Subject: Treasures and items/designs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello everyone,

Been having a blast exploring Gloomhaven so far, but I am a bit uncertain about Treasure chest looting.

When does the character who loots the chest get an item and when is it "just" a design that gets added to the Gloomhaven market? Does the character who loots a chest with an item design always get a copy of the item and the other copy goes to the market? How does this work?

Tried to find the answer in the rules FAQ and forums here but havent been able to find a conclusive answer yet.

May the Gloom consume you all,
Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
Roll Damn Tide!
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
Started feeling gloomy. Fingers pulled me to this post. What hell hath you wrought?! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the item says item design (we have seen a few in our group), you just add all copies of the new item to the Gloomhaven market. You have to find the money to acquire the item.

If it says item (we haven't seen any yet), you get the item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the treasure is an item, the character who looted gets it. If it is a "random item design", then follow the specific procedure, p.38 of the rulebook. Essentially, one or more items are added to the pool of available items but none is taken by the character who looted the treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lewellen
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Can the character immediately equip the item? I want to say no, but cannot find a rule against it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jlewellen wrote:
Can the character immediately equip the item? I want to say no, but cannot find a rule against it.

Equipping items only happen between scenarios (pg. 8 of first printing pg. 12 of second printing rules). Also in FAQ

FAQ wrote:
If I loot, say, an armor item from a treasure tile and I am already wearing armor, what happens?

You can own any number of items (but only one copy of each). It is not limited only to what you can equip. So when you find armor in a chest and already have armor, you still get to keep the armor you got, you just won't be able to equip it until next scenario. Actually, since you can only equip items in between scenarios, even if you weren't wearing armor, you'd still have to wait to equip the armor you just got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lewellen
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you. Thought that was the case, but could not find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Komdetch Koonopakarn
United States
California
flag msg tools
Look to see if it says:

"Gain" x item or x item "design".

If it has the word "gain" in the front, it won't have the word design. In this case, get one copy of the item and find the other copies and add them to the shop inventory.

If it has the word "design" at the back, it won't have the word gain. In this case, you get nothing--find the copies of the item and add them to the shop inventory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
koonopak wrote:
Look to see if it says:

"Gain" x item or x item "design".

If it has the word "gain" in the front, it won't have the word design. In this case, get one copy of the item and find the other copies and add them to the shop inventory.

If it has the word "design" at the back, it won't have the word gain. In this case, you get nothing--find the copies of the item and add them to the shop inventory.

This isn't right. If you gain 1 item, the rest do not go into the store. You only add items to the store if you get the design. Rules P49:
Quote:
If an item is gained as a reward, players should find one copy of that item from the deck of unavailable items and give it to one of the present characters. If an item design is gained as a reward, players should find all copies of that item from the deck of unavailable items and add them to the city’s available supply of items

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the above, if you get a "random item design" make sure to put both the blue-backed and red-backed copies into the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chest 200: Gain "Crown of Awesome" (Item 332)

-- Whoever opened the chest would get a single copy of the item, other copies are not added to the market.

Chest 666: "Lucky Pick" (Item 777) Item Design

-- Add all copies of this item to the market.

IIRC, sometimes 'Gain' will be missing from the first type of loot, so it would just say the item name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.