there - so my plan for the first couple of turns is pick up some spice on the way out and go get that.

Dexter345 wrote:

Box 5+ spoiler strategy, still not trying to spoil too much
You've worked out that there are particular triplets as far as tablets go. If you've written them down, then you know which threes you want together. If I were you (and I intend to do this), I'd use my big raids to lift those specific tablets off your opponents.

What I personally plan to do is to get a tablet of my own (if only the tombs would be kind enough to me), then orchestrate a trade. With my heavy raid, I steal somebody else's tablet, then after the next winter they get my 4-5 enmity and use that to take a different one off me. Of course, I might accidentally build a Fortress or two in between... whistle

Yes I'm also thinking of grabbing a tablet off someone at some point, but as yet, there is still one of each triple yet to be found, so I'm not going to raid until I'm sure I can get all three. A further annoyance is that Green has the Ninth Initiate so keeps going round and stealing stuff from treasure rooms with ease.

A further problem with my supposed strategy to steal ex-Patmos is that this uses up all my enmity (6+1 for colony marker, 1 given out at the start), which means I can't activate any other colonies, or do any other raiding the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.