Popular Tags: [View All]
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently, I decided to try something that I had been avoiding for a long time. Playing some of my multi-player games that I have no one to play as solo games where I control multiple players. I recently tackled 1846:The Race for the Midwest with three fictional players, Alice, Betty, and Celeste. I actually enjoyed it, so I decided to bring them back to tackle Seafall and the Prologue!

I am so fascinated by Legacy games. I love the idea. I knew I had to have Seafall, but it has been sitting here in my house for a LONG time now. My choices were either play multi-player solitaire, hope that miraculously a gaming group would show up AND someone would be interested in SeaFall AND be regular enough AND stick with the whole thing, or sell it (or donate it somewhere, I guess). The only thing holding me up from playing multi-player solitaire is my dread of playing solo games wearing the multi-player hats and performing the Legacy aspects. Because once I had committed to it, all the other options were going to be off the table for good. As long as it was unplayed, I still had all the options, including selling or giving away. But forcing myself to tackle 1846 solo and then actually liking it, gave me courage to finally admit I wasn't going to find anyone to play it with and I wasn't going to sell or give it away and just get on with playing it by myself! Writing on things in permanent marker and ripping up cards, the whole nine yards!

In 1846, I decided to use the semi-random distribution of private companies to players (unlike regular 18xx openings which involve auctions I don't want to solo play) to guide the strategies of the three players I was playing by myself. In Seafall, there are five Provinces you can choose from at the start and four Guilds that drive actions each turn. Four of the five Provinces, from reading the text on the back seem to imply they line up with the four Guilds. One tends to Explore (Explorer's Guild), one values Gold (Merchant Guild), one wants to take things by force (Soldier's Guild), one wants to build things (Builder's Guild). I couldn't tell what the fifth Province was implying. (Jack of All Trades maybe?)

I didn't want to try to run four Provinces, so Celeste, the one who owned three railroads in 1846 to the one railroad each of the other two, decided to take the Merchant themed province but also will be pursuing Buildings as well. Betty, who was upset at coming in last in 1846 decided to take the Province aligned with the Soldier's Guild. And Alice, winner of 1846, and the one who always gets to go first (must be her name!), ended up with Explorers themed Province.

Alice got the Highest ranking title, and chose her leader Prince Wolsford of Province Avalon. Betty had Duke Shenzue of Province Yodatai. Celeste had Count Aznan of Province Senpet.

This was our set-up for the Prologue game:

I've watched a few YouTube play-throughs of the Seafall Prologue and there were/are a lot of complaints about it being boring. One YouTube channel even yanked their Prologue video play through because they were disappointed in how boring it was. But I guess when you play it by yourself and there's no downtime between turns, it's not so bad. Or maybe it's just not as bad as people say, period.

And my play of the Prologue, assuming I was playing it right and I'm pretty sure I was, was over pretty quickly. Basically, for every three points of Glory earned by ANY player, you read and rip up one of the Milestones and name one of the four islands available at the beginning.

On her first turn, in the first round, Alice explored for one Glory, got an extra glory from an Adviser for not taking any damage, and then got a third Glory
Spoiler (click to reveal)
when she got to take a Ship Upgrade from her exploring for only 3 Gold

Boom! During the first round, one island was already named.

Betty had similar success. In her first round, got two Glory for Raiding an island site (one from the Raid, one from an Adviser) and in her second round, Raided another site for her 3 Glory. Another island named and the Prologue was already half over.

Round 2 for Alice was like her first round, Explore for one Glory and another Glory from a second Adviser, she had 5 Glory after just 2 rounds. Meanwhile, poor Celeste was having trouble trying to get Glory from her budding economic engine. She bought a Treasure on Round 3 for her first Glory, but Alice got her 6th Glory point with an Exploration this same round and three of the four islands were named by the end of the third round.

The whole Prologue came to an end on the first turn of Round 4 (just 10 total player turns) when Celeste used her wealth and an Adviser to buy both an upgrade and a structure to get her to 3 glory finally. That gave her 3 Glory to Betty's 5 and Alice's 7.

That game seemed like it was over before it really began, especially for Celeste. I think it was wise steering her towards both Building and Trading. She is going to need both, it seems, to keep up with Alice and Betty. Betty was close behind Alice, but she was running out of places quickly where she could Raid without facing really bad odds. Exploration seemed like the winning strategy in this very short game, it's easiest to get going quickly. We'll see how it plays out over the long run when you are playing to a larger Glory total rather than just multiples of 3.

One other spoiler thing:
The Prologue ends with your Leaders all getting lost and/or dying and you ripping up their cards. (Which I did. Rip. Rip. Rip. No selling it now!) I DID know that was coming from watching a play-through of the Prologue to the end, so the players made sure it was all the guys who got sent to their watery fates.

OK, for me, like 1846, it was a more enjoyable experience than I expected to have and it will be interesting to see how/if that changes when I get into the first game for real and Provinces are allowed to start Raiding each other. I think that will be the game that determines how far I go with this.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nicholas nicholas
msg tools
Re: Yes, I did it anyway - Seafall Prologue Solo (Minimal tagged Spoilers)
I'm very interested in seeing how box five goes for a solo playthrough.

I know competitive groups that blended into semi-co-op (but not really) to make objectives happen, seems like that would be hard to avoid playing solo.

I'll be reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
As a note, one round in the game isn't a year. Six rounds (seven including Winter phase) is a year. One round you could perhaps call a "season"? I'd just call it a round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
As a note, one round in the game isn't a year. Six rounds (seven including Winter phase) is a year. One round you could perhaps call a "season"? I'd just call it a round.

Yes, thanks. I've updated the post. I realized after I sent it in that I had the terminology wrong but couldn't change it until it was approved today.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squirrelnest wrote:

I'll be reading!

Yeah, I realize some new thing may come along at some point that I won't know how to handle, like maybe an auction mechanic or something (don't tell me if there is!), but we'll see how it goes until it doesn't.

Thanks for reading!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocSavage2001 wrote:
squirrelnest wrote:

I'll be reading!

Yeah, I realize some new thing may come along at some point that I won't know how to handle, like maybe an auction mechanic or something (don't tell me if there is!), but we'll see how it goes until it doesn't.

Thanks for reading!

Dave

I have a similar situation as you and I will probably have to play Seafall solo or not at all. A while back I asked for advice on whether or not this game could be played solo. Someone responded (I apologize that I forget who) and suggested that each "player" in your solo game should have a distinct personality and that you need to try as best as you can to not deviate from that personality. I've never played the game but it seems this plan could make sense. One player could try to be a pacifist, one a bloodthirsty raider, one an explorer, one a merchant ... you get the idea.

Food for thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albcann wrote:

I have a similar situation as you and I will probably have to play Seafall solo or not at all. A while back I asked for advice on whether or not this game could be played solo. Someone responded (I apologize that I forget who) and suggested that each "player" in your solo game should have a distinct personality and that you need to try as best as you can to not deviate from that personality. I've never played the game but it seems this plan could make sense. One player could try to be a pacifist, one a bloodthirsty raider, one an explorer, one a merchant ... you get the idea.

That's pretty much how I plan to do it. Bloodthirsty Betty, Alice Explorer, Celeste Economic and deviate only when it makes real sense.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A funny thing happened on the way to Alice, Betty and Celeste playing Dead of Winter (to continue my theme this month of playing multi-player games solo) OR giving my new Merchant of Venus (Classic Game mode) Automata its first outing...

I found that I was dying to play Game 1 of Seafall even more. The first game you play after the Prologue. I definitely saw some interest from people after the first Prologue post about could this game really be played solitaire or was it worthwhile to play solitaire. And to be honest, I was one of those people as well.

I've seen people comment the Prologue is dull and a waste of time since nothing is permanent after that game except whatever you discover on the islands, site-wise. But I totally GET what the Prologue is for after playing both that and now, Game 1. The Prologue is intended to introduce you to the game mechanics without worry that you are going to mess up some rules and permanently change your game only to find out you played something wrong. It's not like Pandemic: Legacy or Risk: Legacy where you already probably know how to play Pandemic or Risk before the game starts changing the things you are used to. Here, you're not used to anything, so changing it right from the beginning would be kind of overwhelming and intimidating. The Prologue does a nice job of easing you in before things get REAL.

But I wanted to get to that REAL part now. My appetite was whetted. Look, I'm all in!

The other reason I wanted to get Seafall back on my table is..., well, just look at this:

One of my all-time favorite games growing up was Parker Bros. Trade Winds:

It had little plastic ships, and islands you could visit. It had exploration, combat and trading. (And a cool Treasure Island in the middle with all kinds of little treasures!) That Prologue of Seafall had me having Trade Winds flashbacks for sure.

So, how DID Game 1 of Seafall go? Where things got real? I will try to limit my comments to things that are open information when you open the box (like the first few Milestones, the opening deck of Advisors and Events. I will try to spoiler anything you wouldn't see opening the box and poking around.

The decision space for the players in Game 1 when the game is going to go longer, and things are going to become permanent changes is very different than the Prologue. In the Prologue, you can throw your Fortune and Reputation around a lot more freely because the game isn't going to last that long and you can't keep any of your Advisors. Emnity from Raiding doesn't stick around in the Prologue but in Game 1, it starts to matter where you build up those tokens now.

The Game 1 strategies of the players continued here. Alice of Province Avalon as the Explorer, Betty of Province Yodatai as the Soldier, and Celeste of Province Senpet as the Merchant/Builder. Although the game was longer, it still seems like Celeste didn't really have time to get her strategies going fast enough to keep up with Alice exploring and Betty raiding. Though Celeste WAS the first player to claim a Milestone that briefly gave her the lead. She also got a bit of a reward in addition to the Glory she claimed for it.
If you want to call introducing a Pirate King event into the Event deck a "reward". It knocked her off her strategy for a few turns. By the time the event passed, the game had ended.

Alice claimed the second milestone which ended the game with her winning again, like she did in the Prologue. She also affected the game in a way I don't even know yet.

The Milestone introduced a new Event into the Event deck, but I shuffled it in sight unseen (didn't look at it first) and the game ended, so it never came up.

In the end, the scores ended up reflecting the order and ranking of the players that has been present from the beginning. They started the Prologue in Alice, Betty, Celeste order. They ended the Prologue and started Game 1 in that order. And they finished Game 1 in that same order:

I am slightly concerned about that, BUT... Alice could only keep the crappiest Advisor she had, while the other two kept good ones. AND Betty built up Emnity on the four islands we know that is going to make Glory a bit harder for her next time. Likewise, Alice is running out of sites she can explore without much difficulty so she should slow down as well. Whereas, none of that really affects Celeste yet. Alice's exploring actually gives her more places to trade going forward, so Game 2 should be interesting as well.

As far as playing all three players so far, it still hasn't been hard for me to do yet. Yes, starting in Game 1, players could Raid other player's Provinces, but I just never saw a time or opportunity where I thought that made sense for Betty to Raid a fellow player so far. That might change as she builds up more emnity in the islands. The only time I even came close to possible player interaction (sort of) was when Betty could have Raided a Wood site (with a Wood cube) to prevent Celeste from getting it (because Celeste had the Advisor in the Forum who gives 12 trade-in value for Wood instead of 8). But there were also two other easier sites for Betty to Raid that made more sense for HER, so Raiding just to screw Celeste didn't make sense there either.

So.... After Game 1, still something I want to keep playing (though DOW and MOV ARE really next!), I still haven't even found anything out in the open ocean area yet (And when I do, don't know where the Sideboard is going to go!). I'm really glad I decided to finally do this. I am enjoying it.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this. I will be following. Now that the price is down to $40, it's very tempting to buy it and try it solo. But since I'm 20 plays into Gloomhaven with things starting to really get good, I think I'll wait and watch how it goes for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The price is down to $40? Where?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
The price is down to $40? Where?

You can find it as low as $38 on Amazon with free shipping. And last night, I saw a copy on the shelf at my local Booksamillion for $50.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, yeah. I'm tempted to buy a second copy at only $41 on Amazon, even though I'm not sure what I'd even do with a second copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Dang, yeah. I'm tempted to buy a second copy at only $41 on Amazon, even though I'm not sure what I'd even do with a second copy?

If you click on "New (30) from $37.99 & FREE shipping." on the product page, you'll see an option to buy a slightly lower price. The $41 price has the Prime option attached, though.

...just don't buy the last copy before I place my order. Which will be when I think my wife has forgotten the last game I bought last week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmmayo wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

If you click on "New (30) from $37.99 & FREE shipping." on the product page, you'll see an option to buy a slightly lower price. The $41 price has the Prime option attached, though.

...just don't buy the last copy before I place my order. Which will be when I think my wife has forgotten the last game I bought last week.

You should consider Kickstarter. That way, any time a game shows up on your doorstep, you can shrug and say "Oh, I ordered this a year or so ago -- remember, we talked about it back when the campaign was up. It's a coincidence that that other game arrived just last week..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping for more updates soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The experiment continues! Of all the multi-player games I played solo last month for my mini-theme, this is the one I want to keep going with on a regular basis. (1846: Race for the Midwest close behind, but not sure if it will hit the tabletop this crowded month! )

(NOTE: All un-spoilered discussion will only include only those things you can see when you open the box; cards, counters, stickers etc - but no entries from the Captain's Booke.)

RECAP: Three players with three separate Seafall strategies: Alice (the Explorer), Betty (the Warrior), and Celeste (the Merchant/Builder).

Alice won the Prologue and Game 1, Betty came in second both times. It has been really hard to get Celeste's Merchant/Builder plan to come together, and at first in Game 2, it seemed like more of the same for her. The problem (as I see it so far) is that the Merchant/Builder thing needs time to develop and the Prologue is really short and Game 1 was the same because there was a lot still left to Explore and Raid. I was hoping as the game gets longer and there were things running out to explore and raid (until we unlock the deep ocean area), Celeste could get back in the game.

Alice and Celeste took two of the four opening Milestones in Game 1, both with minor unlocks. The big Unlock sitting out there for Game 2 was going to be Betty's nut to crack, since it involved Raiding a Site with defense 6 without sinking and she was the only one so far, built to do such a thing. Celeste was going to go for the other unlock (own Treasures totaling 3+ Glory) most likely. Trouble was Alice was getting almost as much Gold as Celeste through exploring (and doing it quicker as well). Betty's first attempt at the Raiding Milestone sunk her ship, but she managed it on the second attempt during the first Year, so at the end of the game, we will unlock our first chest!

With the territories Raided and the Milestone, here we are at the end of Year One in this game (unlocked but unopened Chest in the middle):

Despite (very) briefly holding the lead, Celeste finds her position at the end of Year One, as usual, far behind her Raiding and Exploring competitors. With Betty taking the Milestone and her Raids, she ends Year One with just 3 Glory shy of winning. Alice, with successful exploring, is right behind. Betty's victory will be on hold in Year Two though until she can get her ships repaired.

The second year didn't last very long, as soon as Betty repaired her ships, she went on one final tide-turning (pun intended) Raid that pushed her way over the top for the win. But it lasted long enough for Celeste to get one that one big haul, where she bought a 2-Glory Treasure followed by a Structure and an Upgrade on the same turn to take her past Alice for her first second place finish in three games.

Meanwhile, Alice was finally paying the price for being the leader for the first two games.
She had a bad Event happen to her even though she was in a tie with Celeste because she was the leader.
She got an Upgrade through exploration only to find players who had gone before her had bought them all already. But the worst was when Betty made the first player on player Raid to end the game.

Not only did Betty overcome the Garrison, the Gun Tower and 5 Dangerous Site defense in Alice's Province without sinking, she also rolled five successes. That allowed her to a) avoid taking Damage, b) get extra Glory because of her Advisor that turn for not taking damage and c) she was able to Plunder Alice's Treasure Room and take Alice's single Treasure. That was a swing of 2 Glory, -1 to Alice for losing the Treasure and +1 to Betty. That also kicked Alice into third place and the difference was enough to give Betty the overall Campaign lead after two games:

(I'm going to have to crop the Milestones out of the picture next game since we'll be in - literally - uncharted waters after this game.)

NOW FOR WHAT YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW: I know that there are some people reading this series of posts for the same reasons I would be reading them if someone else was writing them instead of me.

How is it playing Seafall solo? Is it fun? Is it doable? How are you handling player interactions? What challenges have you faced and how are you dealing with them?

I am now three sessions in (Prologue plus first two games). I plan to continue, especially since I just unlocked my first chest. Here are my thoughts on various things:

Player Count for Solo: One thing to keep in mind about this game is that it doesn't really scale at all for player count. The islands stay the same size with the same number of resources no matter the player count. Likewise, the number of Milestones is the same regardless of player count. I'm sure there's more.

With that in mind, I think the player count of three that I chose would probably be the sweet spot for playing Seafall solo. Each with the roles/goals I've given Alice, Betty and Celeste. The game has no real built-in opponent to play a single Province. With just two Provinces, there would be too much of everything available. Four might work, splitting the Merchant/Builder roles, but I think everything above a player count of three puts more of a player interaction burden on the solo player because then the number of things available shrinks and causes more player competition. Which brings up:

Player Interaction for Solo: So far, so good for me. The independent goals have kept most player interaction to be indirect so far (as in snapping up a resource before someone else can get it). But as Alice has run out of places to explore and Betty has run out of places to Raid, there is more looking at each other.

The situations so far, I have just played organically. A couple of examples:

a) Alice explores and finds a site with two Wood. Celeste sees the Advisor that gives big discount on Wood trade-ins (named Richard the Carpenter, get it? ) and buys him both for her own purpose and to keep Alice from using him. In turn, Alice uses one of her Woods to buy the only 10 Gold Wood Treasure using the trade-in. That keeps Celeste from quite as easily reaching her Treasures equaling 3+ Glory Milestone she was going for.

b) Betty decides to attack Alice (instead of Celeste or a island site) to go for the win. Both Betty's ships were in Province getting repaired. Alice's ships were out exploring. Alice had won the first two games and was Campaign Glory leader after Game 1. All the close islands to Betty's province were already stacked with Emnity (permanent and in game), Celeste's Province had two Gun Towers and a Garrison of 2 to Alice's one Gun Tower and Garrison of 1. Attacking Alice and getting 3 or more successes not only would give Betty the win but also guarantee Betty could knock Alice's Glory total back down in the process. (By taking out the Gun Tower for -1 Glory with 3 successes or as it happened, stealing the Treasure with 5 successes for -1 to Alice, +1 to Betty.) It just made total sense to do. (Though Betty will now find it much harder to Raid Alice's Province in the future with all the Permanent Emnity from this Attack. - Betty used all her game end Fortune/Reputation successes to take back 3 of the 5 Emnity tokens that would have been given.)

The only real snag I hit in regards to this so far through 3 sessions was with the Observatory structure that lets you look at the top unrevealed card of any deck at any time. Celeste bought it and if she had used it to "look ahead" at the Event deck to set up her next turn, I decided that would be REALLY hard for me to ignore for Betty and Alice's turns. So I ruled it would only be used to scry the damage deck (not that Celeste has ever taken a point of Damage so far...)

Fun Factor for Solo: I find myself still excited to play this solo after three goes, unlocking the new Chest was great fun and just ramps up my interest for Game 3 and to keep going with this experiment. Looking over the new content for Game 3, I don't see any immediate show stoppers for solo play
though there is a new method of player interaction added

Whether YOU would find it fun as well I think would depend on a) how much you like the theme, b) getting your head around the few player interaction issues you have to deal with (so far!), and c) your interest in Legacy games and unlocking new things for your game.

Da
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
DocSavage2001 wrote:
Betty's first attempt at the Raiding Milestone sunk her ship, but she managed it on the second attempt during the first Year, so at the end of the game, we will unlock our first chest!

It's been a long time since I've been at this point in the campaign so I might be misremembering, but most of the unlock milestones have you opening the box immediately. I don't remember having to wait until the end of the game to open a box. If the Captain's Booke entry for the milestone instructed you to wait until the end of the game, then ignore me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
DocSavage2001 wrote:
Betty's first attempt at the Raiding Milestone sunk her ship, but she managed it on the second attempt during the first Year, so at the end of the game, we will unlock our first chest!

It's been a long time since I've been at this point in the campaign so I might be misremembering, but most of the unlock milestones have you opening the box immediately. I don't remember having to wait until the end of the game to open a box. If the Captain's Booke entry for the milestone instructed you to wait until the end of the game, then ignore me.

I think the first couple did tell you to wait until the end of the game to open the box. But I agree, it's been a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
DocSavage2001 wrote:

Yeah, this one specifically says, not only to wait until the end of the game, but also to wait to open it until all the end game stuff (ship upgrades, choosing advisors, etc) is done. I think the choices there would have been different if I knew the box contents before then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting to see you attempting it this way.

You have made a couple of statements that I don't necessarily want to spoil you on, so I'll put things in spoiler tags. I won't give specifics, just generalities:

Explore vs. Raid vs. Merchant:
If you stick to all of these as pure strategies, Explore is likely to win. It's primarily a game about exploration, but the winner tends to be the one who does some of each, when the situation calls for it -- I think for your merchant to have a chance, you'd have to rule that the raider and the explorer CANNOT do anything but raid and explore (i.e. they CAN'T build or upgrade or buy treasure -- so all their gold would just be wasted -- and obviously the explore and raid upgrades would be too, unless "found".)

Many players who have chosen a "strategy", thinking they should all be balanced, have been quite disappointed.

That being said, it will be interesting to follow and see how it plays out -- Playing solo, it likely wouldn't be disheartening if one "strategy" falls behind, as much as an interesting study.

Game Length:
You said "as the game gets longer" in reference to your merchant being able to do better: it seems like it should, but it rarely does. It may be different if you're playing pure strategies (if the explorer/raider run out of things they can do), but even at max glory, we often saw games ending before the first year was up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pulled the trigger when it was $40. But amazon had it down to $25 at one point. I'll b following this because I too don't have people to play with (if I actually get people together we do imperial assault) but the theme and legacy seems pretty cool. Keep it up! I'll prob end up playing this game sooo too (as it isn't really worth it to resell it since the price has crashed on this game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any updates?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnb4bgg wrote:
any updates?

Glad I didn't buy this game, even at $25. Yes, it's hard to pass up at that price, but my gaming time is limited and I'd rather use it to play: Gloomhaven, First Martians, Mage Knight, Roll Player, Shadowrun: Crossfire, etc.

Also, the lack of updates seemed to back up the belief that this game just ain't worth the time (also, it was the only game mentioned in a negative way during the 2017 Dice Tower Awards, so that's a big clue right there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmmayo wrote:
Also, the lack of updates seemed to back up the belief that this game just ain't worth the time (also, it was the only game mentioned in a negative way during the 2017 Dice Tower Awards, so that's a big clue right there).

The game is worth the time *if* it's your type of game. The problem is that the game really isn't for everyone, resulting in fairly highly polarized responses. There are people who have played three (maybe more) FULL CAMPAIGNS at this point. Clearly it's well worth the time commitment for some! I have only played through once, but if I had the opportunity (ie, a local group that had already played or didn't mind that I have spoiler knowledge), I'd play it again.

SeaFall is a fairly heavyweight Ameri-Euro-trash hypbrid with strong luck dependency and direct conflict between players and with long-ish game length and heavy long-term time commitment. It's a niche market, but well worth playing if you're in that niche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
cmmayo wrote:

The game is worth the time *if* it's your type of game.

Sorry, I meant specifically for the solo experience. Even at $25, it doesn't appear to be worth it just for solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.