7 Posts

DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: main deck requirements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MICHAEL KIRSHENBAUM
Canada
flag msg tools
Okay, so I've got the original version, plus the 'evil' version, plus the three crisis expansions plus one additional pack . . . quite a lot of cards. I'm having trouble managing the main deck because there are so many cards. I've seen the ideas for how to customize the main deck and that looks great. Is there a baseline requirement for the main deck? Like, how many equipment, heroes etc you absolutely must have for the main deck to function.
Also . . . really stupid question: do you include the starter cards (the ones you start your deck with) in the main deck?

Thanks for any/all help

Michael
lerxs@hotmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deeth82 wrote:
I'm not an authority on the subject, but the only main "requirement" is for game length, so no less than 100 cards in the main deck (special circumstances/variants may deem it otherwise). Other than that, if you're custom-building a deck, trying to have similar numbers of Heroes/Villains/Superpowers/Equipment (approximately 25 of each?) in the deck would keep the variety going, and usually anywhere from 5-10 Locations...10 may be pushing it, though.

Mostly what he said.

Starter cards do not go in main deck.
Have equal amounts of each main card type, but slightly fewer Super Powers (because Kick stack).
Bare minimum of 100 cards is good, if playing Crisis I'd say a Max of 150 or so (which is roughly main deck+a Crisis+a crossover).

For normal games try not to get too far past 150 either. This one's hard to explain easy, so example: too many cards and it gets increasingly likely for a card type to not show up > no/few Equipment will unnecessarily punish Batman and other Equipment characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the points made by others, I just want to mention that one of the rule books (Heroes United, I believe) suggests a simple way to combine decks is to take all of each card class from only one deck.

i.e. All of the Villains, Equipment, and Locations from Forever Evil, all of the Heroes, Superpowers and... whatever I'm forgetting from the original base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Herandez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mix everything together. What ever comes out, comes out. Just shuffle up around 200 random main deck cards or less from all sets and work with that.

I'm not a fan of customizing the main deck. It feels less competitive for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did a kind of draft where each player is randomly given a Superhero (Wonder Woman, Lex Luthor, Batman, Starfire) based around a card-type and then picks a type from one of the sets.

So if you got Wonder Woman you can pick which set the Villains come from.

I picked Heroes Unite for Heroes after someone else picked Forever Evil for Equipment and we had a lot of Cold Guns and Plastic Man'd Cold Guns going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.