Subject: im not sure how shield/the flit character that ignores work rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, i HAVE to equal or get higher elemental strenght to play a character,

so i cant play a lower one and boost it with shield on the element or play the flit character to ignore the opponent

if that's the case, what is the usefulness to these cards? you play a high level character and "shield" him so the opponent can't surpass your strenght? (so automatic win?) or you play the flit bird and do the reverse, boost him so he cant win the fight? (he has 0 to both)

am i missing something?

IE mutant's are auto retreat cards? do they "nullify elemental strenght" on the turn you play them (but it doesnt matter cause you're higher) AND on your on opponents, so it doesnt matter what character he plays you win anyway?

im kind of lost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstringer wrote:

That's the general rule. But a shield means "You do not have to match your opponent’s total power when announcing your power". Cards override the general rule, so if the shield matches the current element, you can play a shielded card with any amount of power, even zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
Slow Dog wrote:
Grimstringer wrote:

That's the general rule. But a shield means "You do not have to match your opponent’s total power when announcing your power". Cards override the general rule, so if the shield matches the current element, you can play a shielded card with any amount of power, even zero.

and if a shielded card is down what can your opponent play?

what about boosters with shield?

mutants win anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Your opponent must match your current power, whatever that may be. If you play a zero strength card with a shield then they would have to match zero, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ah_Pook wrote:
Your opponent must match your current power, whatever that may be. If you play a zero strength card with a shield then they would have to match zero, for example.

so shield is useful in your turn, and not in the opponent's turn?

it doesnt seem right then about boosters with shield that the first two basic decks have

if you have a low level character you cant play him and then enchant him to have a shield booster. im still missing something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstringer wrote:

if you have a low level character you cant play him and then enchant him to have a shield booster. im still missing something

Yes, you can. You seem to be missing the game's phase ordering.

In a normal turn you must play a character, then you may play a booster or support card. You then "Announce Power". It's at the "Announce Power" phase you have to equal or better your opponents power. You might have played a higher power card, or cards that lower or nullify his power, or various other things by that point.

So if your opponent has 16 power, you can play a zero power character, a shield booster, then announce zero power, because the shield means you don't have to match anything when you announce power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
finally i get it!

i started winning on the AI, thanks, now to start teaching it to friends and learning something other than hoax
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shields are, in my experience (and I have quite a lot of that) something actually quite simple that's misunderstood. It's actually instructive to put them together with modifying cards to form the proper model.

In your turn you announced your power. But in my turn that doesn't itself matter. I can now play cards. When I've finished we get to the power phase. Then, normally, we compare powers, mine needs to be greater than or equal to yours (in the selected element). We calculate both powers again. Now typically yours is unchanged, so your last announcement gives us the answer. But your old power doesn't directly matter, I can play less than it and still be OK, as long as I reduced yours. But powers only actually matter then (or in cases like playing caterpillar cards).

Shields are the same. Except that bit about comparing powers can be ignored. That's it, no more and no less. Without a shield, you need to make sure the comparison will work. (Otherwise there's all that messy stuff about rolling back. But think of that as correcting an error generally.) With a shield (in the right element) there just is no comparison (will always work). You still announce your power, but it's just a courtesy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.