Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sometimes near the end of the game when the deck gets low and many trains have been placed, there is not a good placement for you and in fact anything you play may help an opponent. I was wondering if it would be ok to pass? Do the rules cover this at all? (I realize you could just lay stock, but it's possible you might not have any left). I thought of doing this as a variant and if all players pass (only allowed after the first 3 dividend cards have surfaced), then the game would end and the last scoring would take place. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Can you pass?
Al Johnson (#27746),
I don't see any need to allow passing. If NO railroads provide a benefit to you, then you've clearly lost, assuming you're just waiting for the last payday. Might as well play somewhere to at least get another card. If you haven't had at least 3 paydays, you're probably doing something wrong if you have no cards and no railroad lines help you. I would say no passing allowed. Just my opinion, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Fung
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
Al Johnson (#27746),

We have found at the very end, let's say only a few share cards left in the draw pile, you cannot make a play that helps you or your opponents because you don't have the right track card and all those types are filled.

We've played that you discard the card as if laying track and draw a share card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If all of a type of track have been filled, you discard them at the start of your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hamilton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!
badge
Ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumping in late on this very old thread...

My (English translation) of the rules isn't clear on this point either so I can see arguments either way. Nonetheless, my concern would be that if one isn't allowed to pass one potentially forces kingmaking. Ultimately the only effect that forcing someone to build a track can have on the game is to increase randomness.

I personally can't see why you wouldn't allow someone to 'pass' if they choose so long as a track card is still discarded at the end of the phase.

There seems to be some confusion in this thread about what passing means in this instance. My reading would be that you don't pass your entire turn, just the building track phase. Therefore, one would still pick up a track card and pick up a share, then discard a track card at the end of your turn.

Personally I wouldn't allow someone to pass their entire turn as this would mean that they avoid picking up a share card, thereby delaying the final dividend. This would allow more potential for 'spoiler' tactics and kingmaking that would in my view be in conflict with the spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g s
United States
Moab
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Rob,

I like your interpretation.

We had this situation tonight and it really only made sense for someone to not lay track, so we allowed a 'pass', but they still drew/discarded a track card, then drew a stock card. Seemed to make sense to do it that way.

Debate wrote:
Jumping in late on this very old thread...

My (English translation) of the rules isn't clear on this point either so I can see arguments either way. Nonetheless, my concern would be that if one isn't allowed to pass one potentially forces kingmaking. Ultimately the only effect that forcing someone to build a track can have on the game is to increase randomness.

I personally can't see why you wouldn't allow someone to 'pass' if they choose so long as a track card is still discarded at the end of the phase.

There seems to be some confusion in this thread about what passing means in this instance. My reading would be that you don't pass your entire turn, just the building track phase. Therefore, one would still pick up a track card and pick up a share, then discard a track card at the end of your turn.

Personally I wouldn't allow someone to pass their entire turn as this would mean that they avoid picking up a share card, thereby delaying the final dividend. This would allow more potential for 'spoiler' tactics and kingmaking that would in my view be in conflict with the spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.