Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Isle of Trains» Forums » Rules

Subject: Claim vs Complete – confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Dunn
United Kingdom
Ashby-de-la-Zouch
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for the Deliver action seem to switch between the use of “claim” and “complete” when referring to contracts.

To me “claiming” a contract means taking one from the map after delivering the goods for it, and applies to primary contracts. But in the Deliver section of the rules it says:

1. “Goods can be delivered to complete a contract…” (makes sense)
2. “The player may claim one contract with some cargo and draw cards with another…” (shouldn’t this be complete?)
3. “When claiming a contract players must be able to fulfil the whole contract…” (shouldn’t this be completing?)
4. “…Discard the cargo cards and claim the contract by placing it in the player’s area.” (shouldn’t this be complete?)
5. “When the secondary contract is complete…” (we’re back to complete again)
6. "A player cannot claim another contract card until one of the secondary contracts on their current contract card is completed” (both used correctly here - claim means “take from the map” and completed means “completed”!)

This is doubly confusing because in the next section the rules state “The end of the game is triggered… when a certain number of Delivery Contract cards have been claimed.” - I assume this also should means completed…??!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joninashby wrote:
The rules for the Deliver action seem to switch between the use of “claim” and “complete” when referring to contracts.

To me “claiming” a contract means taking one from the map after delivering the goods for it, and applies to primary contracts. But in the Deliver section of the rules it says:

1. “Goods can be delivered to complete a contract…” (makes sense)
2. “The player may claim one contract with some cargo and draw cards with another…” (shouldn’t this be complete?)
3. “When claiming a contract players must be able to fulfil the whole contract…” (shouldn’t this be completing?)
4. “…Discard the cargo cards and claim the contract by placing it in the player’s area.” (shouldn’t this be complete?)
5. “When the secondary contract is complete…” (we’re back to complete again)
6. "A player cannot claim another contract card until one of the secondary contracts on their current contract card is completed” (both used correctly here - claim means “take from the map” and completed means “completed”!)

This is doubly confusing because in the next section the rules state “The end of the game is triggered… when a certain number of Delivery Contract cards have been claimed.” - I assume this also should means completed…??!!


You've got it right... "Claim" means take from the map, i.e. do the primary contract, and "complete" means do one of the two secondary contracts.

That's the reason for the two terms, to differentiate between doing the primary contract and the secondary contract.

The game end triggers when a certain number of contracts have been CLAIMED - taken from the map... not COMPLETED. So you can finish the game with a contract in front of you that you have claimed, but you have not completed the secondary contract for. You still get points for having claimed the primary contract.

Edit: That said, those points might be clearer if they were written like this:
1. “Goods can be delivered to claim or complete a contract…”
2. “The player may claim or complete one contract with some cargo and draw cards with another…”
3. “When claiming or completing a contract, players must be able to fulfill the whole contract…”
4. “…Discard the cargo cards and claim the contract by placing it in the player’s area.”
5. “When the secondary contract is complete…”
6. "A player cannot claim another contract card until one of the secondary contracts on their current contract card is completed

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dunn
United Kingdom
Ashby-de-la-Zouch
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
4. “…Discard the cargo cards and claim the contract by placing it in the player’s area.”


I would still avoid using "claim" here as it implies taking from the map. I would suggest "Discard the cargo cards to complete the contract, then place the completed contract card in the player's area."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joninashby wrote:
Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
4. “…Discard the cargo cards and claim the contract by placing it in the player’s area.”


I would still avoid using "claim" here as it implies taking from the map. I would suggest "Discard the cargo cards to complete the contract, then place the completed contract card in the player's area."

We were trying to avoid confusion between CLAIMING a contract (from the map) and COMPLETING it (tucking it behind your engine).

You can't both claim a contract from the map and also complete it at the same time (that would be doing 2 contracts, the primary and the secondary ones) at the same time, and you can only do 1 contract per delivery.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dunn
United Kingdom
Ashby-de-la-Zouch
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah I was thinking this referred to secondary contracts but it refers to primary ones; it's clear when looking back at the original rules.

All clear now - thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joninashby wrote:
Ah I was thinking this referred to secondary contracts but it refers to primary ones; it's clear when looking back at the original rules.

All clear now - thanks.

Glad you've got that cleared up!

Your confusion implies that maybe the wording could be better, I'll let Dice Hate Me know, maybe it can be adjusted if the game ever gets a reprint.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.