Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the week behind us it's time to post your week's mini-session reports and stories to answer our favorite question:

mbmbWhat did you play this week? - Edition 420

mbmbcorn This week's WDYPTW Geeklist
mbmbcorn WDYPTW subscription thread
mbmbcorn The WDYPTW Guild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BillCon VII...

Tuesday
1x - Bruges

Thursday
1x - La Granja - mb

Friday
1x - La Granja - mb

Saturday - BillCon VII
1x - Eclipse
1x - Power Grid - China map
1x - Railways of the World - England and Wales map
1x - Spyfall
1x - Oracle of Delphi - mb
1x - Dead of Winter

For a detail breakdown of BillCon VII, check out BillCon VII Recap.

BillCon VII, my seventh annual all-day birthday game day was a great way to end the week playing a bunch of my underplayed favorites! Ah... we had a great time. Resetting the clock and waiting until next year for some more epic gaming memories.

meeple Keep playing...
BK's Hardcore 10x10 in 2017 List at 57/100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent most of the week on a congress but tried to make it up during the weekend! Played on 3 days, 4 plays of 3 games.

Friday

Neanderthal

Saturday

Terraforming Mars

Sunday

Yamataï
Terraforming Mars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 x Splendor
1 x Fleet
1 x Thebes
1 x This Game is Bonkers!
1 x Istanbul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 x 7 Wonders, in which my wife won (54) with a strong science and wonder approach. My son (52) was close with a military, trade strategy, and I brought up the rear (36) as a result of neglecting my military and trade. Fun game that doesn't overstay its welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday
1x Deus with Deus: Egypt
3x Codenames

Saturday
1x Viticulture Essential Edition with Tuscany Essential Edition
1x Scythe with Scythe: Invaders from Afar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WED:
Star Wars X-Wing

FRI:
Blood Rage
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization

SAT:
Star Wars X-Wing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Automobiles x 1
Above and Below x 1
Elder Sign x 1 (solo)
Limes x 3 (solo)
The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game x 1 (solo)
Dice Stars x 2 (solo) [New to Me]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuesday

Hanamikoji x2. Played with my girlfriend. I won once and she won once. This game is such a good game and offers a lot of depth in such a small quick game.

Alchemists, this game is included in my 5x5 challenge. It was nice to bring it to the table. It was a close, low scoring game. My girlfriend won 36 to 32.

Wednesday

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization, played with my girlfriend. I had a good lead in the beginning of the game and then my engine died out. It was another low scoring game for us. She won 174 to 161. This is a great game, it pushes my limit on time frame though sitting at just over 3 hours.

Roll for the Galaxy, girlfriend won this game as well! 58 to 41. This is a good game but it's just not long enough. You start building your tableau and all of the sudden it's over. It's a nice game when you just want something fairly quick though.

Thursday

I joined a new gaming group at an FLGS and played Orléans. I tied for last place with a score of 100. The other scores were 160, 101 and 100. I don't think I did too bad for being new to the game.

Friday

The Castles of Burgundy, GF and i's go to game. I stayed right behind her for most of the game then passed her up when I did my bonus scoring first. That was the only time I gained a lead kn her as she quickly flew past me with her bonuses and scored a 221, a new top score for her, I scored 186.

Qwixx, we finished the night with a quick game of this and I finally won a game! Lol

Saturday

War of the Ring (Second Edition), started the day early with this game. It was a close tense won as towards the end my girlfriend, playing the shadow army, was controlling the board with her massive military presence. However, I was already at 2 steps away from the crack of Doom with Frodo and Samwise being guided by Gollum. Frodo could not make it to the crack of doom before the shadow army reached their 10 point victory condition.

Later on Saturday evening my girlfriend and I went to a friends house who are casual gamers. We had some grilled chicken and baked potatoes for dinner with them and afterwards got to playing some board games.

First, we played Sheriff of Nottingham, this game was new to all of us but it was easy to pick up. It was a good fun time with this game as it offers a lot of player interaction and just good fun with trying to bluff to bring contraband through.

Afterwards, we played Tales of the Arabian Nights, another game that was new to my GF and I. We were really enjoying it but we were getting tired by this point as it was already 12am. We did not finish the game but are excited to try it out again.

Sorry for the long post. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3x - The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game - mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a very, very light week of gaming for us. Watching playoff hockey dominated our time this past week, and we're hoping to get back to the table this week for a more normal schedule of play.

Thursday
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game (1x): My daughter, wife, and I played through the Civil War game of Legendary and were able to pull off a win together. Many of the Master Strikes came in the first half of the deck and we were able to build our hands enough to knock out Magneto for the victory!

Saturday
Lords of Waterdeep with Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport (1x): Our normal game night crew got together after what seemed like forever with a few games Saturday night. First up was this 4p game. I was able to hang on for a 3-point victory after a not-so-nicely timed mandatory quest at the end. Very competitive game throughout which made it tense and exciting.

Star Trek: Catan (1x): It's been a while since the classic hit the table, so we suited up in our Starfleet uniforms and had at it. I was able to claw out a victory due to a couple of VP development cards and many fortunate rolls on my 3-resource generating cities. Again, a close game throughout.

Roll For It! (2x): We weren't yet ready to call it a night as of yet, so we busted through a couple of games of Roll For It. My wife pulled off a dominating victory in the first game, and one of our friends pulled off a similar crushing defeat in the second game. A nice, light way to end the evening.

I'm already looking forward to getting to the table tonight for a 2p game with my wife. We're thinking one of our newest games to start the week, Terraforming Mars or Great Western Trail, unless my kids get the itch to play tonight too which may bring Takenoko to the table.

Happy gaming, all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nivanor wrote:

Don't be sorry for the long post. It's fun to get a little flavor behind the games played. I always enjoy the longer reads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing. Going on 5 weeks without gaming thus far! After the 6th week, we should be back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GiantCoyoteBird wrote:
Nivanor wrote:

Don't be sorry for the long post. It's fun to get a little flavor behind the games played. I always enjoy the longer reads.

Thank you. I enjoy them as well.

Btw, how do you like terraforming mars as a two player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nivanor wrote:
GiantCoyoteBird wrote:
Nivanor wrote:

Thank you. I enjoy them as well.

Btw, how do you like terraforming mars as a two player game?

It's all that I've played so far, so I don't have a comparison to a larger 4-player game. However, we've played two games with beginner corporations and they've both been tight all the way to the end. Next step is dabbling in the corporations, which will be nice to have a little focus in our turn structure. Mechanically and competitively, we really enjoy it at two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday

1X a variant of Rummy

Saturday

4X Skip-Bo
1/5 X Axis & Allies Global 1940

Sunday

1X Phase 10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Dickey
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday my wife and I played 7 Wonders Duel and Machi Koro. She had a stronger engine than I in Duel, which allowed her to punish me at that game. I redeemed myself at Machi Koro.

Wednesday we (finally) got in our first play of Tiny Epic Western. I like how vastly different the games are in this line. I won handily, but found that we scored incorrectly after the fact. I believe I still would have won, but it would have been much closer.

On Thursday and Friday my ongoing Hive Pocket competition with a coworker continued. We got in 4 plays on our lunch breaks, and I continue my nigh-undefeated streak. (Nigh because she has beaten me once and is improving quickly so I expect more losses on the horizon.)

It wasn't a great week in quantity of plays, and I would love to find time for heavier games played, but I still am happy for the plays I got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
I've come here to chew bubble gum and play board games, and I'm all outta bubble gum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yamatai x2
Villages of Valeria x2
Mystic Vale x4
Carcassonne
Takenoko
Champions of Midgard
Mice and Mystics final three chapters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thursday:
Outlawed
Yokohama

Saturday:
Age of War
Sagrada
Flip City
Castle Panic
Munchkin Legends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games of Quarto on Thursday evening, that's it. We went to a Salsa festival all weekend, so very little time for gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday - A quick solo round of Deep Space D-6. My first run with the Athena MkII, which quite handily dispatched the threat deck for a smooth victory.

Tuesday - A member of my RPG group came down to help my wife design a character for a Vampire: The Masquerade game that we started a few weeks ago. It is our first foray into the World of Darkness line, but we have a great GM for the series and it has been a lot of fun so far.

Wednesday - My nephew's 11th birthday. I have a tradition of cooking a big feast for friends/family on their birthdays, and my nephew is a bacon fanatic - thus mega BLTs, bacon-cheese fries, and bacon-wrapped dates were his menu choice, followed by a dessert pizza and games. His choice for the evening was Escape: The Curse of the Temple (his usual favorites are RoboRally or Smash Up), which I taught/oversaw as the group played two failed missions before learning the power of teamwork to smash the game before the second gong. I have about a dozen expansion modules for the game we still haven't tried, but I expect that to change soon, given all of the fun everyone had that night.

Thursday - We had a friend need a place to crash in the wake of a bad breakup, so unexpected company led to even more gaming. A solid 3-player round of Morocco, which was our first time playing it with more than 2p, and we were quite happy with the experience. We then proceeded to stay up way too late drinking, playing EDH (Magic: The Gathering), and listening to vented relationship woes. Good times.

Friday - I finally had a free day off from work after the dust has begun to settle from a brutal tax season, and was able to play my first full solitaire game of Mage Knight Board Game, which has been taunting me since receiving it via BGG Secret Santa this (last) year. I had a great game, and now appreciate exactly why it is lauded as such a great 1p experience.

Saturday - I didn't get around to putting Mage Knight away, and after seeing all of the components splayed out, my wife decided that she wanted to learn the game. So we played the "First Reconnaissance" scenario, and it turns out that Mage Knight works well as a multiplayer game, too. We're looking forward to getting another game in this week, to solidify the rules synapses.

Sunday - Cooked brunch for the Moms for Mother's Day, after which we played a quick round of Telestrations. We almost convinced them to play some Concept as well, but they opted to head to a nearby pub and play some cricket (darts) instead. Good times.

I haven't had such a good week for gaming in a long time, and it felt great. Throughout the tax season (Jan-April), I was lucky to get a single game in on most weeks. Here's to hoping we can keep up this pace for a while yet. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
Friday Pandemic - won on the last turn.

Saturday - Solo - Eldritch Horror I am now 0 for 3

Sunday - Steampunk Rally, valiant effort by all the participants with most of us getting across the finish line.

Pandemic + Expansion - won on the last turn, that seems to be the way it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one game of X-Men: Under Siege with my youngest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had my birthday party on Tuesday. Played Baseball Highlights: 2045 with my brother while waiting for other people to show up, lost but it was a grand old time. I even found some baseball stadium ambiance on youtube that fit right in. Then when most everyone canceled but 2 other people, I finally got to play Mechs vs. Minions which I cannot wait to get further in. As in stands from just that one mission, it was a little easy and dragged on at the end, but now that we know what we're doing and missions are only going to get harder and more intense, I'm hyped to pull it out again soon.

Then on Friday, it was my brother's birthday party. He always pulled out A Brief History of the World for his birthday. It's not about to make my top 10, but it's fun to come back to each year. We had 6 people after that and that's always the magic number where most of our shelves of games get narrowed heavily down, so while I'm sure he wanted to play Chinatown next, we had to settle with a couple games of Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.