Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just returned to Brooklyn, NY after two memorable vacation weeks in Japan (my only previous trip to Asia, in the mid 1980s, was to mainland China for three weeks), to find things humming along with new TKR videos, and the new Second Edition now closing preorders. Yay!

Discovering a game that was terrific not long ago and which fueled my Three Kingdoms fanboy energy was a great moment for me, made even better by having a fellow bgg poster sell me a First Edition copy! So I was posting here a lot, hoping to help raise interest in similarly inclined folks. Now I'm hoping many new players will be joining me/us in the TKR playing community, having only played the game once myself so far. One thing that's important to tell your pals is that while its technically a 'bidding' rather than a 'combat' game, the bidding in fact works psychologically if not mechanically like combat, and its a very confrontational design on a strategical plane! This is noted in one of the new videos where the female player mentions that now that she's more comfortable with confrontation in the game, she's enjoying it a lot more.

My experience has been that I was lucky to get two open minded pals to try it out, since there is some resistance here to what initially looks like a complex game (its actually not) and one which requires three players only. So I've been sort of falling in between the First and Second Edition generations, learning from the posts of veteran First Edition players and the friendly designers themselves, and looking forward to the crowd of Second Gen-ers soon to appear who, like me, are just starting out on their TKR journey! After a wonderful positive first experience by three of us, other players here now seem more willing to give TKR a shot, and I'm hoping to get it to the table repeatedly in the future, although it does take some planning to make a three player session come together.

Now that the game will be relaunched in the USA with retail availability soon, I'm hoping for more posts, and especially more playing analysis, which this game certainly deserves. WELCOME FUTURE "SECOND EDITION/GENERATION" PLAYERS! Send us your thoughts and adventures with TKR.

And if you are in the NYC area, whether new players or old, PM me and we'll talk about getting together for a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.