Heroes of the Great War: Limanowa 1914» Forums » General

Subject: Is it worth to back? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Khas Dylar

California
msg tools
Folks!

I came to Bgg only for this game! Me and 2 of my friends played the PnP version this weekend.. we only wanted to try it but played it thw whole day...

Still... something bothers me and dunno what. The game felt rather new in mechanics compared to my other games it was very exciting. I have Risk in many variants (GoT one), Citadels, Exploding Kittens Arkham Horror and Bang! with Wild Wild West and the Warcraft game although we never play thisone.. With Heroes even my wifey could play, she was with the blue Hungarians I was with the green Russians... why is the Russians green? Weren't their color red? ANyways....

Lovely fellows! Help me out with my question! I loved this game so far but dunno if I want it or not! We enjoyed it very much! Never spent that much time with a board game on the first try since Risk!

What do you think? Is this worth to back on Ks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qui Peccavit
Angola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All Reviewers and everyone reading the rules or playing the P-&-P say "Yes" to Limanowa
I had the same question and tried to answer it for myself by comparing HotGW point by point to a more traditional recent game.

Since I asked the question, Gladiator Games have been working hard and implemented several backer suggestions, so when you add up the points now ... Then again, you read and watched the reviews, had fun playing the game and, very important, even the misses likes it. That alone is worth backing a game ... but if you would like to dig a little deeper, there is a lot of information on the background and setting that might help you.

Everybody who has seen it likes HotGW. If we get more people to support it, this is going to be an awesome campaign, because the publisher has promised even more exciting stretch goals after £100k ... if we spread the word and make it happen, you will receive more bang for the buck and value for money with this game than with any other box I ever backed before.

Hope to read you in the backer comments on KS soon and wish you a pleasant day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
'This War Without an Enemy'
mbmbmbmbmb
As I wrote on the Hannibal forum, comparing HotGW to Hannibal is rather a bizarre thing to do. They are completely different, with their only commonality being that they are both light-to-midweight board wargames. I haven't played HotGW, so I can't really compare it to anything, but I think people would be interested to know how HotGW compares with the Command & Colors series and other light-to-midweight tactical/operational-level board wargames, especially those set in the 20th century.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Miller
United States
Logan
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is a hard question to answer...

Based on your described collection there is a lot of room for great games that sound right up your alley.

As has been stated, any game in the command and colors system will probably be a great addition to your collection. Memoir '44 seems like pretty obvious suggestion and it's a lot cheaper than HotGW:L

On the other hand, if you spent an entire day playing this game and made a bgg account just to ask this question, it sounds like this game might be a great game to back (I assume this will be your first?)

I really want to play this game as I think it looks quite good, but I am on the fence because it's a lot of money for me to spend on a game that I am not sure I can get to the table.

Only you know if the price is "worth it" for you. Due to economies of scale, if all you want it a good light war game there is no question that there are good games that are cheaper. KS games are always going to have a higher price, so the real question is: is there something about this game that is really intriguing and unique and you have the discretionary income then go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Motley Reynolds
msg tools
I do not own any war games, per se, but this game looks very well designed and accessible. I have no idea why it isn't doing better, especially given all the minis included. Maybe it's the price? It is expensive, but given the great artwork and how thought out the game seems to be, I'm seriously thinking of backing this as my first war game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qui Peccavit
Angola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Limanowa is no more expensive than other games
Heroes of the Great War is no more expensive than any other crowdfunded game, quite the contrary: taking into consideration what comes in the box, it is cheaper than many with similar production values.

The game is nicely designed and polished and for a KS financed product, the price is perfectly o.k. On the marketing side, however, several things could and should have been prepared before launching the campaign and in an industry where a hundred new titles are announced every week, zero advertising and promotion means that potential customers overlook the little treasure box among all the hype from the big boys with the big guns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.