Subject: My first two games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I got to play my first two full games of Vast. I had already played part of a game (as the goblins). We may have been about half way through that game when the time ran out. One other player had played two half games, the first being the one I was also in. The two others had not played before.

We did not explain all the rules, or even read our own role's rules before starting. We just started playing after a very minimal description of the game, and discussed the rules as we needed them. This worked very well.

The knight had a difficult time in both games. I, as the cave, spend a considerable amount of effort keeping her alive. Towards the end of the second game, there was one card left in the event deck that was not ambush or rats. She did not manage to gather much grit, until the very end of the second game. This meant that she did not really have a chance of catching up with the dragon, and did not waste cubes trying to do so. She concentrated on getting grit and defending herself from the goblins, with no great success in either. She spent all of the first game and most of second far from the dragon. That had the unexpected (to me) effect of slowing down he dragon. Since the goblins had no reason to go near the dragon, he had to rely on hiss to eat goblins. This meant that he ate less than one per turn.

I won the first game while the dragon was still asleep and unwounded. I do not remember exactly how many lives the knight had left or how many goblin tribes were on the map, but I do not think that the goblins would have won in their next turn.

The end of the second game was much more dramatic. The dragon had surfaced, and needed just two wings to get to the exit. Poor placement of a crystal tile on my part. All three dragon gems were on the map. The knight had one life left. There was one goblin tribe on the map. I needed to remove five tiles to win, and I had one omen token useful for hatred, meaning that I would need to draw two to win.
On her last turn, the knight managed to accomplice more than in the rest of the two games combined. She went through a considerable number of side quests, picked up all three dragon gems, aquired all of her hero cubes, caught up with the dragon, and gave him the only wound he took in two games. She needed both the javelin and the die to do this.

The goblins then drew the secret that allows a tribe to move through the light unharmed, winning the game.

All this took about five hours. All involved enjoyed the game. After the first, we all wanted to play again with the same roles. I had expected much of this game, and I was in no way disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report, I found some of my 1st games of Vast similar.

The 1st one (I botched the explanation) and played a couple of rules wrong and the Knight had a terrible game, they also didn't quite get what they were doing and did not attack the dragon as they claimed they did not have enough strength. I don't think they got what was happening. Also I as the Cave played very badly, not looking at tiles, playing tiles without redrawing after each placement as I was more concerned with trying to give the others help.

The second game went much better everyone had a better handle on the game (it was only 4 player) and one player had played previously.

The next two games where both 5 player games with new players (this is a mistake). I think it is best to limit games with new players to 4 players (with the experience player as the Cave, as the Thief has a too easy time of it as everyone else is concerned with their win conditions that the thief is ignored and just goes around grabbing treasure, pick pocketing others and winning.

I also think the game is brilliant, it is a bold design (hardly any core rules and totally asymmetrical player roles). It does make it hard to teach, though as you did, minimal rules and get each player to read their sheets. I think the Knight is best explained since they are 1st to play.

I also think when everyone knows what they are doing about 2 hours should be an average play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
All The Earth
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peltazoid wrote:
The next two games where both 5 player games with new players (this is a mistake). I think it is best to limit games with new players to 4 players (with the experience player as the Cave, as the Thief has a too easy time of it as everyone else is concerned with their win conditions that the thief is ignored and just goes around grabbing treasure, pick pocketing others and winning.

This was exactly my experience. It was everyone's first game, and a few missteps were made early on that the thief was able to capitalize on. Some of the players started trying to slow him down a few turns in, but it was too late, and he won by pick pocketing the knight near the entrance before the cave had even fully expanded.

It was a fairly disappointing, as it took a little while to find a group willing to give it a go, and didn't feel like it had fully played out. I'll definitely try to do a 4 player game sans thief if I can next time, as I really like the idea behind this game and want to give it another chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.