Popular Tags: [View All]
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read through the FAQ and other threads addressing this but am still confused on how to determine what a random item is.

So I understand if something is named (i.e. "Ring of Flatulence" design, Item "xxx") you get to add the item to your collection. Some of these items have multiple copies. Is the extra copy added to the collective pool?

Now, what about treasures that state "Random Item Design"? Is the item number that is added to the collective pool the same as the treasure number or do you draw one of the "Random Item" cards with the blue card backs and then add the corresponding item from the regular red card backs to the collective pool?

Thanks for setting me straight on this.

EDIT: extra question/clarification. I read the updated scenarion and rules. I noticed some "named" items on treasures have "Gain" in front of them, and some don't. Do you even get an item listed unless it says "GAIN" in front of it, even if it's a named item, or do items without "Gain" go to the collective pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 38 in the rulebook

"Whenever a “Random Item Design” is listed as the reward
when looting a treasure tile, the looting player should draw
a card from the random item design deck. These cards look
very similar to normal item cards, but have a blue back,
shown at the right. When a card is drawn, the player should
find the one additional copy of the drawn item with the
same reference number in the deck of unavailable items and
add both cards to the city’s available supply of items. It is
possible to deplete the random item design deck. In this case,
additional random item design rewards have no effect."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I totally missed that in the rules.

Now how about named items without "gain" in front of them as in the new scenario book. Do you get them or do the go to the collective pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this from page 49 help?

"If an item is gained as a reward, players should find one copy of that item from the deck of unavailable items and give it to one of the present characters. If an item design is gained as a reward, players should find all copies of that item from the deck of unavailable items and add them to the city’s available supply of items."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really since that applies to scenario rewards and not treasure tiles. Specifically, treasure item 65:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
“Horned Helm” design (Item 107)
This item does not have "Gain" in front of it, but it is not a "random item design". According to the rules from p.15 under Treasures, it would immediately be added to your item pool (not the collective pool)... or does it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Komdetch Koonopakarn
United States
California
flag msg tools
Quote:

So I understand if something is named (i.e. "Ring of Flatulence" design, Item "xxx") you get to add the item to your collection. Some of these items have multiple copies. Is the extra copy added to the collective pool?

Note that there's a distinction between "design" and the lack thereof.

If you got the Ring of Flatulence "design", you would not get any copies immediately. The copies of the item will appear in the shop at Gloomhaven and you'd have to purchase them.

However, if the word "design" is missing, then you immediately get one copy of that item. The other copy(s) of the item will go to the Gloomhaven shop and can be purchased the next time you go to town.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
“Horned Helm” design (Item 107)
This item does not have "Gain" in front of it, but it is not a "random item design". According to the rules from p.15 under Treasures, it would immediately be added to your item pool (not the collective pool)... or does it?

This has the word "design" so it goes to the shop inventory. The second printing of the scenario book has clarified the two types of loot.

If it says "Gain", it won't have the word "design"--you get a copy of the item itself and get the rest of the copies put into the shop inventory.

If it says "design", it won't have the word "gain"--you get zero copies of the item itself--put all copies of the item into the shop inventory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That clears it up perfectly for me. So it's all about the word "design" or its absence on where the items go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Keys
Australia
flag msg tools
koonopak wrote:
However, if the word "design" is missing, then you immediately get one copy of that item. The other copy(s) of the item will go to the Gloomhaven shop and can be purchased the next time you go to town.

Where does it say that about the other copies?

We've been presuming that the other copies will manifest later though prosperity or treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just presumed the other way. Maybe we're both right, or wrong

It just seems like the named items are unique with only one copy. The design items normally have more than one of a card item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bart_aus wrote:
koonopak wrote:

Where does it say that about the other copies?

We've been presuming that the other copies will manifest later though prosperity or treasure.

Yaw, that last bit about adding other copies to the shop isn't correct. If the word "design" is missing, then only one copy is given to whoever receives the item.

rule book pg. 49 wrote:
If an item is gained as a reward, players should find one copy of that item from the deck of unavailable items and give it to one of the present characters. If an item design is gained as a reward, players should find all copies of that item from the deck of unavailable items and add them to the city’s available supply of items.

The above rule quotation corresponds to scenario rewards but a similar statement applies to treasure (rule book pg. 14).

Edit: Should also note that these statements are also the same in the second printing of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.