Ethnos» Forums » General

Subject: Ethnos - 2-player issue (?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitri Smekhov

Lancaster
Pennsylvania
msg tools
I'm not sure if this has already been addressed on a different thread (I checked though).

There's something that doesn't seem to work in a 2-player game. In the 2-pl rules, it states: "you need to play a Band of allies with more cards than the TOTAL number of Control markers there".

So by the 2nd (and last) age, every kingdom needs at least 4 or 5 markers (because of the special rule above). So what often happens is this: we are both drawing a single card, until reaching the 10-card limit and then still cannot play a band because we don't have enough matching cards. And the rule states that if you have 10 cards, you cannot draw more on your turn. So one person gets stuck with nothing to do (one time, both players got stuck and the game simply stopped).

Any thoughts? Did I miss something?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mikols
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play a band of any size without placing a marker on the map.

I won a game once just focusing on playing large bands of halflings (which don't allow you to place a marker) without placing very many markers that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitri Smekhov

Lancaster
Pennsylvania
msg tools
AHH! Yes, of course!

Thanks, that was simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn VanHuss
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in age two both of you had 4-5 markers in each territory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
ThundersMaw wrote:
in age two both of you had 4-5 markers in each territory?

He's saying the two of them had 4-5 markers _total_ in each territory, like P1 may have 2 and P2 3 in a territory, for a total of five.

He's saying the rulebook has a special rule for 2 player games, where your band has to be larger than the _total_ number of markers, rather than just larger than the number of _your_ markers. I'm assuming he's right about that rule as no one challenged it--and this means I totally played it wrong when I played two player!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.