Runewars Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: How is this game doing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Panting
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Wanted to see how people thought this game was so far. I was thinking about picking up one or two copies to paint and try and sell on ebay or something.
The miniatures look really cool. I think it would be a fun one to paint, but wanted to see if anyone thought this game was going to, or is doing well so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First Last
msg tools
It's a really enjoyable game but hasn't caught on as quickly as I would have liked. I'm hoping that after a few more expansions and the 3rd and 4th faction are available that there will be an increase in players.

I think that FFG has put out an awesome game, I just hope that they are expecting it to take a year or so to start to take off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
It's really fun, my favorite of the "flight path" type games (like X wing and many others) so far. My group together has bought six or seven base sets, and 15 (!) of the expansions that are coming out in a few days.

I don't really worry about how much it has "caught on", since I don't play except with friends. And the minis were very fun to paint, and the plastic is easy to cut and modify, if you're so inclined, to give you lots of options for alternative poses and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is a blast... but not catching on to the extent I had hoped...

Recommendations for FF:

Hold of and release more than just the core set...

Ex... Offer up start an army boxes so folks can choose sooner (elves, Humans, undead, chaos)

I know some that are waiting for the elves

Don't make this game dependent on upgrade cards that you can only get buy buying expansions from armies that you are not interested in supporting

and the biggest... don't fail on this one FF. They don't have a great history with miniatures games and folks are scared of getting burnt...
(Dust, Battlore 1st edition, Battlore GOT, Battle lore second edition, Talisman) to name a few...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dead in my area. only 2 FLGS around me. bought at the one and the other never heard of it when I asked if any people there were playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my mind, it's too early to tell, it's going to take more expansions before there's enough game to attract more interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a game that will gain in popularity - that's my hope at least now that I seem to be buying in and painting away!

I think the issue is that we don't have all we really need to play fully.

The core set =/= the actual game in my opinion. It's a great "teaser" and a great way to get people interested and let them try two factions.

I just don't see it gaining momentum until we see a few expansions, more unique units, more upgrades, etc... that's when the game will really shine in my opinion. The pieces are there for it and it is a good game... hopefully people slowly hop on board!

For my group - we plan to, once the elves are out, to start hosting a few learn to play nights at the FLGS's... try to drum up a little interest here and there. It'll be a LOT easier once there are 3 factions out and plenty of expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game that is going to have to lure in some established minis gamers and not just boardgamers in order to survive. Boardgamers will tend to move on to the next new thing much more quickly than minis gamers will. X-wing did well because minis gamers love it, even Rick Priestly has written about the game.

If boardgamers were fully onboard, you would see more activity here.

That said, every single mini gaming site that I frequent isn't talking about it at all. These are sites that discuss 30 year old games fanatically, really obscure 2mm historical games, current hot games like Frostgrave, and everything in between.

One has a total of three posts, all from before Adepticon.

Do a google search for reviews or blogs about the game and it is very sparse. FFG gave away thousands of copies of this game to avid minis wargamers and there is hardly anything about it.

That said, I seriously think the new 40k edition is just going to murder this right at the same time the Elf release happens. Even though they are different genres, guess what a new gamer will pickup when he sees what every person in the shop is doing.

I am starting to actually have doubts that we will even see the Uthuk before 2018 now.

FFG really botched the release of this game and seems content to keep slowly dribbling out bits and pieces. It will be this time next year before you even have any real choice in factions and army building.

Sorry to be a downer, but I have never seen a minis game release to such little enthusiasm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bpanting wrote:
Wanted to see how people thought this game was so far. I was thinking about picking up one or two copies to paint and try and sell on ebay or something.
The miniatures look really cool. I think it would be a fun one to paint, but wanted to see if anyone thought this game was going to, or is doing well so far.

There's no game yet. Once there's a game out in a year or two and players have some choices, we shall see.

A core set does not a miniatures game make. Dinking around with two or three units is going to get boring. But, you can always paint whilst you wait for expansions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drybrushed
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
X-wing did well because minis gamers love it, even Rick Priestly has written about the game.

X-Wing did (!) do well, but it has also since lost a lot of good will with taking the inflation of rules, rules cards, horrific balancing, power creep and the general card-board fetish of FFG to new levels.

"Star Wars" can and does overcome some of those shortcomings in FFG rules design (especially the "long term" rules design), but the Descent setting propably does less so.

FFG need to do a lot more to show there will be far, far, far fewer upgrades and card-board cards, ideally publishing rules compiled into "army books" per faction to drop the bring-cards-requirements.

Also, as factions go, providing print-and-play-rules for all available Descent miniatures on launch along with some conversion articles/pdf on building something like MDF-movement trays, etc.. would've launched the game with a far greater diversity of available factions/heroes/miniatures/etc..

And a step further, pdf rules for generic Undead/Elves/Humans/Dwarfs to allow disenfranchised WFB/etc.. players to get a few early games in with old, lovingly collected miniatures would've gone even further to setting up a scene.

A missed opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost none of the Descent minis are actual soldiers in any army though. A bunch of random monsters does not work well in any rank and file game.

The three things that FFG has done to make this game dependent on you buying stuff only from them is the trays, the dials , and the upgrade cards. You are fooling yourself if you think FFG will license their, almost certainly trademarked or maybe even patented trays to anyone else.

FFG doesn't want people playing with their old Warhammer figures, they want you buying their new ones.

FFG also doesn't want you using photocopies or pdfs of cards or typed lists. There will be lots of cards for this game, maybe not as many as X-Wing, but we already have unit stat cards (the only place the stats are actually written anywhere), the upgrade cards, the terrain cards, the scenario/objective cards, the morale cards, and I'm sure there may be more in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I've been following the game since it was announced at Gen-Con last year, but I didn't buy into it because of how much I liked Battlelore 2nd Ed. I was irritated at how that turned out. So far, I'm glad I avoided getting sucked into Runewars, even though I think the game system they created looks well designed.

One of the things I think was odd about the choice to do a rank & file game, is because of how un-popular that style of game is right now even in the hardcore miniatures gaming world. Skirmish games are all the rage right now. Their timing just seems really bad for this game because so many of us are opting to own and play several smaller skirmish games like Frostgrave, Malifaux, Infinity, MERCs, etc., rather than go all-in on one game.

I understand the business decision behind abandoning Battlelore 2nd. Ed. due to relatively weak sales and the difficulty of making the smaller scaled sculpts. But I do not understand why they thought Runewars would sell better than Battelore, or the strategy behind its release.

I think FFG would have had much more initial interest if they made a skirmish game based of their Android/Netrunner IP. They've already put a lot of effort into the lore of the Android universe with the books they have released and the narrative that has been built up in their other games. And I think that game has more of a unique style and setting that people would be interested in. If they made that a skirmish level game to where a core set was actually big enough to provide a satisfying game, and a few expansions went a long way, I think it would have done better.

I think another problem that FFG has is how they keep re-tooling the same game systems over and over into new games. I don't deny that the X-Wing system is great, or that the Runewars version of that seems compelling and well thought out. But I know they turn off a lot of people who feel like they keep re-working the same game mechanics over and over again instead of coming up with completely new systems.

Also, the miniatures gaming market is getting really over-crowded in the last year or two IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First Last
msg tools
warfinger wrote:
I think another problem that FFG has is how they keep re-tooling the same game systems over and over into new games. I don't deny that the X-Wing system is great, or that the Runewars version of that seems compelling and well thought out. But I know they turn off a lot of people who feel like they keep re-working the same game mechanics over and over again instead of coming up with completely new systems.

With the templates, and pre-planned movement on dials, FFG dice, and unit and upgrade cards the game certainly looks like X-wing. In playing the game though I don't get the impression that I'm playing "X-Wing:Fantasy Landwar".

I'm all for new an interesting systems but aren't most miniatures fairly derivative? They may have a couple of unique and interesting mechanics but they aren't doing anything that different from what's been done for the past 30 years or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What is wrong with the way we've been playing minis so far? Mind you, a lot of mini games have their own quirks (malifaux use cards e.g) so it's not like Runewars is the only unique one.

Just looking at the game you can figure out how expensive it will be to have a bit of variety, storage will be an issue, time consuming painting this stuff... eh... maybe if it was in 15mm, as it is... No, thank you. I bet a lot of people have the same reservations as me.

Netrunner skirmish game! Now this is a brilliant idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
razielpawel wrote:

It's called Infinity, and it's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben walker
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is great. The ruleset is the best iteration of FFG's 'flight' system to date, and if this game was skinned with a more recognisable IP, it would be all anyone was talking about.

FFG underesstimated the importance of imagination in a fantasy-set minis game, and this, combined with the underwhelming faction choice on its release, is giving the game a bit of a bare-bones feel.

And that's a shame as it has sooooo many good things going for it:

- 90-100minute playing time
- very easy to paint and assemble (at the cost of sub-GW minis)
- the single best bluffing/planning game I've played in my life
- streamlined and intuitive rules that are clearly set out in the rulebook
- very satisfying scaling system for damage
- same principle as X-wing re: luck. It's there, and if you don't plan for it, your army will swing and miss sometimes, but be more numerous. Contrastingly, tool up right and see the damage spikes!
- great listbuilding flexibility
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
razielpawel wrote:

Agree, Reminds me I have to read N3 fluff books and paint operation "red veil", the new figures are amazing!

Runewars is not a bad game but it's damn expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Svensson
Sweden
Helsingborg
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a gaming community that is completely crazy for miniature games. Everything gets played down at the club. 40K is almighty, but Infinity, Dust Tactics, Fantasy Battle, Bushido, Frostgrave, X-Wing, Armada, and just about every other game has players. And yes, Runewars will also get played, although, there is some miniature fatigue going on. One can only own so much plastic.

The lack of diversity when it comes to factions and units in this game is severely hampering it's growth though. And FFG is releasing units painfully slow, just as they did with Armada, with 'wave 1' consisting of the same units that were already in the core box.

The game is very fun though and we have a great time playing it. It hits the table several times per week.

Time will tell whether there will be 'cooler' factions and units and if they are released sooner rather than later to attract players. Humans and Undead is kind of tired, and now we are waiting for the Elves.... all that is missing are the Orcs and the Dwarves and we have a completely vanilla fantasy game, flavor-wise, without any trace of uniqueness beyond the great game itself.

Time will tell..... time will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boombastix
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
They playin'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it fails, and it's fizzled on the 'hotness' for sure, at least the miniatures could be re-purposed for Battlelore 2nd edition expansions.

Too bad they flushed their GW relationship away over this likely failure; I desperately wanted Forbidden Stars expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boombastix wrote:
If it fails, and it's fizzled on the 'hotness' for sure, at least the miniatures could be re-purposed for Battlelore 2nd edition expansions.

Too bad they flushed their GW relationship away over this likely failure; I desperately wanted Forbidden Stars expansions.

You assume that GW broke off the relationship with FFG because FFG developed this game. It could just as easily been the other way around. Or the two could have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:
Boombastix wrote:

You assume that GW broke off the relationship with FFG because FFG developed this game. It could just as easily been the other way around. Or the two could have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Agreed, I am guessing it had more to do with GW wanting to produce more of their own board games...

Excited to teach my bro how to play Runewars tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Idaho11 wrote:
razielpawel wrote:

I like Infinity as well, but I would expect FFG to come up with a design that is more mechanically interesting than Infinity. As cool as the look, fluff, and models are in Infinity, it's still mechanically kind of bland and just about moving models around the table and rolling dice.

I feel like FFG would come up a system that would be different from Infinity in a lot of ways:
* Not as heavy on character stats and numerical modifiers. Simpler, easier.
* The use of tokens, or cards, or specialized dice or a combination of things for actual game mechanisms rather than just adding modifiers and rolling dice.
* Single-mold plastic mini's that look cool and are much easier to start playing with immediately rather than having to assemble everything. (Plus a lot of folks don't like metal mini's).

If I had my way, it would be a completely card-driven game, similar to the design behind Dungeon Command but more of a multi-use card type of thing.

Anyway, I know I'm completely off-topic at this point. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the couple of people kicking around buying into it around here have lost interest now.

They preordered the new 40K books and bought Battleforce boxes to get ready.

They said in a year or two when more stuff is available on the shelf it might be worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am on the fence about getting into Runewars for a few reasons. First off, it seems like it could get sort of pricey. Not GW pricey, but I could see it getting up there. If I want a few different options for my army (later on when more hopefully gets released), or to have a few different army factions, I could easily see the game costing $500+. Especially when each expansion is $25+. Heck, just for the core game and one of every expansion for a race you are looking at $260 + tax. Sure you can find them slightly cheaper, but that doesn't include much.

Secondly, there just isn't much out even after a few months. There are only two races released so far, and they both have the same unit structure (even though they have different stats and abilities). You have a monster type, a cavalry unit, a range unit, a melee unit, a command unit, and 2 heroes. That's it. Even the yet un-released Latari are following the same set up. If that weren't enough, the units all come in the same numbers in the expansions. 2 monsters, 4 cavalry, 8 range/melee, 2 heroes.

Besides lacking unit options, the races also seem really bland. I know they are supposed to be releasing the chaos race later this year, but even that doesn't leave a ton of options. I would love to see a dwarf and orc race added at the very least, if not a few more beyond that which are more unique.

Lastly is the need to assemble all the units. This works in Warhammer where you can assemble them in different poses, but why in Runewars where they all have the pre-determined poses? Just to make painting slightly easier? It seems like an extra step to play the game and one that adds very little benefit.

Of course there also is all the hesitation with FFG actually supporting this game long term. As is though, I don't see much reason to take the plunge. Maybe in a few months if I can find the core set dirt cheap, and we have a bunch of exciting new races and expansions announced? For now though, I think I will have to hold off...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Wiley
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Surprisingly the sculpts are quite different. They come bagged 4 guys with similar poses but the arms vary a bit. But even with that, I was able to adjust the arms somewhat on some so they don't look like any of the others on several of the models.

On my Rune Golems, I chopped the sword and hand off one arm and swapped those out so that looks different.

As for cost, depends on how deep you want to get into it. If you just concentrate on one faction, you can limit how much the cost will be. you could go in with a friend on a double core and swap armies?

In the long run, going to be much much cheaper than GW for sure though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.