Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Parsons
United Kingdom
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
During my first play through most things made perfect sense apart from the combat rules which I misread I realised. I thought that any combat would cause both sides to lose units, which we all thought didn't stack up until I re read the rules and saw that only if the defender could cross the line would attackers forces take hits (win or lose). My question is, does the defender just have to equal the hits to get there? The rules state that they would have to get the marker to a winning position but then it also states that it must cross the boundary which could imply that they have to get to +1 on the other side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Korpelainen
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The boundary is surely the red-green boundary, so 0 is enough for defender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Parsons
United Kingdom
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes but 0 is green, so to cross the red green boundary as a defender it would be +1. I think it should be 0 but just wanted to double check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Korpelainen
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't quite understand the question.

The combat starts when all movement has been completed by the attacker. If the attacker does not decide to retreat immediately at no casualty-cost, and then the defender does not decide to retreat at no casualty-cost either, we then check who is losing the battle. They get a chance to move the combat track marker to their side by doing one or multiple things. If they fail, then the other side loses no units. That's all.

If combat starts at 0, the attacker is on the losing side (having made some error or needing to rely on matter-symbols etc. which can't be added to combat strength initially) and then the attacker must act first. If he fails to swing it from 0, then only he loses units and the defender loses none. If he succeeds at swinging it to his side, then both players would lose some units (winner losing half rounded down, and loser losing half rounded up), before retreat attempts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Korpelainen
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe green always means defender and red always means attacker. If it starts in red zone, defender needs to get it to green. If it starts in green zone, attacker needs to get it to red. This both counts as crossing the boundary. I think you misunderstood this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Parsons
United Kingdom
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nkorppi wrote:
I still don't quite understand the question.

The combat starts when all movement has been completed by the attacker. If the attacker does not decide to retreat immediately at no casualty-cost, and then the defender does not decide to retreat at no casualty-cost either, we then check who is losing the battle. They get a chance to move the combat track marker to their side by doing one or multiple things. If they fail, then the other side loses no units. That's all.

If combat starts at 0, the attacker is on the losing side (having made some error or needing to rely on matter-symbols etc. which can't be added to combat strength initially) and then the attacker must act first. If he fails to swing it from 0, then only he loses units and the defender loses none. If he succeeds at swinging it to his side, then both players would lose some units (winner losing half rounded down, and loser losing half rounded up), before retreat attempts.

I was looking at this from the wrong angle, I was thinking the advantage was counted on the opposite sides of the combat track. So instead of an attacker advantage being counted on the red side it was counted on the green which is where my confusion came from. Makes sense now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.