Popular Tags: should_be_a_geeklist [+] [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any games in your collection that you enjoy playing but make you cringe when you say their name?

I was looking at the upcoming Kickstarter for Clash of Rage and it occurred to me that no matter how much I like the game, I would roll my eyes every time I mentioned the name.

It got me to thinking of games I have with a similar issue and Oh My Goods! and Mottainai immediately came to mind. Blood Rage is another one...the title constantly causes me to have to explain to people who don't know the game that it's not a D&D dice chucker.

So, what are your entries in the Good Game-Stupid Name list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Blood Rage is a pretty ridiculous name. I actually ignored the game for several months because of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jethro
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Really don't mind if you sit this one out
mb
I don't really care what the name is, I just want it to be distinct. The worst names for me are ones that are way too generic, as it can make it really hard to find any reviews/videos/forum discussion about them.

Examples of this include the Russian game The Cookie, and the better known For Sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love letter

Hard to convince a bunch of guys to play this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, Cthulhu Wars. Of course, Cthulhu is the most famous Great Old One and gives name to the Mythos, but he is just one of the factions in the game. Besides, the title sounds silly. I think "Lovecraftian Wars", for example, would have been much better and would still have got the message across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
canadiankorean wrote:
Love letter

Hard to convince a bunch of guys to play this

I hate this game lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh!, I've just remembered Orcs Orcs Orcs. That's the worst in my collection, just ridiculous. It wouldn't be that bad if at least they had used punctuation: "Orcs! Orcs! Orcs!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessarily a "stupid" name but an overly long one, I always introduce Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space as simply "Escape from the Aliens".

My wife always gives me grief when I mention The Great Dalmuti as she hears it as "The Great Damn Booty". Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
To be honest, Cthulhu Wars. Of course, Cthulhu is the most famous Great Old One and gives name to the Mythos, but he is just one of the factions in the game. Besides, the title sounds silly. I think "Lovecraftian Wars", for example, would have been much better and would still have got the message across.

Mythos Wars. Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orpheus
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Busen Memo. Maybe they could try "Mammary Memory."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:
Not necessarily a "stupid" name but an overly long one, I always introduce Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space as simply "Escape from the Aliens".

How about Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers: Shadows over Innistrad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silent Death
For The Win
Cosmic Wimpout
Cookie Fu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cobame wrote:

Might be missing the "Good Game" part of the theme...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myrmes
Super Motherload

I love both these games, but they could have been given better names!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I don't know if this is an example of a "stupid" name, or more of an "obscure hard to remember" name, but it took several days of playing before I could even correctly remember the title of Fano330-R-Morris. My wife still calls it "the strange topology game" since she doesn't remember the title.

(The title comes from the fact that it is a variation of Nine Men's Morris played on the Fano projective plane, apparently originally with Japanese coins with total value 330... I'm still unsure how the "R" fits in...)

Good strange little abstract strategy game, in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
feldfan2014 wrote:

I don't think that something having a non-English language name is can be considered synonymous with it having a silly name. Your example here translates directly as "Ruhr Navigation" and is shortly to be re-released as The Ruhr: A Story of Coal Trade. Its not like its a terrible pun using foreign language like O Zoo le Mio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero Realms. I get that they wanted to tie the game to the Realms series but it is bland and annoying to say to us French. Fantasy Realms would have been more appealing somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Race
No, it´s not about superior people, but a nice little racing car game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I don't know if this is an example of a "stupid" name, or more of an "obscure hard to remember" name, but it took several days of playing before I could even correctly remember the title of Fano330-R-Morris. My wife still calls it "the strange topology game" since she doesn't remember the title.

(The title comes from the fact that it is a variation of Nine Men's Morris played on the Fano projective plane, apparently originally with Japanese coins with total value 330... I'm still unsure how the "R" fits in...)

Good strange little abstract strategy game, in any case.

The R is for reverse, because you loose when you reach the winning condition of Nine Men Morris.

But still you´re right, this title is everything but catchy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Walker
Australia
flag msg tools
3+4MoreFun
mbmbmbmbmb
Above and Below.

Not at all differentiating, with an abysmal cadence and just sounds silly. The game itself is fine, but that name... I haven't heard a worse one since, including anywhere else on this list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Clarke
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything with a colon ':' that pretty much kills it for me.

Just look through the hotness and there are so many colons it makes me dizzy. None of the games appeal to me so I can safely ignore anything punctuated this way.

Interestingly, I have Pandemic Legacy and nowhere on the box or the rules is there a colon, yet it seems to have acquired one on the geek. But as it's appeal fizzled out on me after about 20% of the campaign I wish it had had one and I would have saved myself £50.

Garry:Clarke:Grumpy:Old:Bloke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
I couldn't tell you whether they're good games or not, but anything that tries to be clever and "meta" is stupid, like Roll Player, Worker Placement or Deck Building: The Deck Building Game.

While I'm at it, anything that describes the style of game in the title, even when it's not trying to be clever, e.g.:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&o...

I'll give a special pass to those Olde Timey games that have entire sentences describing the game for titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don`t have it, but Apocalypse Chaos sounds ridiculous. Looking forward to the Apocalypse Chaos: The Madness of Doom expansion.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.