Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Weaver
United States
Denver
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokohama looks like a game in my wheelhouse, but I'm worried since it is designed by the guy who made Trains. I find Trains to be one of the worst games I've played. Anyone have any insight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to encourage your comparison of the two games because they are completely different, but not knowing a thing about what made you dislike Trains makes this a bit hard to tell you if you'd like it. But if I remember correctly, Trains was a deck building/route building game? Well,t his has route building, but that may be where any similarities end.

Here is my "Knee Jerk" reaction after one play https://wdyptw.wordpress.com/2017/04/27/yokohama-a-kneejerkf...

chadw09 wrote:
Yokohama looks like a game in my wheelhouse, but I'm worried since it is designed by the guy who made Trains. I find Trains to be one of the worst games I've played. Anyone have any insight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sorich
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to your ratings, you seem to prefer Euros. I have similar tastes as well, and found Yokohama to be a great addition to my collection. If you like the Istanbul-ish mechanism, you very well might like this one as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trains felt very much like a designer who enjoyed Dominion and went off to do something different with its core mechanic. For my tastes, I think Trains is an exceptionally strong deck-builder even though designer Hisashi Hayashi clearly wears his influences on his sleeve. But he also knows how to add something new to mix without it feeling muddy or overly derivative. Is the name 'Hayashi' one that we will one day camp with other names like Knizia, Teuber, Rosenberg, and Feld? It seems unlikely at this point. So far, Hisashi's designs have never felt truly innovative, which is what I think a designer needs to join that creme of names.

Yokohama follows in a similar step to Trains in that Istanbul is clearly the influence (as Dominion was to Trains). If you were rather thrown off by Trains because it felt too derivative (I didn't), then you might not enjoy Yokohama because its core mechanisms have been seen before and you might feel you have games of this ilk already. I think Yokohama does a much better job separating itself from its obvious influences than Trains did and Hisashi has done a commendable job putting it all together and concentrating the game so that there is balance in it while while players can separately explore different VP paths. I don't know if in time if we're going to be saying, "that game is sooo Hisashi" as much as we might say that about a new Feld or Knizia game. But at the end of the day if you liked Istanbul, economic Euros, and quality components, then you might find a winner in Yokohama. It definitely comes off as a work of professionals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you have a suspicion that you won't like Yokohama based on how you feel about another game by the same designer, and you're trying to see if that suspicion is warranted based on the subjective opinions of other people who don't necessarily understand why you didn't like Trains, and could have completely different ideas than you about what makes games fun?

Good designers are capable of producing a wild variety of designs; you wouldn't want to make a decision on buying Mage Knight Board Game based on how much you enjoy Codenames.

There are a number of well done playthrough and session videos posted here. I suggest you forget about whatever else HH has designed and just watch a few of those Yokohama videos so you understand the rules and the "feel" of playing the game, and see if it appeals to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Krsnaji&numitems=5&header=1&text=title&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=left&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
mbmbmbmbmb
While you temporarily may place your worker bees to both increase your effective use of a particular site and to transport your (yakuza) boss. The game really is not a route builder nor a deck builder. Like most categorical statements regarding attributes it would be meaningless even it did share those mechanics as it would not capture the actual dynamics of the games play.
It is a fun game and that is what matters to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadw09 wrote:

I don't know what it is you didn't like about Trains, but Yokohama feels nothing like trains to me. I doubt that a dislike for Trains would be basis for ether liking or disliking Yokohama.

It's always best to try a game before running out and buying it -- perhaps there's a copy in your area you can try at a game night?

And as someone else mentioned, there are videos online that might help you get an idea, including a complete 3-player runthrough by Jon Gets Games where he tries 3 different strategies to show you how they may play out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby-dooby Banooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy. (Thumb Wars)
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
So you have a suspicion that you won't like Yokohama based on how you feel about another game by the same designer, and you're trying to see if that suspicion is warranted based on the subjective opinions of other people who don't necessarily understand why you didn't like Trains, and could have completely different ideas than you about what makes games fun?

Good designers are capable of producing a wild variety of designs; you wouldn't want to make a decision on buying Mage Knight Board Game based on how much you enjoy Codenames.

There are a number of well done playthrough and session videos posted here. I suggest you forget about whatever else HH has designed and just watch a few of those Yokohama videos so you understand the rules and the "feel" of playing the game, and see if it appeals to you.

What he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I hate Trains. Am I going to like Yokohama?
Well, I don't like Trains, either (I wouldn't call it one of the worst I've played, I was just decidedly meh about it), but I like Yokohama quite a lot.

It is superficially similar to Istanbul, which I do actively hate. The similarity is only skin deep, however so, IM(NS)HO, any opinion you may have of that one isn't a very good gauge for how well you'll like Yokohama, either. It's a solid Euro with multiple paths to victory that are actually viable.

I seem to recall the Man vs. Meeple video being very helpful in my decision to back it on KS. I commend it to your attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.