Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » General

Subject: Learning the hard way - extra activations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We read the rule that if you have to ever spawn zombies that you've run out of miniatures for then the same type on the board get an extra activation, and we assumed it was a kind of an exception thing, a 'what if this unusual event occurs' moment. Ohhhh no. NOW we realise that it's one of the cleverest mechanics in this whole game and probably the biggest threat of all, and the main reason to keep those numbers down. In the last three games we played we came THIS close to completing the quests and each time a string of extra activations killed us all off in rapid succession. Our own stupid fault, indeed, and another awesome moment in this incredible game. We even read recently that the Crowz box has a purposefully small number of miniatures along with high spawn rate cards to get thos edarned birds flocking across the map and attacking like crazy.

Clever. Very clever. And now Zombicide has gone from the game I thought wasn't for me to perhaps my favourite board game ever. Who'd have thought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't encountered this, but I also haven't gotten very far into the campaign. Good to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup! I've only playing the box set for about a week and have made it up to quest 4. I run out of zombies in almost every game! There's nothing like having a horde of like 8-10 walker zombies move two spaces and attack in one activation just because you've run out! It really hurts in the "everyone must live" levels.

I'm guessing that most people don't encounter this if they use expansions because it watered down the spawn deck so that the same type just don't get spawned as often. Say you already have limited fatties. With 4-5 spawn points and pulling 4-5 double activations on the turn, they can potentially spawn a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
I'm guessing that most people don't encounter this if they use expansions because it watered down the spawn deck so that the same type just don't get spawned as often.

Well, it kinda depends. The wolves and deadeye walkers are annoying enough without the extra spawns. The NPCs can drain your walker supply even faster (and also activate when walkers get extra activations) and the abominations have 4 cards each.

The biggest factor in extra activations seems to be the number of survivors. In a 10 player game, I'll run in to them almost constantly, and they'll lead to a party wipe in most cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10 players??? AWESOME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inuitmyth909 wrote:
10 players??? AWESOME.

It really is. But it significantly increases game length. We also do random survivor draws, so you can end up with some pretty bad party combinations. But it avoids the "optimal team" syndrome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the same situation when I started playing, resulting from both lack of basic zombies and the extra activation card.

Though I later got the NPC-1 box, which made it a bit to easy so I had to dial it down a bit, and then Wulfsburg, which again made this less common, but introduced the zombie wolves, I still have to be very careful towards the end of most games about running out of miniatures and have been completely anihilated a couple of times by an unexpected activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good to know adding extra stuff doesn't greatly thin it out. Although at this point, I wouldn't complain if it was slightly easier, for me. blush I've been tempted to take out a couple double spawns and some times consider myself lucky if I pull the abomb or necro!

Luckily I have so much fun losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
Luckily I have so much fun losing.

That's it for us too! Love playing - win or lose!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.