Massive Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: MD to have Item Sets! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kevin Ecker
United States
California
flag msg tools
Can't believe no one has posted about this yet but look closely at the item descriptions in this pic:

https://mobile.twitter.com/WatchItPlayed/status/863899190266...

I know the Devs said Green Horde would have item sets but this is the first time I've seen anything suggesting MD will have them too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caulet jocelyn
msg tools
Yeah i saw it too

Seems really interresting, especially for the campaign version, to have item Sets !

i would love to see news from CMON or the new rulebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taft Talbot
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play some this weekend at CMON EXPO, and we did run into a few artifacts that had text on it along the lines of, +bonus per item of the "King's buttwhooper set" that you have.

The limited look through the items gave me the impression that the set items were scattered throughout the different item level piles. So maybe 2 were level 2, but some were level 1 or 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rockatansky Ash
msg tools
mbmb
I also noticed trapped treasure chest in those cards. They are new aren't they ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pyramidou wrote:
I also noticed trapped treasure chest in those cards. They are new aren't they ?

Umm no I guess, theres some posts long time ago that says the game has lots of traps and nasty effects, in events deck, chests and maybe doors, but who knows what changed in the final product ...

And yesssss, set items are awesome.

I love the way the characters/classes are really unique now. Curious to see the others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this too last night and got super excited at first glance. The "King's" set is three pieces all of which give -1 shield to the defender. However, they don't seem to offer any set bonus. They are just three items that share a similar name and all give the same item bonus per gear piece. You could just as easily equip two pieces of King's gear, and then a third totally separate piece of gear and get similar benefits. This bummed me out a little.

I wish (and hope to still see) item sets with proper bonuses when you collect all the pieces. Instead of each piece of King's gear giving -1 shield to defenders, why not have them give -3 shields if you have two pieces and -5 shields when you collect all three pieces to make the hunt worth it? That, or maybe some other bonus when you have a partial or full set? That would make collecting them all really worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deathleech wrote:
I saw this too last night and got super excited at first glance. The "King's" set is three pieces all of which give -1 shield to the defender. However, they don't seem to offer any set bonus. They are just three items that share a similar name and all give the same item bonus per gear piece. You could just as easily equip two pieces of King's gear, and then a third totally separate piece of gear and get similar benefits. This bummed me out a little.

I wish (and hope to still see) item sets with proper bonuses when you collect all the pieces. Instead of each piece of King's gear giving -1 shield to defenders, why not have them give -3 shields if you have two pieces and -5 shields when you collect all three pieces to make the hunt worth it? That, or maybe some other bonus when you have a partial or full set? That would make collecting them all really worth it.

Unless there's some skill involved in getting them all (aside from luck of the draw), big set bonuses would unbalance the game and make non-sets feel gimped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
deathleech wrote:

Unless there's some skill involved in getting them all (aside from luck of the draw), big set bonuses would unbalance the game and make non-sets feel gimped.

Eh, it just depends on proper balance. We already have seen the artifacts which are MUCH more powerful than my example of an item set bonus. Their effects were from just a single item (not having to go through a game and collect all three very specific items), and were VERY strong. There was a ring that granted a whole nother magic activation, a standard that granted two extra hits/shields on all rolls, etc. When compared to those, -2 extra defense to defenders when you have all three items doesn't seem like that big of deal.

Of course, if they changed those artifacts, or for whatever reason the set bonus WAS too strong, I think it could be toned down. Maybe just -1 defense extra for the set bonus when you collect all three pieces of a set? That way, there is still some incentive to look for the sets, but not so much that not having them gimps you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deathleech wrote:

I'm assuming that these sets will have several bonuses tied to them. The King's Crown offers -1 Def to the attacker per King item, while the Mace might grant extra Bams per King item, and the Armour a third bonus. With a full set, one would have three separate powered up bonuses applied to their lives.

I like it as a concept, with several little extras that get better with more devotion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blossercubbles wrote:
I'm assuming that these sets will have several bonuses tied to them. The King's Crown offers -1 Def to the attacker per King item, while the Mace might grant extra Bams per King item, and the Armour a third bonus. With a full set, one would have three separate powered up bonuses applied to their lives.

I like it as a concept, with several little extras that get better with more devotion.

I think I originally read this wrong. So it looks like there actually IS a set bonus and you get more stats per individual item based on how many pieces of a set you have? The King's Crown gives -1 shield to the defender if you just have the crown, but gives -3 shield if you have all three pieces. I assume the other two King's pieces will work in a similar fashion so that would make them actually STRONGER than the set bonus I was using as an example. If the Crown gives -3 defense, maybe the Armor gives you +3 defense and the Mace gives +3 hits, all up from +1 if you have just any one of those items individually?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graydon Randol
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
yeah, if you watch the Kickstarter trailer again they show the level 2 King's Armor when talking about armor cards. "+1(Armor/green defense die) per other equipped cards of the King's set: King's Crown, King's Mace"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1090193. randolgraydon
  • 1d10 =
  • (5) =
  • Tue May 16, 2017 5:09 am
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.