United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo, first post on the forums for this game!

Now that that's out of the way... I doubt these will ever be answered since this game is so unknown

Playing my first game now, solo (just made it to the APR I turn in the "Standard Scenario" and I'm about to have my first combat), and I have just a few questions about what's what...

1.) When determining an encounter's reactions to you (D5.0), the rules state to

D5.2 wrote:
[...]Compare the opposing ship's nationality to that of the player.

but the only reference to a Player's nationality I can find in the rules is for the Standard Scenario, section J9.2. What about the other scenarios -- do I assume that my nationality is whichever National Attitude marker starts highest? Is it then locked for the entire game? I mean, the timespan of these scenarios is pretty short, so I suppose it wouldn't make sense to be swapping which flag you're sailing under too frequently.

2.) Additionally, the Standard Scenario J9.0 says

J9.2 wrote:
[...]At the start of the scenario, roll a d10 and place the European status markers in the corresponding box.

So, does that mean all of them in the same box? That's how I set up initially (I rolled an 8, quite a peaceful time apparently), but now that I'm a few turns in, it seems like the political atmosphere would be more interesting if I had rolled for each one separately. Just curious what the intent was here.

3.) Port phase... what consists of an action? The rules list the following as actions:

- Recruiting or Dismissing Crew Units
- Buying Goods
- Selling Goods
- Repairing Ships
- Establishing or Using a Depot
- Purchasing Letters of Marque
- Start/End a Voyage

It also states that the player cannot choose the same activity twice in one turn. So, I guess what I'm getting at is:

3a.) Is buying goods a separate action from selling, such that doing both eats up the whole turn? So far, I've been playing that they're separate actions.
3b.) Can I buy or goods and ships using the same action? (Buying/selling ships is notably absent from the list.)
3c.) Similarly, depending on the answer to 3a and 3b... could I buy goods and sell a ship as the same action, or the other way around?

4.) Also Port phase. Port fees -- do I have to pay those every turn I'm docked, or only once on entrance? So far, I've been playing those as an entrance fee, not as a rental fee.

Thanks in advance, whoever finds and reads this post...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally, the rules for ship combat seem wonky. If the enemy group chooses to flee, and I cannonade, I'm supposed to roll with a modifier from the pursuit chart. But what happens if I, the pursuer, have one ship versus their two? Do I pick a ship to pursue and use that column on the chart, assuming the other gets away, or do I pick the best modifier assuming I'd pursue the slower one, and by doing so head them off? Or something completely different?

Also, cannonades. A ship with multiple viable targets (i.e. two ships opposing it) can only fire at one during a combat round, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing a battle last night, it seems the errata that

Corregenda 7 July 1993 wrote:
E2.2 Change: The entire combat group chooses an action, not each ship individually.

causes more problems than it fixes -- and the only thing I see it 'fixing' is that each player is only provided a single set of combat action chits. I'm going to ignore this one, I think, unless someone explains how this 'fix' works with all the existing rules...

Instead, I'm going to play that each ship in a combat group individually chooses an action *and* a target, and that all of these matchups are determined before resolving any of them. There are only two wrinkles I see with the 'uncorrected' rules:
- In the chance that two ships are pursuing a single target, the controlling player uses the best modifier on the Pursuit Modifier Chart, with that result holding for both pursuing ships. The inverse situation shouldn't happen if ignoring the whole-group-choosing-together errata.
- In the solitaire rules (H4.0) there is no provision for choosing the target of a non-player ship's fight action should a single ship be facing multiple targets in their group. Let's say that their target randomly determined among their choices in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite an echo chamber in here...

Additional questions, with respect to bounties:

- Bounties are applied if a nation becomes hostile to a player, increased if the player accrues infamy points due to attacking the nation in question, and the rules state (G10.1) that the base bounty is removed if that hostility wanes. Does this also remove the additional bounty placed on the head of a player for infamy points?

- G10.2 states that bounties are paid to a player who causes the wanted player to lose two or more ships. Is this in total, or per encounter? When the full bounty is paid, does it go away? Or does it drop back down to the base 500?

I think I'll play that a bounty payout resets the additional bounties placed on a player's head from infamy points, but that unless the nations themselves are at attitude 3 or higher, the base 500 gold bounty remains.

Additionally, bounties seem entirely pointless in solo play. Am I missing something? Perhaps a subtle modification to the encounter charts (D1.1) should be done -- something small like a -1 modifier to your roll for every 100G bounty on your head beyond the first 400G (because the base bounty level is 500G, so just a base bounty would be -1)? That might be a bit heavy handed though, since the majority of encounters are neutral merchant ships. How would being a wanted man make you accidentally bump into more merchants?

Hmm... maybe the above modifier, but the encounter is ignored if it comes up merchant if you wouldn't have had any encounter without the modifier. Like if you were in Spanish Waters and trying to avoid encounters, with a 700G bounty on your head. You roll a 5. 5 - 3 (that's = 2, oops encounter. Then you roll for the type and find that it's a Merchant fleet. The encounter would then be ignored because you wouldn't have bumped into them at all if it weren't for your bounty. If you instead roll and find that it's a Pirate-Hunter or Naval encounter, then it still happens because hey, you're a valid, valuable target.

I'd suggest that a Pirate-Hunter or Naval fleet that took you out would also gladly accept the bounty, and affect it as above.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.