Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi guys, just reaching out to the community, I'm in the process of writing up Rex rules incorporating all/most of Dune rules (especially the faction abilities), ie to allow ppl who have Rex components to play with Dune rules.
We played it once so far, and enjoyed it MUCH more than normal Rex (which was about to go to my Sell list - not now!)

The Atreides (= universites of Jolnar in Rex) have a special character that appears after 7 of their troops have died, called the Kwisatz Haderach, who accompanies a leader in battle, adding +2 to strength, but more importantly has power of prescience/prophecy: A leader accompanied by Kwisatz Haderach cannot turn traitor.

Any suggestions for what I should name such a character for the universities of Jol-nar?
Ideally if there is any such concept in the TI3 universe, that would be great. otherwise I'm looking for a cool name.

I'll post this in TI3 forum also, since im only after a name/role from their lore.

Cheers, Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the leaders names handy, but the three representatives they have in TI3 are named:

Deluin Fillac
Ta Zern
Yaluga Huin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I don't have the leaders names handy, but the three representatives they have in TI3 are named:

Deluin Fillac
Ta Zern
Yaluga Huin

Cheers, Scott - any of them have any ability of special knowledge (eg telepathy/prescience)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. The Jol-Nar aren't really psychic. They are geniuses, though, so any modicum of prescience could be explained by computer models or some such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Not really. The Jol-Nar aren't really psychic. They are geniuses, though, so any modicum of prescience could be explained by computer models or some such.

Genius will do.
Super-intelligence allowing him to accurately take into account a host of factors a la Sherlock holmes, giving tactical knowhow to the accompanied leader's next battle (ie +2 strength)
That leader, if a traitor, is also fearful of this super-intelligence, so does not betray the Jolnar cause in this battle.

So what term or name encompasses all that?
Something along the lines of Cyborg, Android (or Mentat, if allowed the Dune terminology!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While the Hylar (the race that the Jol-Nar are technically called) are heavily tech reliant, they weren't really heavily cybernetic. However, being that the faction is called the "Universities of Jol-Nar", some terms that may apply could be:

- Prefect (maybe not the best fit as this my give off more of a "student" vibe, but it can refer to a governmental leader as well.) However, the Lazax already have a leader called a Prefect, so probably not the best fit.

- Provost (this could have a double-meaning, as the term can refer to an administrator-type person at an institute of learning as well as a short version of "provost marshal" who would be like the head of the military police force).

- Regent

Personally I might lean toward Provost, given your description. and considering in Rex all the "leaders" have pretty generic names (though faction-flavored), I think it may work better, theme-wise, than trying to come up with an actual "name". His genius-ness would be exemplified by his high standing, but also serves as a military police leader (which would keep a potential traitor in line).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Liking these ideas Scott!
"The Provost" seems pretty good to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
You may have already found it, but this may help:
Dune / Rex Rule Comparison v1

I'm in the process of modifying Ilya's Dune PnP (one of the most beautiful board games ever, IMHO) original source files so that I can play Rex (a more streamlined Dune variant) in the Dune setting with his gorgeous artwork. I'm very interested in your ruleset. I have a copy of Ilya's Dune and would love to integrate the two games more.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
drfreema wrote:
You may have already found it, but this may help:
Dune / Rex Rule Comparison v1

I'm in the process of modifying Ilya's Dune PnP (one of the most beautiful board games ever, IMHO) original source files so that I can play Rex (a more streamlined Dune variant) in the Dune setting with his gorgeous artwork. I'm very interested in your ruleset. I have a copy of Ilya's Dune and would love to integrate the two games more.

Good luck.

Thanks man, that along with Brad's other 3 files, is super useful!
Can't believe I haven't seen these before surprise

Essentially i'll be picking "best of" both games (imho) into 1 file for players who own Rex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
File is pretty much complete (nearly)

Still mulling names for this Jol-nar special leader:
- Hylar Regent
- Hylar warlord
- War-Master (i quite like that)

any other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you were going to go with Provost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I thought you were going to go with Provost?

Lol I forgot about that!
It took so long reading 4 dune + 1 rex rulebooks + FAQs on each, then comparing them, and adopting rules from them to write my rex ruleselt, that i completely forgot about Provost, and used Prefect-General instead - which i don't like now (too cumbersome).

I like Provost, fits thematically with Jol-Nar + simple + has some military connection too.

Thanks for reminding me Scott!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.