Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been going through the basic rules and trying to play this game but I found that the rulebook is very hard to understand. There is no explanation of what does what and what icon stand for what on the board. Eventually you find a reference for it somewhere casually like you should have already known it anyway.

Long story short is there rulebook for this game that does a better job at explaining the (base) game? I really like the game but the rules for the base game already horrifying.

Thank you in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesc Lopez
United States
West Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Just a geek, nothing to see here, move along
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Have you tried to watch videos to get a sense of how to play?

I think radho goes through the basic rules:

And the author goes through the advance rules

I learnt watching those videos and reading the latest advance rules (3.0 L rulebook). I never played the basic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NEVER EVER LEARN THE RULES FROM RHADO - ANY GAME!

OK to see if a game is great for you.

There are a couple of rules in R90 to always remember:

1. Always start with leader and move backwards.
2. Cars must move once and only once.

At some point when things get a bit complicated, players start to invent rules and figure out what makes sense. Ending up in a mess. Just check the rules section. (And Rhado)

Simple solution:
LOOK UP THE RULES!

Quick and easy. Most is solved in a single sentence.

Start playing.
You encounter the first robot car in a corner that will be one lap down?
Stop thinking!
Look up the rules.
Quick and easy.

Remember the game is designed to be simple and fun. Not a complicated simulator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through the basic rules. I've seen the first part of Rahdo's playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kostas nikolo
Greece
Iraklio
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll find the flowchart under files section very helpful...

edit: link added
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to go more in details:

There is some learning curve, but not steep.

There is no shortcut by reading the rules twice and watching some tutorial videos and think you have learn the game.

Only way is to learn by doing. A player aid is a good idea. Start slow solitaire with couple of player cars.

R!90 is strictly procedural. Carry out each step according to rules or player aid. After an hour you know 90% of game play. And most of game turns you play without checking the rules.

At some point you will run into a situation you are unfamiliar with. Check rules for correct procedure.

If you are stuck, please ask here at BGG with reference to the rule you have problem with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing this awesome game for years.
I understand the rules but still makes some mistakes when playing, but as long every player in the game play by the same rules/mistakes, this is still a fun and addictive game!
And I still get surprised when othe gamers here at bgg talk about the different strategies, which I never have played.
Buy the game, read the rules, play the game, play the game, consult the rules, ask here, play the game and then play the game again!
Buy any expansion you can get your hands on and don't forget to download the fanmade circuits too in the file section!
I've been around long enough to have played Speed Circuit, Formula Dé, Thunder Alley, R.A.S.C. and other racing games, but this one is the winner by miles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ballou
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the original rules are a little tricky to read. Each section builds on the previous events in the rules. It helps to set up the board and follow the actions detailed in the rules. Once I realized this was how they were written, they became quite easy to follow.

The basic game itself is not that hard. I can teach it in 15 minutes, the strategies are the most complex part, as choosing the correct one is very circumstance dependent, thus hard to explain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
meijerc wrote:
I have been going through the basic rules and trying to play this game but I found that the rulebook is very hard to understand. There is no explanation of what does what and what icon stand for what on the board. Eventually you find a reference for it somewhere casually like you should have already known it anyway. :(

Long story short is there rulebook for this game that does a better job at explaining the (base) game? I really like the game but the rules for the base game already horrifying.

Thank you in advance! :D

Do like I did :
1)Try "Championship Formula Racing", a new game released in 2017, easier to understand,
and
2) Pass your Harvard Business School MBA in order to understand Race Formula 90.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilum2008 wrote:
meijerc wrote:
I have been going through the basic rules and trying to play this game but I found that the rulebook is very hard to understand. There is no explanation of what does what and what icon stand for what on the board. Eventually you find a reference for it somewhere casually like you should have already known it anyway.

Thank you in advance!

Do like I did :
1)Try "Championship Formula Racing", a new game released in 2017, easier to understand,
and
2) Pass your Harvard Business School MBA in order to understand Race Formula 90.

Have you seen the amount of questions about the rules for CFR?
I love(d) Speed Circuit and had high hopes for CFR, but the amount of questions about the rules has turned it down for me.
I would say Formula Dé is an easier game to learn, but only go there if you like to count a lot. That killed the game for me.
Therefor Race! F90 is the game for me - especially due to the robots - and I will be playing this game for a long time.
May I recommend Thunder Alley if you are into NASCAR. Very easy to learn and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
Slotracer wrote:
pilum2008 wrote:
meijerc wrote:
I have been going through the basic rules and trying to play this game but I found that the rulebook is very hard to understand. There is no explanation of what does what and what icon stand for what on the board. Eventually you find a reference for it somewhere casually like you should have already known it anyway. :(

Thank you in advance! :D

Do like I did :
and

I love(d) Speed Circuit and had high hopes for CFR, but the amount of questions about the rules has turned it down for me.
I would say Formula Dé is an easier game to learn, but only go there if you like to count a lot. That killed the game for me.
Therefor Race! F90 is the game for me - especially due to the robots - and I will be playing this game for a long time.
May I recommend Thunder Alley if you are into NASCAR. Very easy to learn and play.

HAVE YOU SEEN the super amount of questions about the rules for rf90?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:

I own both games and have played them. The general rules for CFR are much easier than those for Race! Formula 90. Only the rules for Historical Drivers (robot drivers) could have been explained better but are clear after a few races and reading a few rule threads on BGG.
That does not mean that CFR is better, both games are good, but very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, very very frustrating that basic information like this is missing from the rules. If you look in the files section there is a Basic Rules summary that has an actual legend on the first page that describes most of the symbols on the track. It is a godsend.

It is still missing a few of them, like Track Contest Modifier for corners. It is the Big Red Name with a number inside two cards on the board.

I just learned the game yesterday and it took me about 6 hours for the basic game. Most of it was hunting for what the (*&( is that suppose to be. Everything does make sense once you know what it is, but the rules were written by people that can not remember what it is like to learn a game that they have never seen before. If you do not know what a Trajectory looks like, it is very abstract. In fact most of my assumptions of what I thought things were ended up being wrong, until I hunted for the the information from other sources.

A pity since the game looks great, but the rules need a lot of work. Even the only instructional video from the designer, has pop ups for corrections that you are suppose to pick up on because he is not playing the game correctly.

It is also not a great video for learning (I know that is not the purpose of that video) since he is mixing elements in excess of the basic rules that first time players are trying to figure out.

Anyway, I got through two soloish games yesterday (playing a basic two player game solo) and read the advanced rules afterwards so I am pretty sure I can get a decent game out of it next time I play with my game group.

D.

meijerc wrote:

Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.