Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Ticket to Ride» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you pass? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 2017 [+] making_stuff_up [+] [View All]
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Ran into an interesting situation playing the app. The other players had sucked tons of cards into their hands, so there were none to draw. And there aren't any routes I could claim with my train cards. The game was almost over, so I didn't want to risk getting a destination ticket. I wanted to just pass, but couldn't wind any way to do so in the app. Finally I remembered that I could buy a station sine I was playing Europe.

1) is it legal to pass; is there any way to do so in the app?
2) it seems possible to have no legal moves.. if I wasn't playing on a map with stations and all the destination cards are gone, what would have happened?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't pass in TTR.
rulebook wrote:
In the unlikely event there are no cards left in the deck, and no discards available to shuffle as a result of players hoarding cards in their hands, a player will not be able to draw Train cards. He must then Claim a Route, Draw Destination Tickets or Build a Station.

However, if there are no Destination Tickets available to draw, you coul dmake a case for "drawing 0" tickets, which would have the same effect.
rulebook wrote:
If there are less than three Destination Tickets left in the deck, the player only draws the cards that are available.
10 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
Ran into an interesting situation playing the app. The other players had sucked tons of cards into their hands, so there were none to draw. And there aren't any routes I could claim with my train cards. The game was almost over, so I didn't want to risk getting a destination ticket. I wanted to just pass, but couldn't wind any way to do so in the app. Finally I remembered that I could buy a station sine I was playing Europe.

1) is it legal to pass; is there any way to do so in the app?
2) it seems possible to have no legal moves.. if I wasn't playing on a map with stations and all the destination cards are gone, what would have happened?


1) Passing is not a regular action in any version. I have no idea if the app would ever allow it.
2) If there were truly no tickets left to draw, which is plausible only in a couple of versions, I would have no problem with allowing you to pass if you couldn't draw train cards or claim a route.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No passing. Force to either put down trains or draw destination tickets.

Now, I would find it difficult to believe that both train deck and destination decks are fully depleted (UNLESS of course it was a group effort to get to that game state). BUT if for some odd reason you do, I would say you MUST put down a route.

IF you somehow can't legally do any of those, well then I guess you can pass. I would have to request the person to show their hand though b/c I'm sure they can put down [being able and not wanting are two different things].
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As previously stated: no, passing just for the sake of it isn't allowed.

However, if all of the other players have hoarded cards and the game is approaching the end, I assume it is you that have almost depleted your train reserve. Thus your probability of winning should be rather good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
The other players had sucked tons of cards into their hands, so there were none to draw.
I think you could still take the Draw Cards action, even with no cards available.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
EMBison wrote:
The other players had sucked tons of cards into their hands, so there were none to draw.
I think you could still take the Draw Cards action, even with no cards available.

Except for the fact that the rules expressly say otherwise, as quoted by ironregime above.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In theory, I don't think it's even possible to be forced to pass.

Even if other players hoard more Train cards, the board is mostly full, you can still draw Destination Tickets since they just keep recycling. In a game like Swiss map where discarded Dtick are removed from the game, I'm still not so sure either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
In theory, I don't think it's even possible to be forced to pass.


In theory, you can definitely run of cards, assuming that when people draw destination tickets that they keep them.

In a practical setting, you will never get to that state unless it's a group effort but now, at that point, you're not even playing the game.

In fact, you can't even lock the game (in a theoretical sense). Assume all cards are drawn and kept -- in a 5-player game, there is no configuration of dealt cards where one person won't be able to eventually get a 6 length train. Therefore, I'm fairly confident that there will ALWAYS be an available move.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.