5 Posts

Lilliburlero: The Battle of the Boyne, July 1690» Forums » Rules

Subject: Comments and queries rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve D
msg tools
mb

I finally got this to the table and tried out the Aughrim scenario as it's relatively small. I enjoyed it, particularly the way the command structure decays under pressure making it harder to react and the pretty attritional nature of the Williamite attacks on Kilcommadan ridge. I have a few questions though, as follows.

1. The Jacobite set up for area 15 (Aughrim scenario, rule 15.4) includes a Prendergast horse regt. in Lucan's brigade. I can't find one in the countermix. Looking in the McNally book on the battle, he lists Abercorn, O'Brien, Prendergast and Tyrconnell as well as the Horse Guards here. He doesn't mention Sutherland though (included in the game orbat and countermix). Are Sutherland and Prendergast really the same unit, with some confusion due to the lt.-col. commanding on the day or similar ? I assumed something like this had happened rather than adding in another unit from the mix.

2. I'm a little confused about activations. I assume you attempt to activate an area, and any units that aren't really activated due to lack of APs can't be subsequently activated in the same game turn. Is that right ? Reading 7.3.2 and the note after 7.3.3 I'm unsure.

3. I assumed the "Boggy River Border" rules only apply to crossing streams edged with bogs. So, the additional +2 DRM doesn't apply if you attack from e.g. area 17 into area 16 ? Reading about the battle made me wonder, given the difficulties the Williamite troops had with the boggy ground.

I really did enjoy the game though, it was made all the more interesting since I visited the sites of the Boyne and Aughrim during a trip to Ireland last week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NightComesIn wrote:

I finally got this to the table and tried out the Aughrim scenario as it's relatively small. I enjoyed it, particularly the way the command structure decays under pressure making it harder to react and the pretty attritional nature of the Williamite attacks on Kilcommadan ridge. I have a few questions though, as follows.

1. The Jacobite set up for area 15 (Aughrim scenario, rule 15.4) includes a Prendergast horse regt. in Lucan's brigade. I can't find one in the countermix. Looking in the McNally book on the battle, he lists Abercorn, O'Brien, Prendergast and Tyrconnell as well as the Horse Guards here. He doesn't mention Sutherland though (included in the game orbat and countermix). Are Sutherland and Prendergast really the same unit, with some confusion due to the lt.-col. commanding on the day or similar ? I assumed something like this had happened rather than adding in another unit from the mix.

Colonel Prendergast commanded Sutherland's old regiment at Aughrim, but we ended up using the same counter, use the Sutherland Horse.

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NightComesIn wrote:

3. I assumed the "Boggy River Border" rules only apply to crossing streams edged with bogs. So, the additional +2 DRM doesn't apply if you attack from e.g. area 17 into area 16 ? Reading about the battle made me wonder, given the difficulties the Williamite troops had with the boggy ground.

If you look very carefully under a bright light you will see that Areas 04, 05, 15, 17, 18, 21, 22 and 23 have blue terrain colour; the rivers between these areas are Boggy River Borders. It may be easier to remember that the Rivers next to Aughrim Castle and Doocreggaun are not boggy.

Philip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NightComesIn wrote:
2. I'm a little confused about activations. I assume you attempt to activate an area, and any units that aren't really activated due to lack of APs can't be subsequently activated in the same game turn. Is that right ? Reading 7.3.2 and the note after 7.3.3 I'm unsure.

Units that are not activated (by choice, or lack of Activation Points) do not count as being activated, they are not turned 180 degrees, and may be activated later that turn using the Activation rules (7.3, 7.4)

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
msg tools
mb
Philip Jelley wrote:
NightComesIn wrote:

If you look very carefully under a bright light you will see that Areas 04, 05, 15, 17, 18, 21, 22 and 23 have blue terrain colour; the rivers between these areas are Boggy River Borders. It may be easier to remember that the Rivers next to Aughrim Castle and Doocreggaun are not boggy.

Philip

Thanks for this and the other responses. I could see the blue colour, it's the fact that it extends across the 16/17 boundary that made me wonder about its effect there.

Thanks again for the game - I'm really enjoying it .

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.