New Angeles» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on drawing action cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew C
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hi guys! I'm reading the rules for New Angeles and I just wanted to make sure I understood action card drawing properly before my first game. So from what I understand:

1) All players draw 3 cards at the start of the game of the types specified on their corporation card.
2) Each player draws those same 3 card types when they become the active player, which is when they reveal an asset card and start off the deal by setting the first offer.

The reason this confuses me a little is, let's say you're playing a 6 player game and you're the 6th player. You draw your 3 cards, and that's all you'll have for the first 5 action rounds. So say in action round 1, you spend 1 card to vote. Then in action round 2, you submit a counteroffer, it gets replaced by another counteroffer, and then you vote. Now you're out of cards, and you have absolutely no influence on the game for the next 3 deals and are left their twiddling your thumbs until you are the active player. However, player 1 starts with their starting 3 cards, and then immediately draws 3 MORE cards at the start of the first deal (since they're the active player). Even though player 1 has to spend one of their 6 cards for the first offer, that still means player 1 has 5 action cards to use for 5 deals, while player 6 is starved for cards and only has 3. And throughout the game in general, if you only get 3 cards every 5 rounds, I'm worried that everyone will want to hoard them and only use them on counteroffers to hope to get assets they want, rather than using them to vote.

Anyway, I haven't played the game yet so I have no idea if the lack of cards is really a problem in practice. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding the rules. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
The sixth player starts the game with 20 15 Capital to compensate.

Also, winning offers doesn't necessarily win you the game. The game is won and lost via the support phase. You should support offers that will feed your private contract.

You should propose an offer when the available Asset is powerful and New Angeles' corporations agree that your offer is the best of the lot. Consider that, when you win an offer, it's likely you will not win another offer right away since your action cards lose "value" as offers once they win deals.

E.g. After removing two outage tokens from New Angeles, none remain. Do you think your action cards will win more offers? It's unlikely.

You win future offers when you support offers that feed your private contract. You should block deals that increase the value of your rival's private contract.

Unfortunately, it can take players at least 2-3 playthroughs to understand this...so winning to them equals winning deals. But, that is simply not the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Just double checking, but the sixth player starts with 15 Capital, right? 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15?

It definitely makes sense to support offers that other players make that feeds your private contract. For example, if you're Jinteki, it makes sense to support actions other players propose that involve removing illness tokens... but the problem is that Jinteki themselves (I assume) are likely the only ones to old such action cards, since they're the only ones that draw two biotech cards? Which brings me back to the concerns of players only using action cards as offers or counteroffers since they themselves hold the actions that support their private contract. Then again, I suppose it's just something that I need to play the game and see for myself. I'm just happy I wasn't misunderstanding the rules!

Also one other quick rules question if you don't mind: Under what circumstances do emergency action cards get flipped back up? They're not flipped up at the start of your turn like an exhausted asset, right? So are they generally considered to be one-time use cards for the entire game?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fadeout4 wrote:

Also one other quick rules question if you don't mind: Under what circumstances do emergency action cards get flipped back up? They're not flipped up at the start of your turn like an exhausted asset, right? So are they generally considered to be one-time use cards for the entire game?

Thanks!

The Security Deck has an offer that allows an emergency power to be flipped to its front side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.