Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter (and her boyfriend) came over for a weekend visit. She is a gamer at heart, so I like to take advantage of these visits to always play something new. This was the first miniature game I ever played with her.

The game is Axle Tribes, a free little Mad Max style game I downloaded for free online ( http://www.seanet.com/~owenmp/axle-tribes/ ). I played it once at a convention years ago, and it was pretty fun, and had been sitting in a file on my desktop since.

I figured it would be more fun if they designed their own cars (and built and painted them), so I sent them the rules, and we each had $50,000 to spend. I think they did a pretty spectacular job, especially since they had never experienced a miniature game or painted any miniatures before.

In any case, it was a pretty fun time. We didn’t have a lot of tactics beyond killing each other with a blatant disregard for our own crews. It was a mayhem of bullets, mortar explosions, and a ton of debilitating critical hits.

I didn’t get fancy on the terrain (although I could have), and beyond the cost of printing up the rules and chits needed to play, I spent a whopping $3 to buy three Hot Wheels cars (and digging in my box of bits for some guns). By far the least I’ve EVER spent on a miniature game.

Everyone had a great time, and my daughter…who won, by the way…was already talking about designing new cars. It doesn’t have enough depth to be a game you would play weekly, but for a fun, simple, and cheap one-off or convention game every now and then, it’s certainly worth spending a couple bucks for that Mad Max feel (and who doesn’t want to play with Hot Wheels cars!?).

Dave (Jr.) and Brooke ready to play on my impressive desert scape.

Dave Jr’s Depraved Desert Dogs

Brooks Badland Bastards

Mad Dave’s Motley Crew

On a round you take turns activating one car (fastest to slowest) at a time. Brooke went first and moved her buggy out to the center, but wasn’t in range of anything to fire…but was in a great position for me to come out blasting her and T-bone her in the side, Dave Jr. came out from the other side. Her buggy was pretty much dead in the water and only able to fire at anyone stupid enough to travel right in front of her…Ironically, this was one of only 2 cars that survived the battle with the crew still alive.

Despite our intentions NOT TO, we all converged in the middle jockeying for position and ramming each other in a demolition derby (don[‘t ask why one of my cars has a Scarlet McCaw feather sticking out the window).

Endgame…lots of explosions, smoke, and blood! Took about 2 hours to play, learning the rules as we went. The car Brooke is putting on top of the rock pile is one she accidentally drove off the edge of the table (which we determined would be cliff edges).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.