New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that you get 30 rares in a box, and 36 uncommons in a box. The set contains 43 rares and 43 uncommons. So it seems to me that an Uncommon is almost as rare as a Rare. Is that right?

Obviously a Rare comes with a die and an Uncommon doesn't, but in terms of deckbuilding and prices, I would expect useful uncommons to be only a little less valuable than useful rares. But, we're not seeing that at all in the prices, where valuable rares are $5-$10, and valuable uncommons are $1-$2.

What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rares are often characters, come with dice. You stated half as much but understated it.

Rares COME WITH DICE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
But the actual value of the card should be proportional to its rarity and value in the game, right?

Well, I guess I'm realizing that's not actually true - a cool named character gets a significant bonus value. I just didn't realize it was so big!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
ira212 wrote:
But the actual value of the card should be proportional to its rarity and value in the game, right?

(Emphasis mine.)

Ignoring characters for a moment...

I can imagine a viable (or at the very least: somewhat viable) deck that contains only rares and commons. I can not imagine any viable deck that contains only uncommons and commons. Therefore: value in the game for rares is much bigger than value of uncommons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
The prices of everything in this game are out of whack due to FFG not being able to produce enough and people buying up and gouging the prices of boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right! I didn't believe it at first. It's a bit odd how much the average rare is more expensive than the average uncommon.

There are a few edge cases like BB-8 rare is 50 cents while the Electroshock uncommon goes for 5 bucks.

It probably has to do mostly with the perceived value that getting a fancy die to go with the card causes them to be more sought after in the secondary market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Perf wrote:
I can imagine a viable (or at the very least: somewhat viable) deck that contains only rares and commons. I can not imagine any viable deck that contains only uncommons and commons.

Excellent point! The substitute for missing a rare is a legendary (which is more expensive) or a non-die card (which isn't a good substitute at all). So rares really are noticeably more valuable in the game, and that's reflected in the prices. Fair enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.