Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Jensen
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the event calendar opened yesterday, and there was a loooot of events.

Do I need tickets for demos of games? Do I need to grab a demo slot? Or what are the sign-ups for games for if they aren't tournaments or fellowship events?

And are there free tables for people to just, you know, play their own games?

I appreciate any comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Tickets and events question -- first timer
Which Con are you attending?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jensen
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, edited title. Gencon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will get more responses over on the Gencon forum. But to demo in the dealer hall you don't need tickets though sometimes you have to get there early to sign up for a slot to demo. The sign up for games are to play the full game. Normally there is someone there that will teach you the game and then you play.

There are tables that you can usually use to play your own games though I am not sure why you would want to haul them to the convention hall. If you are staying in a hotel there is usually gaming in the evenings at the hotels. At the convention you can go to the library and check out games and play them. I would do that before hauling my own games around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good tips and discussion on the unofficial Gen Con Indy Facebook discussion group—if you use Facebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dennard
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To elaborate on that, the exhibition hall is full of booths where you can demo games, but the hall can be pretty crowded, and these demos are frequently shortened versions or just a portion of the games. To play the demos, you will usually need to wait in line for a table to free up, or in some cases, sign up to come back at a later time.

Next to the dealer hall is a huge hall of tables where the majority of the gaming events that you see listed in the catalog take place. To participate in these, you will need a ticket for the event, although for some, generic tickets will suffice. Unless it says differently in the event listing, these games are full games. For some you will need to know the rules already and for others, the rules will be taught. This is pointed out in the event listing.

The event hall usually has free tables around, but it's usually worthwhile to make sure there isn't an upcoming event scheduled there, so you won't have to move in the middle of a game. Also, the various surrounding hotels usually have large open rooms with tables that are available for open gaming. If you're there solo, it may or may not be hard to get in on a game with a group there.

Another option is that a few companies have rooms in the hotels or in the convention hall that are open gaming for their games. Some require tickets, and some don't. The ones that require tickets will be in the event catalog. You can also get a ticket to the Gen Con Library open gaming, which just gives you a time slot. You can go in to the library and check out games from their collection and play for your whole time slot. In the library there are frequently games that need players, so you can join in. The BGG hot games room offers a similar experience, but it is set aside for the newest games.

And if you're interested in Werewolf or some other social games, there are always games running throughout the night.

It can be a little overwhelming, but it's a great experience. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
To add a bit. The unticketed demos in the dealer hall are exactly that, demos. You might get to play 100% of a shorter game, but only a turn or two of a long game. Also, the quality of the demo varies based on the person giving the demo and the people you are sitting at the table with. And that's OK, it's just supposed to be a taste of the game.

If you want a complete playthrough of something, look for ticketed demo sessions. Those will typically be held in the MUCH less crowded play hall, connected to the vendor hall.

Open play happens all over the place. I remember playing quite a few games at some yellow tables last year. I don't know what was held there during the day, but in the evening they were all open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lili Private
msg tools
mb
Mike to my knowledge there is not a forum just for GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michariella wrote:
https://www.gencon.com/forums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Akden wrote:
You can also get a ticket to the Gen Con Library open gaming, which just gives you a time slot. You can go in to the library and check out games from their collection and play for your whole time slot. In the library there are frequently games that need players, so you can join in. The BGG hot games room offers a similar experience, but it is set aside for the newest games.
These in particular are two excellent suggestions for a first-timer. Generally, most first timers seem to find Gen Con more overwhelming/intense than they expected and wind up overscheduling in an attempt to make sure they've got stuff to do. One or two scheduled particular things a day is a good first time load, plus set aside a full day for the exhibit hall.

"One or two? That's so little!" Well, yes and no, but that's why the tickets related to open gaming are so useful. Fill in your gaps with things that are loosely scheduled but which you won't be stressed to arrive at if you see something else interesting along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lili Private
msg tools
mb
Mike,
Yes you are correct --- I thought you meant the BGG had a forum section just for GenCon instead off the generalized "Conventions" one we are currently posting in.

I have checked out the actual GenCon one before, but it seemed pretty lame and not really that informative -- I have found way more helpful advice in this forum over the yrs and via social media/YouTube etc. ... GenCon is amazing but in general it's PR/Tribal building/marketing really sucks -- I think it's grown so quickly because of passion for gaming and has very little to do with Con organizers ( in the PR realm) -- if they had people that actually could build more momentum esp. with making it more approachable to families they would likely be over the 100,000 mark.

There is an entire generation of people like myself that grew up gaming and now have younger kids but as often discussed on social media the con pretty much sucks for those age 5 to about 15. A lot of people don't want to game with "younger" kids and there are very very few activities that allow kids to play "adult" games esp more logical type games etc. This is a hugely untapped market because the con doesn't leverage this crowd appropriately.

FrankNBeans13 wrote:
Michariella wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madslaust wrote:
. . .

And are there free tables for people to just, you know, play their own games?

I appreciate any comments!

Last year there were open, non-ticket requiring tables in the passageway between the Convention Center and Lucas Oil Stadium They were open on a first come, first served basis.

As for the gaming hall attached to the vendor hall, you should be able to ask one of the gaming HQs near the tables you are considering to see when the next scheduled event is to see if you have enough time. Also, later in the evening, there is usually plenty of room in the gaming hall. During the day is another story, especially on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the events, including demos, require tickets. Others don't. Event tickets are specific to the event, and you get first priority over generic ticket holders. Generic tickets work for anything. In the case that an event is full, show up early with generic tickets, and if the event ticket holders don't show up, you can pay with generic tickets to get in.

NOTE: event tickets can be traded in for their equivalent in generic tickets.
At the end of the con, generic tickets can be traded in for credit towards tickets for upcoming years! You don't get any cash back!

Michariella wrote:
Mike,
Yes you are correct --- I thought you meant the BGG had a forum section just for GenCon instead off the generalized "Conventions" one we are currently posting in.

I have checked out the actual GenCon one before, but it seemed pretty lame and not really that informative -- I have found way more helpful advice in this forum over the yrs and via social media/YouTube etc. ... GenCon is amazing but in general it's PR/Tribal building/marketing really sucks -- I think it's grown so quickly because of passion for gaming and has very little to do with Con organizers ( in the PR realm) -- if they had people that actually could build more momentum esp. with making it more approachable to families they would likely be over the 100,000 mark.

There is an entire generation of people like myself that grew up gaming and now have younger kids but as often discussed on social media the con pretty much sucks for those age 5 to about 15. A lot of people don't want to game with "younger" kids and there are very very few activities that allow kids to play "adult" games esp more logical type games etc. This is a hugely untapped market because the con doesn't leverage this crowd appropriately.

FrankNBeans13 wrote:
Michariella wrote:

I have been asking BGG to create a Gen Con subforum here on the Conventions board. They haven't. I will continue to do so because I can't see why it wouldn't make sense shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I have been asking BGG to create a Gen Con subforum here on the Conventions board. They haven't. I will continue to do so because I can't see why it wouldn't make sense shake

Makes perfect sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boggs
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
austicke wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Here Here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
beanieboy007 wrote:
austicke wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Here Here!

Hear, hear!
(This is both agreement and a non-confrontational correction )

Until BGG's GenCon Preview Geeklist goes up, I have a very hard time planning out what games I want to look for beforehand. Wish there were a better, more concentrated place for people to discuss such things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1st time, you lucky dog you, enjoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.