Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What's a good example of a game that's been changed through multiple editions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a thing I'm writing, I'm looking for examples to illustrate the way that games go through multiple editions and can change with each, not always for the better.

What I'm after are games that:

- Has 3+ editions, each of which has gone OOP before the next one was released.

- Has changed mechanically in some significant way between releases in divisive ways - i.e. there is disagreement about which version is "best".

My go-to example for this is Space Hulk, but I could use a couple of others, ideally not Games Workshop. They seem particularly bad for this sort of thing (see Blood Bowl).

Suggestions gratefully received?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis and allies. 80s version, revised edition, 42 first edition are all pretty direct versions of each other (with 42 second edition being a totally different game if you want to go there, which bgg won't even make it's own entry if your paper includes how fucked up databases can get because of things like this.)

I dunno how much anyone really argues about which is better, but each has it's fans. (revised is best, btw.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to add The Fury of Dracula, but even though FFG did later editions it was still a Games Workshop title.

Not sure if Runebound (First Edition) meets your criteria or not. Third edition is a large departure, but the second edition was rolled out quickly with many small but significant fixes to improve gameplay over first edition.

Edit: Searching for "third edition" brought up a list of games, but nothing really stood out to me beyond those mentioned and Talisman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
I give myself very good advice, But I very seldom follow it. That explains the trouble that I'm always in.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter, maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RAFAEL DE OLIVEIRA GONÇALVES
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I see a pattern here of FFG: Fury of Dracula, Cosmic Encounter, RuneBound, Twilight Imperium..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CalicoDave
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons has changed considerably over the years. Even just looking at the recent versions of 3rd, 4th, and 5th the game has changed drastically and there are adherants to all these version. For example, Pathfinder is a direct descendant of 3rd edition and is still going strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
A simple clear example is 3 different versions of scoring farmers and 2 versions of scoring 2-tile cities in Carcassonne.

In the first and second editions of the game, completed cities covering just two tiles scored two points (one per tile) and one extra point for every pennant that resides in the city. This exception is removed from the third edition, in which there is no difference between two-tile cities and cities of larger size.

The greatest divergence in scoring rules between the editions of Carcassonne is in scoring for fields. In the first edition, the players with the greatest number of followers adjacent to a city were awarded four points for that city. Thus, followers from different fields contributed to the scoring for a city, and followers on a field may contribute to the scoring for multiple cities. The second edition considered different fields separately – for each field, the players with the greatest number of followers in a field scored three points for each city adjacent to the field, although points were only scored once for any given city. The third edition removes these exceptions and brings field scoring in line with the scoring of other features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire is a great example

Multiple publishers
Various levels of component quality
Some versions added extra bits and variants to the base game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not exactly what you were thinking of but many traditional card games have numerous different versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Probably not exactly what you were thinking of but many traditional card games have numerous different versions.

And traditional abstract strategy games (Chess, Checkers, Mancala, Go, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Schkeuditz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
Web of Power -> China -> Han
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
A Study in Emerald.

I own the Old version and from what I hear (have not played the new version) that it is more stream-lined however people who loved the first one seemed to say that when the game's new edition came out it stripped away some of what made the game fun/intriguing. The art style of the new version is good to me but the old one was also good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
badge
His marvels of artifice pale in comparison to the developing machinery of his mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only two editions, but worth mentioning.

Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

They're listed as two separate games since the changes are that significant. The first edition is a brutal tile laying abstract game whereas the second edition is some family friendly tile laying piece of crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Steck
United States
Benton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsmith2434 wrote:

Multiple publishers

This is pretty much exactly what the OP wasn't looking for.

Yes, it's been published numerous times, but each version is essentially the same, mechanically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant and Unnamed Object and back to Diamant again, fits your description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a serious stretch to call this "different versions", but I consider the following an evolution/progression...

Age of Steam -> Railways of the World -> Steam

Or, if you prefer, Age of Steam itself has multiole editions. But not really as good an example of a progression of ideas from the same designer as the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cubbieblue wrote:
jmsmith2434 wrote:

Multiple publishers

This is pretty much exactly what the OP wasn't looking for.

Yes, it's been published numerous times, but each version is essentially the same, mechanically.

I'd group the versions into three buckets:
1. World Map version: only buy one stock per turn
2. Main version: the one most people are familiar with, but published in a lot of different ways (I think there's a "special power tiles" version that I'm lumping in here)
3. Latest version: 10 x 10 board
I think there's enough difference, but I don't know of any people that are in favor of anything but #2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness went from a 1-vs-all game (1st Ed.) to a fully cooperative game with app support (2nd Ed.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman
Talisman (second edition?)
Talisman (third edition)
Talisman 4th Edition
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rafaelolg wrote:
I see a pattern here of FFG: Fury of Dracula, Cosmic Encounter, RuneBound, Twilight Imperium..

There's only one version of their take on Cosmic Encounter, but yeah, they only have so many IPs, and they hammer them and do updates. Imperial Assault is essential Doom 4th edition. I think there is little debate on what versions are better sans Decent. Another company who seems to do a number of newer editions, vastly in part due to rule book issues, is Portal. Hell, Stronghold got a revamp and the rule book was still found to be subpar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike within a span of a few years (3rd edition)

Yomi (1st and 2nd Edition)

Flash Duel (1st, 2nd, and Revised 2nd Edition)

Sadly most of these reprints, which made the old versions obsolete, had a timeframe of a year or two. As much as I love David Sirlin's work, I can't buy his games because of the constant revisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Survive! and Escape from Atlantis seem to be a good examples.

In the '80s the Parker Bros' Survive was reimplemented by Waddingtons to Escape from Atlantis. Core similarities with key differences in gameplay (the Waddintons version is less interesting IMO). Big differences in design (Waddington's was cooler IMO) and theme (Survive! was set in present day with no mention of Atlantis).

And now Stronghold games has combined them and made expansions and variants.

I'd list the BGG entries but they confused me on where each game was.

Edit: I see your OOP requirement. Survive! doesn't quite satisfy this since Escape from Atlantis was published before Survive went OOP, I think. But both went OOP before Stronghold started publishing variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
Puzzle Strike within a span of a few years (3rd edition)

I was just going to add Puzzle Strike. Though there isn't a huge difference between 2nd and 3rd, just components if I remember. You could buy an upgrade kit for 2nd edition. They did some balancing of the chips between 1st and 2nd.

I can think of many games which have a 2nd edition that changed things. Robo Rally and Betrayal at the House on the Hill come to mind. The new Robo Rally changed enough to get its own page. Evolution basically has a second edition. The newer printings have better wording on the cards, green and brown cubes along with painted species boards to differentiate body size from population size, and the food values on the cards have changed to be more friendly to new players. My copy has a mix of the different printings as I accumulated expansions and upgrade packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools

Premiere --> Showmanager --> Atlantic Star --> Showmanager

Twilight Imperium 1e --> 2e --> 3e

Runebound 1e --> 2e --> 3e

Die Macher 1e --> 2e --> 3e

And of course 40K 1e --> 8e
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.