Hide
14 Posts

1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War» Forums » Strategy

Subject: British Advantage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul K
msg tools

Five games in and the British have dominated every time.

French muster sites are located so far north that the Ft Duquesne region is very difficult to reinforce and FC flee results are as good as a kill since reinforcements from Montreal are unlikely to arrive. Seems wise to place some Regulars there in the initial reinforcement setup and turtle.

BR card William Johnson seems imbalanced with no matching cards in the French deck. In one game I had built powerful French army with NA allies that captured Oneida Carry AND on a later turn moved the FC muster point with the Vaudriel Card only to see all my NA allies cross the battle lines to join an inferior British force! The French position was decimated and never recovered. Nice thematic twist, but a game changer with a single overpowered event card in what seemed like a strong French strategy.

Raiding the Coastline is fun but seems to consume valuable FR movement cards. Perhaps a push in Nova Scotia is the way to go?

Any suggestions for a mores successful French strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that there are alternative setup rules that allow the players to place forts on any fort site where they have units and muster markers on any town where they have units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
I think the game is balanced. You may need to adjust your strategy if you are playing the French. Don't build up large NA groups if the "switch sides " card hasn't been played. Concentrate your forces away from muster groups and/or long range attack from muster groups so that you don't run out of movement cards. Try to break through and exploit weaker defenses instead of taking out heavily fortified positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K
msg tools
Thanks for the pointers Adam. I think that I'm generally applying the 1812 strategy of manoeuvre and gradual build up which seems to work well when playing as the British. This game seems more fluid and asymmetrical like 1775 especially when playing as the French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
pkeene1 wrote:
Thanks for the pointers Adam. I think that I'm generally applying the 1812 strategy of manoeuvre and gradual build up which seems to work well when playing as the British. This game seems more fluid and asymmetrical like 1775 especially when playing as the French.

You really have to be familiar with the decks, or have one person on each team that knows the decks, to have a chance with '54. '75 has enough luck that a less knowledgeable player can still hang in there. '54 does seem more strategic and less forgiving to me than '75.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W
United Kingdom
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mb
Played it twice and this is my impression too. It's a fun game but the event cards and map layout definitely seem to favour the British.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Farrell
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I own quite a few French and Indian war games and they all favour the British. I think it would have been a tough war for the French to win historically. The best French strategy I have found (in all the F+I games I own) is to harass the British and play for an early finish. From what I have read that was probably the best historical French strategy. I do think this is a very good game and is probably the best in the series so far.

Happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Key
United States
New York
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
How does this game compare to Wilderness War by GMT covering the same game. WW is considered a classic. Does 1754 do the theme and historicity better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRyan wrote:
How does this game compare to Wilderness War by GMT covering the same game. WW is considered a classic. Does 1754 do the theme and historicity better?

Not even close. Wilderness War is a much more historically sound look at the war, and a good game too, but takes at least twice as long to play as 1754 and has a lot more rules. 1754 is a historically themed strategy game. Nothing against 1754, I own it and I like it. But it's really in a different category of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K
msg tools
Hi Paul,

Good advice. Ready to give the French another go with a different strategy. I've found that the French can pick up VPs in Nova Scotia and make trouble for the British with a raid down the coast. Perhaps these actions will be enough to relieve the British pressure in the Interior?

Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Flink
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try to grab Oneida Carry early. The french have a hard time reinforcing the northwest, you need to level this disadvantage. Oneida Carry is also a native spawn area. Focus on green areas. These areas make a 2 point difference when captured. The harbor south of Saint Jean is a good strategic point to capture to slow down british reinforcements to the eastern green areas.

Always try to have mixed armies in all areas, not only because of dice thrown but these armies can then be moved in both the french and canadian phase increasing options and range. Remember not every move has to end in combat, sometimes its just better to consolidate and set up your teammate for attacks. Do not overextend.

Dont lose Lewisburg, but dont reinforce it too much. These units will rarely move is my experience but can be used for an endgame push into the Halifax peninsula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Sciacca
United States
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FWIW, I've played twice. Both games ended early and the French absolutely dominated. IIRC, they start off with more armies (approx 8, don't have the game in front of me, but I think that's about right) and if they get a few breaks, e.g., good cards and the Native reinforcements fall in their favor, the Brits can really get screwed. That's exactly what happneded in both games I played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
In our first game the British won by one point. In our next three games the French completely dominated. So up to now the french seem to have the advantage. The early advantage that the french have getting the native tribes seem to make the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Played a few more times. The game seems balanced.

The British and French have virtually identical cards. But the British card that switches Indians from the French side to the British side is much stronger than the french card that converts 2 yellow cubes to 2 purple cubes. This is balanced by the French having control of more Indians at the start of the game.

So the French start the game in the lead, but the British will catch up later. A lot depends on when the various cards come out. A lot depends on rolling well at critical times. And a lot depends on good strategy. So there is a lot of luck, but there is a lot of strategy also.

I think that the French have to be aggressive at the start of the game. They have to take a lead while they have an advantage with the Indians. Later the British will catch up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.